Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Its a sad day. Mcdonalds Hockey cards in Canada are no more.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
:cry: :cry: :cry:

So looked forward to Mcdonalds/Upper Decks promotion every year here in Canada. At the start of the NHL season, every year, Mcdonalds Canada would run a promotion and would sell 3 card packs of Hockey cards for $0.99 per pack. Other than the base cards, you could pull hard to get inserts, (and in years past) game used and autographs. The promotion was very popular here in Canada, so im really shocked McDonalds has cancelled this. Hopefully it will return some day :( !!

Was posted on Beckett....

One of the longest-running and most popular food premium card series in hockey card history has come to a close, as McDonald’s and Upper Deck will not be teaming to produce a series for the 2010-11 season.

In an email, Upper Deck’s Chris Carlin attributed the cancellation of the series to cutbacks on McDonald’s side, while remaining hopeful that the partnership would resume in the future.

“I think like most companies they are making cuts to programs in an effort to operate a bit more efficiently,” he said. “We are hopeful it is a program they will bring back again in the future as there seems to be a lot of support for the program.”

Louis Payette, National Media Relations Manager for McDonald’s Restaurants of Canada Limited, confirmed that the promotion would not continue this year, with Upper Deck or any other trading card manufacturer.

“Based on its past success which spanned nearly two decades, this was indeed a difficult decision,” he said.

Payette further noted that non-card promotions, such as the mini jersey and mini stick offerings, would also cease while the fast food chain changes its promotional targets.

“At this point in time, premium programs [including non-card memorabilia] are not part of our strategic focus,” he said.

Payette noted that the current shift away from card or other hockey products was not necessarily a permanent change. “We’re always open to the possibility of returning to the card market and are not closing any doors as we continue to develop new and innovative ways to connect with our customers,” Payette said.

If you have any Mcdonald's Hockey cards in your collections, now would be the time to post them up...

8vx3wl.jpg
sz8met.jpg
mbmxr8.jpg

Groat

Feb 7, 2009
I can't help but wonder WHY they would do this. If it's as popular a promotion as you Canadians say then it seems like it brought a bunch of people into the restaurant that otherwise wouldn't be in there. If they were using the packs as loss leaders that cost McD's more than a dollar each, just raise the price a bit. This decision seems like it'll really hurt them more in the long run even if it does save them a little bit of cash now.

mwheeler27

Mar 6, 2009
They said they were looking into other promotions, so I wonder if they think they've got something better to invest in.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
I read that article this afternoon and it made me very sad :( the McDonald's cards were one of my favorite UD cards every season.

Groat

Feb 7, 2009
mwheeler27 said:
They said they were looking into other promotions, so I wonder if they think they've got something better to invest in.

I read that statement as "We're not doing a damn thing for promotions this year." We'll all have to wait and see, I guess. I wonder if they'll cut the Monopoly game this year as well.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
I really dig those...and just went and picked up a bunch of Bruins ones off Sportlots :)

thehamiltonian

Mar 7, 2009
Canada
I think McDonalds is cutting out a lot of their promos. Hockey cards probably got caught in the shuffle.

The last one I saw was Shrek glasses, and I think those got recalled.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
heard rumors that Tim Hortons might take over with the Hockey card promotions in Canada. That would be totally awesome since Crosby is with Tim Hortons so they would produce Crosby cards. Crosby only ever had one McDonalds card (the one that pghbuccos posted above) because he signed with Tim Hortons shortly after that card came out and Mcdonalds wasn't allowed to use his likeness.

Hopefully this is true.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
G $MONEY$ said:
heard rumors that Tim Hortons might take over with the Hockey card promotions in Canada. That would be totally awesome since Crosby is with Tim Hortons so they would produce Crosby cards. Crosby only ever had one McDonalds card (the one that pghbuccos posted above) because he signed with Tim Hortons shortly after that card came out and Mcdonalds wasn't allowed to use his likeness.

Hopefully this is true.

that would be awesome if it's true.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Found another picture of one of my Mcdonalds clear cut winners, Ryan Smyth. These ones were really popular a couple years back as Mcdonalds/UD short printed these. I believe they were like 1 in 60 or even 1 in 70 packs.

34fo8pf.jpg

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke
G $MONEY$ said:

Hopefully this is true.
Tim Hortons>McD's, and pghbuccos, Thanks

now i have to pick up some more McD cards

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
jeff550 said:
now i have to pick up some more McD cards

if u are interested in a 2009/10 Mcdonalds base set, i have a couple extra i believe. Just let me know.

If anyone is interested in checking out a site that displays almost all the Mcdonalds cards over the years, check out this site. Its a personal collection from a collector in Quebec and it is really quite amazing to see.

http://www.kingofmcdonaldscards.com/

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
I think I spent about 45 minutes going through that collection. I never realized how many McD's auto's Fleury had.

thanks for posting the link Bilko :p

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
pghbuccos said:
I think I spent about 45 minutes going through that collection. I never realized how many McD's auto's Fleury had.

Yeah its a great site to look at. I believe MAF has 3 different McDonalds Autos and has the one goalie gear card thar has a piece of his yellow pads. I own two of the MAF autos, his Mcdonalds RC auto and the 06/07 version.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
G $MONEY$ said:
pghbuccos said:

Yeah its a great site to look at. I believe MAF has 3 different McDonalds Autos and has the one goalie gear card thar has a piece of his yellow pads. I own two of the MAF autos, his Mcdonalds RC auto and the 06/07 version.

well I am jealous :mrgreen:

Members online

Latest posts