Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How much do you spend per month....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I actually have an independent bank account tied to my PayPal account. I have an automatic transfer from my main bank account into my buying account every month. I also keep a very small credit card tied to my PP account.

After I spend the money I've allowanced myself for the month, I have to sell in order to buy more, or I don't buy more.

I should mention...this account is for all of my extraneous spending...not just cards.

I have so many bank accounts...I save 25% of all the money I bring home in a savings account...I have my spending account...my regular bank account...another savings account...if I didn't keep my funds separate like this, I'd blow it all on cards.

LuckySlugger

Aug 7, 2008
Alabama
383astro said:
LuckySlugger said:
Not as much as I would like. That is for certain.

But ever since I completed my set, I really haven't bought anything with the exception of a few Samardzijas.

That set ranks in my top 10 of sweetest sets I have seen completed. Very nice, congrats

Thanks, Im still "working" on it. Just trying to upgrade some of the weaker patches.

trcardcollector

Aug 9, 2008
Keep in mind I'm 16 years old.

Back when I had a regular job (restaurant). I would bring home roughly $400/month including tips. I put my checks in my checking account, and used my cash tips to pay for mailing packages out (Team Collectors group). It was really handy...bringing home $30-$50 in cash in small bills works great for shipping packages! Then I'd use the rest (checking) for whatever I want. Itunes, video games, cards (mostly), clothes, shoes, whatever....

I also detasseled corn in the summer (very hot, dirty work, up at 4:30a.m. walking about 10 miles a day picking corn tassles.) for $15/hour, 8 hours a day, 7 days a week for 1 month. Now THAT was good money!

I saved up 2 summers worth of "corn" money for the National last summer. I spent about $4,400 on cards in 2 1/2 days - including a case of 2008 Classics football. That was a really fun trip.

Now my job isn't so regular. I work in my dad's shop (automotive) on the weekends listing car parts on ebay (also do all the dirty work - cleaning parts, wrapping, boxing, and labeling). I usually list 20-30 every week. I get $10/hour, but for only 2 days a week it doesn't really add up to as much as I'd like. I haven't been to the local card shop in over 3 months... :(

I can't keep a "regular" job because of my schedule. School, sports, working on my racecar, racing, and working for my dad takes up all my time. I use to work Fri/Sat nights, but long hours in the garage and at the track made me quit. And my boss was a jerk. I waited tables and did dishes (small mom and pop cafe) on Friday and Saturday nights, and for 7 months I NEVER MISSED A NIGHT. I can't tell you how many times I gave up going out with my friends, or doing other fun activities because I was needed at the restaurant. Then I switched tracks and started to race on Sat. night (previously raced on Thurs. so it wasn't a problem) and my boss threw a fit. Come on now, I gave up 28 Friday and Saturday nights of hanging out with my friends and doing stuff I wanted to do to help his business succeed, and I ask for a few nights off at the end of the season and he explodes in my face :evil: WTF?? I'm a teenager...can I at least enjoy my time while I have it?

So I quit and that really threw a stick in the gears for the restaurant.:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I used to spend $300/month on cards but now it's probably around $100. I'm starting to spend more on other things.

383astro

Jan 13, 2009
Oklahoma
trcardcollector said:
Keep in mind I'm 16 years old.

Back when I had a regular job (restaurant). I would bring home roughly $400/month including tips. I put my checks in my checking account, and used my cash tips to pay for mailing packages out (Team Collectors group). It was really handy...bringing home $30-$50 in cash in small bills works great for shipping packages! Then I'd use the rest (checking) for whatever I want. Itunes, video games, cards (mostly), clothes, shoes, whatever....

I also detasseled corn in the summer (very hot, dirty work, up at 4:30a.m. walking about 10 miles a day picking corn tassles.) for $15/hour, 8 hours a day, 7 days a week for 1 month. Now THAT was good money!

I saved up 2 summers worth of "corn" money for the National last summer. I spent about $4,400 on cards in 2 1/2 days - including a case of 2008 Classics football. That was a really fun trip.

Now my job isn't so regular. I work in my dad's shop (automotive) on the weekends listing car parts on ebay (also do all the dirty work - cleaning parts, wrapping, boxing, and labeling). I usually list 20-30 every week. I get $10/hour, but for only 2 days a week it doesn't really add up to as much as I'd like. I haven't been to the local card shop in over 3 months... :(

I can't keep a "regular" job because of my schedule. School, sports, working on my racecar, racing, and working for my dad takes up all my time. I use to work Fri/Sat nights, but long hours in the garage and at the track made me quit. And my boss was a jerk. I waited tables and did dishes (small mom and pop cafe) on Friday and Saturday nights, and for 7 months I NEVER MISSED A NIGHT. I can't tell you how many times I gave up going out with my friends, or doing other fun activities because I was needed at the restaurant. Then I switched tracks and started to race on Sat. night (previously raced on Thurs. so it wasn't a problem) and my boss threw a fit. Come on now, I gave up 28 Friday and Saturday nights of hanging out with my friends and doing stuff I wanted to do to help his business succeed, and I ask for a few nights off at the end of the season and he explodes in my face :evil: WTF?? I'm a teenager...can I at least enjoy my time while I have it?

So I quit and that really threw a stick in the gears for the restaurant.:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I used to spend $300/month on cards but now it's probably around $100. I'm starting to spend more on other things.

What kind of race car you got? I got a 04 GTO (family car) with a few mods and a 00 Trans Am (race car) Twin Turbo 408 with a conservative tune. Runs 9.44 @ 146. Fun Ride.

jflan702

Sep 25, 2008
outside of Boston
I used to get up to about $500/month. Then I stopped Ebay cold turkey and limited my sets to just a couple of the basics. Now I am down to less than $50/month. Not too bad considering the economy and all. Not really trying to cut back, just sort of fed up with Topps and UD right now. Watch out once DLP comes back! ;)

383astro

Jan 13, 2009
Oklahoma
trcardcollector said:
notjomommasclint - I race on dirt tracks (oval 1/2 mile). 1986 Monte Carlo stock car. About a $15,000/summer hobby.

sounds like a blast, except for the cost part of the deal.

trcardcollector

Aug 9, 2008
383astro said:
trcardcollector said:
notjomommasclint - I race on dirt tracks (oval 1/2 mile). 1986 Monte Carlo stock car. About a $15,000/summer hobby.

sounds like a blast, except for the cost part of the deal.

It's the biggest rush of my life. Coming off the backstretch going into turn 3 at around 90mph with other cars 6 inches in front and behind of me is a huge adrenaline rush. I've also had some pretty bad crashes. The worst was when another car got into me (see PIT maneuver on cops) and we both hit the wall at full speed. He started to barrel roll and my car got on top of his. Something hooked, and my car was launched over 25 feet up into the air (video shows that my car was higher than the fence that keeps the cars from the spectators). I landed straight up and down on the nose and then proceeded to roll onto the top. At first they thought my back was broken, but it wasn't. Just some really bad bruising and spinal pain. We fixed the car and I raced the next week and won the A feature.

Am I crazy?....well possibly....am I doing what I love? Without a doubt!!!!

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
It changes during certain times. Right now 0-500. That includes what I spend on new cards, and when I grade 6-12 cards per month. Usually its somewhere around 50-200 or so per month.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
wolfmanalfredo said:
It changes during certain times. Right now 0-500. That includes what I spend on new cards, and when I grade 6-12 cards per month. Usually its somewhere around 50-200 or so per month.
That's about what I spend each month

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
Between Tulowitzki and my prospecting attempts...I've been spending a little too much each month.

But, almost every card (not including Tulowitzki's) I've purchased will likely be gone before the end of the season.

So, the money I spend usually comes back and I start again.

This summer I sold a chunk of cards to pay for part of a trip to Portland...it is nice to always have a liquid investment laying around that is fun and enjoyable to purchase and own for a little while.

Latest posts