Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Interesting 2012 stats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hollywood

Jan 30, 2010
Stuck at home medicated, found some interesting 2012 stats looking through things today.

The WS Champion Giants finished the regular season with by far the fewest team home runs at 103. Has this ever happened in MLB history? Pablo went on to hit 3 hr in game 1 of the World Series Himself.

The Dodgers had the second fewest at 116 home runs. Take away Kemp and the Dodgers had the lowest team OPS in MLB. Had 5th worst OPS with Kemp included. They Dodgers scored more than 4 runs just 9 times in 36 games after the Boston trade. Meaning they had Victorino, Ethier, Kemp, Hanley, and AGon in the lineup. That same offense is going to begin the season with lofty expectations.

The Tigers finished 10th in the AL in home runs despite getting 74 from Miggy and Prince. This lack of power outside of these two really showed in the WS.

The Brewers led the NL in home runs and steals.

The Padres were 45-36 after the all star break.

Every team in the Al West finished above .500 in the 2nd half with Seattle the worst at 41-40.

The Rockies still had a top 5 offense without Tulowitzki most of the season, and Cargo not doing much in the 2nd half. Their pitching was that bad.

Matt Harrison had the 3rd highest war of any pitcher in the AL, trailing only Verlander and Price.

Mike Trout had 30 home runs in 559 at bats for one homer every 18.6 at bats. Trout had 23 homers in 1117 minor league at bats, one every 48.6 at bats.

Tampa Bay Rays were only AL team to finish top 5 in MLB in team era. Finishing 1st overall at 3.19, with 3.33 second best. The Rays hit more home runs than than the Reds, Cardinals, Tigers, Red Sox etc. without Longoria for more than half the season.

Just some food for thought.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
The WS Champion Giants finished the regular season with by far the fewest team home runs at 103. Has this ever happened in MLB?

This caught my attention so I had to go look. The '82 Cardinals hit 67 all season. Not sure if that's the lowest but likely not if you take the dead ball era into account.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I found it most odd that Trout hit so much more in the MLB than the MiLB... especially when established MLB players were having such a tough time hitting them out...

pootshwan

Jan 26, 2010
Connecticut
I found it most odd that Trout hit so much more in the MLB than the MiLB... especially when established MLB players were having such a tough time hitting them out...

Agreed. This stat is absolutely baffling...

Mike Trout had 30 home runs in 559 at bats for one homer every 18.6 at bats. Trout had 23 homers in 1117 minor league at bats, one every 48.6 at bats.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
This caught my attention so I had to go look. The '82 Cardinals hit 67 all season. Not sure if that's the lowest but likely not if you take the dead ball era into account.

I don't know if it's the record low, but the 1910 World Series champ Philadelphia A's hit 19 home runs, and their third baseman was NAMED Home Run.

Before somebody corrects me, I am aware he didn't get that name until the 1911 series.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL

That's nothing special. Check the minor league numbers for players like Don Mattingly or Ryne Sandberg. No one expected them to be power hitters either. Or look at the loads of AAA guys who mashed 20+ HR year in and year out, but end up playing in Japan because the couldn't crack a major league lineup.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
That's nothing special. Check the minor league numbers for players like Don Mattingly or Ryne Sandberg. No one expected them to be power hitters either. Or look at the loads of AAA guys who mashed 20+ HR year in and year out, but end up playing in Japan because the couldn't crack a major league lineup.

Good points. It will be fun to see if last year was an aberration :)

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Agreed. This stat is absolutely baffling...

Maybe he hits better with wooden bats then metal bats...

Steroids.

Hollywood

Jan 30, 2010
Here are some more. I like to use 2nd half stats as a gauge of what to expect in the coming season. It has worked pretty well the last couple years.

Marco Scutaro had 102 hits, 46 runs, 50 rbi, and a 19:19 K:B (wow). Pretty underrated trade. Posey had 39 XBH, 61 RBI, in 273 at bats with a 41:49 K:BB. Pence had 56 RBI. So are we sure Melky didn't share something here did he lol. Just goes to show how well they were playing going into the Playoffs, and it certainly carried over.

Giancarlo Stanton had 18 homers, 29 XBH and 36 RBI in 166 at bats. Holy smokes. He also struck out 64 times out of those 166 ab's.

Chase Headley had 23 homers and 77 RBI! 77 was most, him and Cabrera only 2 above 65 rbi.

Chris Davis and Ike Davis BOTH had exactly 68 hits, 37 runs, and 45 rbi. Yep, Identical and creepy. Homers were 19 to 21 darn it.

Derek Jeter had the most hits in the last 81 games at 113, Billy Butler was second at 107, Torii Hunter third at 105.

Pujols had 29 doubles and 17 homers. Rather Pujolsian.

Players with 20 homers
Mi Cabrera 28
Headley 23
BJ Upton 22 (with free agency looming, i'm skeptical)
Beltre 22
I Davis 21
Encarnacion 20
Trout 20
Granderson 20 (only one of these players to hit 20 in second half of 2011. Majority from 2011 got hurt (Napoli, Ellsbury etc.)

More than 20 steals: Altuve, Aoki, Bourn, E Cabrera (31 leader), Crisp, R Davis, A Escobar, C Gomez, Revere, Reyes, Trout, Victorino.

A lot more I could come up with, haven't even looked at pitchers yet. All the time for now though.

Members online

Latest posts