Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Latos traded to Reds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
Anybody have a run down on what we got from the Reds?

Latos is a monster pitcher and hasn't lived up to his full potential. He was also my favorite Padre :|

Jan 15, 2009
PadresFan86 said:

Latos is a monster pitcher and hasn't lived up to his full potential. He was also my favorite Padre :|
Via JonHeyman

Competing gm: grandal "top 50" prospect, boxberger "potential closer," alonso "good bat." In summary, an overpay by reds

Seiya

Aug 7, 2008
Chula Vista, CA
After an hour to cool down I am liking the trade even more. Tons of talent for 4 yrars of latos. Alonso is most likely to be moved, his stock is higher than Rizzos right now

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
Wow, this sucks. I'm kind of in shock right now. Figured he would be on the Padres for 5+ years. I guess I'll continue to collect him. I guess we got a good haul but I would still rather have Latos. Byrnes better know what he's doing.

Damn...

chipstar09

Dec 26, 2008
Reds fan here. Grandal was blocked by Devin Mesoraco, Alonso was never gonna cut it as a left fielder for the Reds, and is blocked by Joey Votto at first base. Volquez had more than worn out his welcome here. Boxberger is a solid middle relief prospect and can be a closer in the future. I'm most disappointed about losing Boxberger and Grandal, and while I do think the price is a bit steep, this is a sign that the Reds are trying to win now. After years of signing the Corey Pattersons and Jerry Hairstons of the world, it's nice to see a big move being made. The Padres got a heck of a deal, but the Reds didn't get robbed as badly as some might think. Only time will tell.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Crazy thing is Reds save 3 million and plan on going after one more SP in a trade with the only touchable prospects being Devin & Hamilton.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Latos was among the leaders in era and strikeouts last season.
Volquez has been hurt or terrible the last three years.
I'd rather have Latos.
I understand the reds gave up a lot, and Alonso may be a star, but an excellent starting pitcher is much more desirable.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
GiantsSuperCollector said:
PadresFan86 said:

Via JonHeyman

Competing gm: grandal "top 50" prospect, boxberger "potential closer," alonso "good bat." In summary, an overpay by reds
Thanks for the response. Looks like we got a good deal. We were in dire need of offense. I just wonder what happens to Rizzo now? Hopefully boxberger pans out, it will make me feel better about dealing Street at the deadline if were no longer in contention.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
Austin said:
I'd rather have Latos.
I understand the reds gave up a lot, and Alonso may be a star, but an excellent starting pitcher is much more desirable.
Volquez is moving to a major pitcher's park so maybe that'll be the game changer for him.

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
PadresFan86 said:
Austin said:
I'd rather have Latos.
Volquez is moving to a major pitcher's park so maybe that'll be the game changer for him.

That's my thinking.

ljw29

Feb 3, 2010
Reds overpaid they should have offered less, as some of those pieces could have been used for other players instead of paying $10 for a $1 Candy Bar

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
PadresFan86 said:
Austin said:
I'd rather have Latos.
Maybe, but I'd rather have Latos, a 24-year-old with two previous excellent seasons, than Volquez, a 28-year-old with three previous mediocre seasons, Tommy John surgery and a 50-game suspension for PEDs.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
Austin said:
PadresFan86 said:
Austin said:
I'd rather have Latos.
Maybe, but I'd rather have Latos, a 24-year-old with two previous excellent seasons, than Volquez, a 28-year-old with three previous mediocre seasons, Tommy John surgery and a 50-game suspension for PEDs.
Yeah but we also got a starting 1B, a potential closer and a potential starting catcher...

I feel a lot better about dealing Street at the deadline if Boxberger pans out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts