Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Kershaw or Wainwright?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Who deserves the nod, and who gets it?

Having very similar years so far.

Will Matheny go with his guy, and have an all Cardinals starting battery, or will he award it to Clayton for his streak? And will the missed six weeks help or hurt Clayton's chances?

What do you guys think?

21ccl

Aug 26, 2012
Clayton missing the 6 weeks should not effect him in my mind but I love WainWright to, I go with Clayton because he has thrown great and had a no hitter. The only reason that Adam Wainright has a chance is that Matheny is his manager

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Clayton missing the 6 weeks should not effect him in my mind but I love WainWright to, I go with Clayton because he has thrown great and had a no hitter. The only reason that Adam Wainright has a chance is that Matheny is his manager

Statistics?

DaleMurphyCollector

Aug 7, 2008
Imagination Land
This feels like a no-brainer (sorry, Sam). Kershaw's stats are just a tad better in 44 fewer innings pitched. Their WHIP & ERA are nearly identical, but Kershaw is K'ing almost 12 per 9 innings pitched. Wainwright "only' has 7.6/9IP. He's also allowed 45 fewer base runners, albeit in 44 fewer innings.

Oh, and that pesky no-hitter. And scoreless inning steak, but whatever. ;)

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
They're both equally deserving in my opinion DMC.

I'm not being a homer and saying Wainwright should start over Kershaw. It's neck and neck to me, and I believe I was pretty impartial in my original post.

But to say the ONLY reason Wainwright would get the nod is because Matheny is his manager is dead wrong. That will probably be the reason that he doesn't get the nod, even if Mike did want to give it to him.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
The previous post sums it up, but otherwise I would say Wainwright because of the Kershaw injury. Being able to take the mound has to be taken into consideration.

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
I think it should absolutely be Wainwright. It guarantees him to work with his own catcher, which is a big advantage, and he pitched the whole first half. The injury puts Kershaw at two so far this season. Can't go wrong with either of them though.

bigalbert

Aug 7, 2008
Kershaw deserves it more so hopefully he goes. True very similar stats for both but the no-no is a decider in my mind. There's a reason the mlb network shows evry batter when these guys get close. Its a big deal in the baseball world. Individually its the holy grail for a pitcher.

cards01fan

Sep 4, 2008
If Kershaw could've beat STL in the playoffs last year it could've been his manager making the decision!😱

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008

yes I know. Wainwright is good on my fantasy team, but I didn't see him toss 41 consecutive scoreless innings this year. ;)

I definitely think kershaw was snubbed, but that's okay because 1) who remembers who were the ASG starters anyway in a year, and 2) it's fuel to the fire for the Dodgers to win a WS so Kershaw can start the ASG next year and no cardinals can make the all-star pitching staff!

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
Wainwright has a lower ERA and more innings pitched. I know there are other stats but Doesn't it all just boil down to runs? Also, Kershaw had 41 consecutive scoreless and Wainwright still has a lower ERA. Think about how consistently good he must be this year to accomplish that

DaleMurphyCollector

Aug 7, 2008
Imagination Land
Wainwright has a lower ERA and more innings pitched. I know there are other stats but Doesn't it all just boil down to runs? Also, Kershaw had 41 consecutive scoreless and Wainwright still has a lower ERA. Think about how consistently good he must be this year to accomplish that

You should check the stats again. Wainwright has a 1.83 ERA. Kershaw has a 1.78. Last time I checked, 1.78 is less than 1.83. Kershaw also has a better WHIP, more K's, less walks, less hits allowed, only has 1 fewer win, has 2 fewer losses and all with 40+ fewer innings. He also threw a no-hitter and pitched 41 consecutive scoreless innings. Anyone that says Wainwright should be the starter over Kershaw is delusional. Obviously you can't go wrong with either, but if the arguement is statistics based, Kershaw is the clear winner.

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
Didn't check the stats, I posted based on what they said last night on the Derby telecast. They said Wainwright has the lowest ERA in baseball. Maybe it's because Kershaw doesn't qualify, which would definitely be another reason to give the start to Wainwright. Idk ask Aaron Boone hah

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Didn't check the stats, I posted based on what they said last night on the Derby telecast. They said Wainwright has the lowest ERA in baseball. Maybe it's because Kershaw doesn't qualify, which would definitely be another reason to give the start to Wainwright. Idk ask Aaron Boone hah

Aaron Boone (my favorite player of all time, non-Cardinal) said right after the announcement that he was on board with the selection.

And yes, Kershaw doesn't qualify. I think I heard he is just one inning away from it though.

Latest posts