Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How you get a story featured in the Beckett?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J_Hamilton_32

Sep 9, 2009
this will be my last post regarding the topic and card, I appreciate the constructive criticism about the piece, I didn't realize so many people would hate on it or I wouldn't have posted. Also I'm pretty sure in journalism, there's always editors that edit stories. I thought it'd be a good piece to have in the Beckett, because as I've been reading through the posts people don't realize how hard this card is to get. Only one hit eBay all of 2010 and it sold in 2 hours. I would've have gotten it, but my search thing was messed up that sends me emails. Thats why I'd thought posting this in the Beckett would be a good idea. Don't worry I won't mention this card on this board again.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
J_Hamilton_32 said:
this will be my last post regarding the topic and card, I appreciate the constructive criticism about the piece, I didn't realize so many people would hate on it or I wouldn't have posted. Also I'm pretty sure in journalism, there's always editors that edit stories. I thought it'd be a good piece to have in the Beckett, because as I've been reading through the posts people don't realize how hard this card is to get. Only one hit eBay all of 2010 and it sold in 2 hours. I would've have gotten it, but my search thing was messed up that sends me emails. Thats why I'd thought posting this in the Beckett would be a good idea. Don't worry I won't mention this card on this board again.

My best advice to you is just be patient. "Only one hit EBay all of 2010," I've got cards that I'm looking for that have never hit EBay once in over 10 years!! It will come but be prepared you are going to pay for it once it does. Decide what you will pay for it, double it, add $100, and then set your snipe.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
J_Hamilton_32 said:

So, you plan on getting paid for some job in journalism, then let someone else fix your hacked up articles? Just throw down some random thoughts and sentence fragments and let the other guy do the writing for you, huh? Guess I'm in the wrong business.

Matsuicollector

Aug 7, 2008
mudflap02 said:
Brewer Andy said:
Wow, this thread really took off since I checked in this morning.

Pityflowers

That is all.

PITTYFLOWERBOARDS

It's been a long time since I thought of this, lol.

Also, to the OP, when I read the article I thought it was touching because I thought it was written by some little kid in middle school wanting a card of his favorite player that is no where near affordable for him/his family. But now that I've wasted even more of my time reading through this pointless thread and found out that you're in college, it's kind of pathetic. I don't think people are ripping into just because of your writing, it's because they seem to be tired of hearing you go on about wanting a card like Miss America wants world peace. We all have cards we really want and many of us are mature enough to discuss them once in a while without beating it over others' heads.

elainebenice

Dec 1, 2009
Alabama
wow, I sold 2 of these this morning to some guy for a sweet deal. sorry man....if only you had given this thread a more appropriate title this could have all been avoid...

Sweetness

Mar 1, 2009
Patience!!! Eventually one will show up. It hurts having a chase cards go past what you a willing to pay but sometimes when one sells for a huge price it will cause a few more to hit the auction block.

Just remember drugs are bad!

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
When I first read the blog post, I didn't think it was right to critique it.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one feeling the same way about this piece of literary masterpiece.

Kid might get a Pulitzer for his hard hitting news story.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
Matsuicollector said:
mudflap02 said:
Brewer Andy said:
Wow, this thread really took off since I checked in this morning.

Pityflowers

That is all.

PITTYFLOWERBOARDS
We all have cards we really want and many of us are mature enough to discuss them once in a while without beating it over others' heads.
And start 10 Different threads about them.

abeabe

Oct 3, 2010
I'd like to thank everyone who made this into a 7 page thread, for wasting the past 20 min of my life. Whatever happens I hope you never get your card.

yanxchick

Dec 5, 2009
J_Hamilton_32 said:

I couldn't read this and not say anything.

As a journalist - that's my REAL job - I have editors who check the story to ensure that certain mistakes don't make it through. They are the last line of defense before something makes it into copy. They are NOT your spellchecker, they are NOT your fact checkers (though they do both). You do your own work.

If you want to be a writer in any capacity, you have to learn how to clean up your copy and don't think other people are there to do it for you. Copy editors and reporters work together to make articles better. They are not your lackeys. If an editor needs to spend too much time re-working your articles to get them ready for print, you won't have a job.

Take what people are telling you. There was actually some decent criticism in here about your writing, not negative either.

Members online

Latest posts