Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How you get a story featured in the Beckett?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Why do I have a feeling when someone does come forward with this card either they will want 10x's the going value cause they know there is a banana going after it.

OR

The op expects a "deal" on this card cause he is Josh Hamilton's #1 fan ever.

Just a feeling.

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
I will try to offer some constructive criticism. Although I'm not an English teacher, so taking my advise may not be the wisest. As your "article" stands right now it shouldn't be published in an elementary school newspaper, let alone a national publication. Ok that was my harsh assessment. Now I will try to help.

"First off if you don't know what this card is, it's the 1999 Bowman Chrome Josh Hamilton Gold Refractor Rookie, this card is serial numbered to just 25! Which means its very limited, and extremely hard to find." Run on first sentence. Put a period after Rookie. Delete exclamation point and put in a comma. Wrong use of its should be it's.

"In the last two years I've done well in depth research on this card." - What are you trying to say here, if nothing else take out the word well. (Should put where you researched part here)

"It's been estimated that about five people that owned one of the twenty-five possible Hamilton's sent there's in to get Professionally Graded by PSA. Also an additional three more people that owned one of the possible twenty-five, sent there's in to get graded Professionally by Beckett. So that's a total of eight that have been graded. ". Get to the point - According to Professional Sports Authenticators (PSA) and Beckett Grading Service (BGS), eight of the 25 Gold Refractors have been graded. (this is a fact, it shouldn't be "about 5", it either is or isn't, look at the registries)

"In all likelihood there's still a possibility that out of the twenty-five possible to own, there may be still two or three in packs". I don't like this sentence at all. You have no way of knowing this, but I guess I see what you are trying to say, but needs work.

"The only way you can obtain this card out of a pack is from the 1999 Bowman Chrome Series 2 Hobby Box with (Chavez) on the cover. Lastly there's a possibility that they may be a few of these ungraded, like the scan above, that I am able to obtain." This card was originally inserted into 1999 Bowman Chrome Series 2 Hobby Boxes. The actual odds of pulling this card out of a pack are (1: (take the odds of pulling a gold ref. then times the number of subjects, not doing your research for you).

"According to my research there's been a total of nine Gold Refractor Hamilton's listed on eBay in the last four years. The most recent being A PSA 9 that sold for six-hundred and fifty dollars, only after two hours of being listed (Source WorthPoint.com). The estimated value of this card is well over one-thousand dollars." I have always been told if it is less than ten, you type the number, if it is 11 or higher you use the numbers. $650. after only. How can the estimated value be $1,000 when you just said it sold for $650? Wouldn't that be the value?

"I've looked everywhere to find out information about this card, multiple card forums, eBay, completed listings, I even found out that in Hamilton's hometown Raleigh, NC a sports card store owner has this card in his card shop, which many people have asked about but I've been told that isn't for sale. The one chance I had to buy this card on eBay somebody bought it before I could. Hopefully I get another chance to buy this card someday." I didn't realize that ebay, and completed listings were two separate entities. Period after listings. During my research I even found... Please reword the whole sentence about the card shop.

I'm probably the biggest Josh Hamilton fan in the world, I've seen a lot of big Hamilton fans, but I know for a fact that I'm one of the biggest fans of his. Adding this card to my collection would certainly be great, because Josh Hamilton is a true inspiration to me in many ways. Period after world. You've seen a lot of big Hamilton fans (as in they are all fat?), or do you know of a lot of other Hamilton fans? Again I don't like the way this sounds, try to rework. You also say he has inspired you, but you never say how. I mean did he inspire you to quit taking drugs? You were down and out and he showed you can overcome any obstacle, do you volunteer now to help kids on drugs, or did you just watch him hit a bunch of HRs in home run derby?

first found out about Hamilton's story in April in 07, I remember seeing it one day on sportscenter after he hit his first career homerun, I thought to myself thats a great story. But I just never realized how good Hamilton was until I saw him in the 08 Homerun Derby in Yankee Stadium, when he put on one of the greatest shows of all time. I then began to become a true Josh Hamilton Fan, and I've been following his career since then. I own two of his jerseys, one 08 all-star jersey, and one rangers white authentic home jersey. Out of all the 99 Bowman Chrome Series rookie cards he has I'm only missing the Gold Refractor. I truly consider Josh Hamilton my hero and idol, I'm looking forward to possibly meeting him at Yankee Stadium on April 16th, 2011 when he plays the Yankees, I have seats 3rd row on the Third Baseline where he'll possibly be warming up before the game. I surely do hope so to obtain this card someday, it'll definitely mean a lot to me to have it. I'm exhausted just reading this, let alone trying to fix it.

Here are some overall points
1. Try to clean the flow up. You are kind of all over the place as far as topics.
2. Everywhere you said "that" delete it. "That" and "just" are not needed when writing a research paper (which I am not sure if this is or isn't or what)
3. I personally would split this up into two articles. One about why you like him, and the second your wanting this card.
4. This article sounds like you are trying to get the card for free. Offer some trade bait or that you aren't looking for a handout
5. Spellcheck.

Again not tyring to be harsh, but if Beckett prints this, well then I don't even...

A_Pharis

Journalism sophomore that doesn't know the term "solicit" nor how to look it up before asking what it means?

Ouch.

And the fact that you have seen so many come and go just says to me that you aren't as big a fan as you think you are. If you were his true "biggest fan" and REALLY wanted this card, you would have shelled out whatever it took.

Go sell plasma or ***** if you can't afford it. Hell, get a low interest credit card you can pay off quickly.

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
I've had quite a few cards that were short printed listed/photo in the guide. No articles though.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
J_Hamilton_32 said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:
[quote="J_Hamilton_32":262wevtf]

ur opinion bud, i can't help the fact that person that considered the article said he'd give it a thought.
Okay "bud."

You're the journalism student right? Do me a favor. Print out that blog entry as it is posted and submit it to any of your professors in school, ask them if it's printable. You're a second year student in college (per your blog bio) and yet you're clamoring for this card like a 7-year-old wanting a Han Solo figure on Christmas morning circa 1977.

For the sake of your journalism career, let's hope you're at least average looking and can read a teleprompter because that's the best case scenario for your journalism career at this point if you're so proud of that tripe you posted.

(On a side note, where the hell is this country going to when a sophomore in college doesn't know the word "solicit" yet he will be required to solicit the opinion of others on a daily basis?)

1, I didn't even edit it, 2 guarantee I know more about sports then you, 3 you're just hating for no reason.[/quote:262wevtf]
THAN; "I know more about sports THAN you" (although I would believe that statement to be false)

While editing has to be done on all works before publication, the original work shouldn't be that rough in a rough copy.

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
mudflap02 said:
AKA Coastal said:
I've had quite a few cards that were short printed listed/photo in the guide. No articles though.

Is that a banner ad in your signature? I have never seen that before in my life.

Yea, tracks impressions, clicks, leads, ctr, cpm, and epc on a site. Just a little experiment I've been running looking into sports website traffic. I've been taking some internet marketing classes at night. Kinda of a hobby.

Jakpi20

Aug 7, 2008
Did anyone mention the title yet? "How you get a story featured in the Beckett?"

Do. [strike:3u8wv7lk]the[/strike:3u8wv7lk]

Not trying to be a jerk but I don't think this is very funny.... I would never wish or hope someone relapses, especially a great story like Hamilton. I think you missed the joke/sarcasm/morbid line.

Someone cuts you in the lunch line

Joke - "Oh good, I was hoping you were going to stand in front of me so I could wait longer, thank you"

Morbid - "I hope you get in a car accident on your way home. I hope this accident ends in a fiery explosion, where you are thrust into water. After feeling your skin cinged and all your nerves burning, you then drown, slowly."

thefasterblade said:
Let's all hope that the day you grow the courage to get this card is the day that Hamilton will relapse.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
J_Hamilton_32 said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:
[quote="J_Hamilton_32":2r39o75s]
LLWesMan said:
I'm sure I'm the jerk here but how is wanting a card a story? I want a Ferrari - should I email Car + Driver about doing a feature on me?

no cause it also gives well in depth background on the card, also pretty sure people have one and they don't even realize it.
Come on now, "in depth background on the card"?!?! You're serious about that right?

Good grief.

It's a rare parallel variation of a card that came out in 1999 of one of the biggest prospects baseball had ever seen. There's the background of the card.

I can't tell if you're of clear mind or a victim of a carefully placed icepick in the frontal lobe.

You claim, "I'm probably the biggest Josh Hamilton fan in the world, I've seen a lot of big Hamilton fans, but I know for a fact that I'm one of the biggest fans of his." How exactly do you quantify that lunacy? Is there a Josh Hamilton convention every year in Apex NC where you ritually whip each other on his parents' front lawn? Do you collect and/or consume his garbage? Stalk is favorite establishments just asking to smell his napkin?

That's what the "biggest fans" would do isn't it?

Do you own a copy of his high school yearbook? Junior high? Grass from his high school baseball field?

Come on now Johnny Big Fan, I want to see the blood of a true fan.

As for your article/blog getting published, good luck with that. Don't take this the wrong way...but you can't write. Not a lick. Sure maybe you'll get a mention (and probably a restraining order if you're as annoying to Beckett about that card as you are here) but not anything else.

Too blunt? Sorry, scratch that...don't care.

I think it'd be worth everyone adding a couple bucks into an auction (should this card arise) just to keep it away from you, incinerate it and then scatter the ashes in Tibet.

I can't think of the last time I used this phrase, but "shut the _____ up" certainly seems warranted with your obsession over this silly card.

ur opinion bud, i can't help the fact that person that considered the article said he'd give it a thought.[/quote:2r39o75s]
That THE person? Think/reread before you submit

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Wow, this thread really took off since I checked in this morning.

Pityflowers

That is all.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
Card Magnet said:
[quote="J_Hamilton_32":2ty80vti]
200lbhockeyplayer said:
[quote="J_Hamilton_32":2ty80vti]

ur opinion bud, i can't help the fact that person that considered the article said he'd give it a thought.
Okay "bud."

You're the journalism student right? Do me a favor. Print out that blog entry as it is posted and submit it to any of your professors in school, ask them if it's printable. You're a second year student in college (per your blog bio) and yet you're clamoring for this card like a 7-year-old wanting a Han Solo figure on Christmas morning circa 1977.

For the sake of your journalism career, let's hope you're at least average looking and can read a teleprompter because that's the best case scenario for your journalism career at this point if you're so proud of that tripe you posted.

(On a side note, where the hell is this country going to when a sophomore in college doesn't know the word "solicit" yet he will be required to solicit the opinion of others on a daily basis?)

1, I didn't even edit it, 2 guarantee I know more about sports then you, 3 you're just hating for no reason.[/quote:2ty80vti]
THAN; "I know more about sports THAN you" (although I would believe that statement to be false)While editing has to be done on all works before publication, the original work shouldn't be that rough in a rough copy.[/quote:2ty80vti]

THANK YOU!! Why can't people get the "then" and "than" thing figured out?

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
I am not trying to pile on but there is a difference between an in depth piece and a want ad. Going a step further I hope you realize that any extra exposure only makes it more difficult to land one.

BTW, a PSA registry does not reflect reslabs.

Members online

Latest posts