Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

im not going to say the word but.......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
It's actually around 193,000 games. Tim K mentioned this stat the other day on ESPN.

ALL_THE_HYPE said:
RandomH said:
Holy cow, just saw this on MLB.com. Crazy stuff. Jim Joyce get's the ::facepalm:: of the season.

Fixed. I can't imagine a more blunder with a bigger impact than this one. Sure they won the game, but in the history of baseball, 20 guys have thrown perfect games. Twenty. In almost 12 MILLION total games, there have been 20 perfect games.

This should have been the 21st.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
Selig made rule changes mid way through the WS in 08. Why he can't just make an executive decision to have a unique overturn of a call? Everyone agrees it was blown. Even the ump himself said so. It only seems right to do. It's such an insanely rare circumstance I don't see how it would set precedent for replay. I REALLY doubt we will ever see a perfect game clearly blown on the final out ever again while we are alive.

He always talks about doing what's in the best interest of the game, and clearly this would be something that would make people think baseball was trying to do something in the best interest for once. Also, it would take some heat off the umping. Leaving it like it is creates WAY more controversy than overturning it I think.

madbull34

Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
Just saw the replay on mlb.com. Wow. He must have known a perfect game was going on with one out left. I hope MLB will change the rules so something like this will never happen again.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
yeah after watching many interviews, tapes, replays, etc. Joyce knows he fracked up big time. At this point it is a "what can you do" situation?

MUCHO KUDOS to Armando for taking this so well. I can honestly say that I wouldn't. I'd be flipping out. And like previous posters have stated, I've become a HUGE fan of his. In fact, I may start looking for some cards of his and start a small PC. I would've never expected in a million years for someone to react DURING and AFTER the game like he did.

As a fan? I would boo the hell out of Joyce, but that's as far as it goes and I hope that is as far as it goes with other fans. In a way I feel bad for the guy b/c he knows he messed up and can't make any amends.

He deserves the boos though ;)

UMich92 said:
Just heard Jim Joyce's interview on the MLB network. Very impressed with how much of a stand up guy he is. He sounded truly upset that he "kicked the ****" out of the call.

Alex

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
the fact there is such a diverse group discussing the topic should explain the 21 pages and counting. if you don't like the amount of posts....DONT CONTRIBUTE

sethyarkony said:
ok we get it.

bad call.

perfect game taken away.

good ref gone bad?

whatever.

this conversation cant possibly be going on...20 pages everything has to have been said.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
While I agree with the bolded statement below, I honestly think it would be just HORRIFIC it MLB just overturned the call and ruled it a perfect game.

There have been THOUSANDS of blown calls over the years and it just happens that this one sticks out like a sore thumb b/c of the circumstances.

You overturn this call, and the "oveturned calls" eventually water down (just like the HOF entrees)

nborton said:
Selig made rule changes mid way through the WS in 08. Why he can't just make an executive decision to have a unique overturn of a call? Everyone agrees it was blown. Even the ump himself said so. It only seems right to do. It's such an insanely rare circumstance I don't see how it would set precedent for replay. I REALLY doubt we will ever see a perfect game clearly blown on the final out ever again while we are alive.

He always talks about doing what's in the best interest of the game, and clearly this would be something that would make people think baseball was trying to do something in the best interest for once. Also, it would take some heat off the umping. Leaving it like it is creates WAY more controversy than overturning it I think.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I wish the official scorer would have the balls to rule the blown call an out in a scoring change due to umpire admitting mistake, but you know MLB admin would toss that because it was based on a replay the umpire saw and that is not a replay reviewable play. I definitely think it should be ruled E1 (if the ump on the field _officially_ calls him safe, then you have to _assume_ that the runner is safe because Galarraga erred in slowly going to the bag instead of racing to the bag to beat the runner).

Replay rule changes - if you hold your breath, you're going to turn blue and die. It's Bonehead Selig we're talking about and he needs to die in office or retire before you are going to see any common sense changes to baseball. Plus, the old fart owners need to go home and get to bed by 11pm so you aren't going to see any rule changes to replay that keeps the old fart owners up past their bedtime.

I don't think the games are too long (3 hours is fine by me) but you have the old farts who think it's too long. I'd like to see instituted when MLB gets a new commish a rule for one non-HR challenge allowed per game. I don't think it'd add more than 5-10
minutes to the length of a game.

Here's what I think Bonehead Selig will do: Thursday morning, call the Director of Umpires with a plan. Director of Umpires calls Joyce. "Jim, take a one-week paid vacation on us until the heat on your missed call subsides. We'll tell the suckers, err MLB fans, that you have been suspended for one week and they'll think there has been some accountability for your actions on Wednesday evening."

JzWand

Jun 8, 2009
Burlington Ontario Canada
Pretty awful call no doubt. But some people have gone to far. And I think its disgusting that this guy will probably get death threats and be ridiculed wherever hes goes.
Full page ads in newspapers??? Cmon that's probably half the guys salary!

Either way, he apologized and the pitcher seems to have taken it in stride as did Leyland.

It was a blown call. It will happen again. Not much you can do about it!

What I would like to see with instant replay is basically what they have in football.
Give each team 1 protest per game. If they are right, they dont lose it. If they are wrong, they just lost their one protest.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
JzWand said:
Pretty awful call no doubt. But some people have gone to far. And I think its disgusting that this guy will probably get death threats and be ridiculed wherever hes goes.
Full page ads in newspapers??? Cmon that's probably half the guys salary!

Either way, he apologized and the pitcher seems to have taken it in stride as did Leyland.

It was a blown call. It will happen again. Not much you can do about it!

What I would like to see with instant replay is basically what they have in football.
Give each team 1 protest per game. If they are right, they dont lose it. If they are wrong, they just lost their one protest.

what would be the consequences for the team that challenges a call and it was the correct call?
Lose an out?

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
While I think it was an awful call with historic ramifications, I do not want to see them overturn it. MLB should not attempt to rewrite history no matter how badly we want them to. I feel for the kid, but changing the scorebook now doesn't really accomplish much. Galarraga knows what he did, and so do we.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
VizquelCollector said:
While I think it was an awful call with historic ramifications, I do not want to see them overturn it. MLB should not attempt to rewrite history no matter how badly we want them to. I feel for the kid, but changing the scorebook now doesn't really accomplish much. Galarraga knows what he did, and so do we.

yes

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
I was at the Trenton Thunder game last night and saw the highlights when I got home, but if you are Jim Joyce how in the hell do you call him safe. At this time you are not worried about making the right call with two outs in the ninth. You call him out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A close call like that Joyce should have never of called safe. End of story. I feel really bad for Armando as he was that close. If it were a solid single off of the bat of Donald than I would be fine, but I used to pitch and I would of killed Joyce if he did that to me. In this case, everyone would want this call overturned including me. It is the right thing to do and no it would not have historic ramifications.

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
Mighty Bombjack said:
VizquelCollector said:

yes

im a yes and no on this. your points are excellent, but every time i see this replay, i just get sick. in 100 years of professional sports, is there ever been a greater travesty? i cant even comprehend what i see. this ump is really gonna have a tough time going forward. pitiful shame.

DetroitTigers

Aug 19, 2008
Canada
And with the blown call as the main focus Jackson's catch is being overlooked to a point, what an amazing catch at that point of the game WOW.

He has been playing an amazing centerfield in Comerica this year! sad to see Armando lose perfection on a blown call, but those things happen I suppose... but it had to be at the worst time ::facepalm::

shephech

Aug 18, 2008
Oh Canada......
In my books, here's the list:

#1- Lee Richmond
#2- John Montgomery Ward
#3- Cy Young
#4- Addie Joss
#5- Charlie Robertson
#6- Don Larsen
#7- Jim Bunning
#8- Sandy Koufax
#9- Catfish Hunter
#10- Len Barker
#11- Mike Witt
#12- Tom Browning
#13- Dennis Martínez
#14- Kenny Rogers
#15- David Wells
#16- David Cone
#17- Randy Johnson
#18- Mark Buehrle
#19- Dallas Braden
#20- Roy Halladay
#21- Armando Galarraga

Yes sir Armando handled this so classy, I have so much respect for him now no doubt... heck he might be my favorite Tiger!

And my take on Jim Joyce, yes I flipped out when I seen the play.... even without seeing the replay I could tell he was out. Well after sleeping on it I have to admit Joyce was a man for coming out and admitting he was wrong and even going to Galarraga and saying sorry, etc.

I really would not want Joyce to lose his job or get death threats, I do think he needs some form of suspension or atleast a stern talking to by the MLB.... I really do wish they would overturn this call but I don't see that happening, it should but Selig is hiding out in his cave and we won't see him until he presents the WS trophy. Guy is a joke and if anyone needs to be fired it's him.

Stern/Bettman/Goodell, they all address the media on various issues... yet we rarely hear a word from that idiot.

Anyways it's over with now and I think most of the Tigers are past it, so I am going to let it go myself BUT Armando I will always remember you pitched a perfect game+ .

Shep :ugeek:

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
vizquelcollector said:

jbone17 said:
In this case, everyone would want this call overturned including me. It is the right thing to do and no it would not have historic ramifications.

You missed my point. I said the call was awful and had historic ramifications. It was a perfect game that would not count because of the umpire's mistake. Hence that call affected history pretty dramatically. Regardless if there is some action to overturn the result, this game will be remembered and talked about for decades.

And although the result makes me sick, I would not want to see it overturned.

Members online

Latest posts