Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Lou Gehrig 2000th consecutive game

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008

On May 31, 1938 the Yankees played the Red Sox at Yankee Stadium. The day after 81,000 showed up for a Yankees/Red Sox doubleheader, there were just 6,917 in attendance to see the Yankees beat the Red Sox 12-5. Tommy Henrich, Bill Dickey and Red Rolfe hit home runs for the Yankees. Jimmie Foxx hit a grandslam for the Red Sox. Joe DiMaggio had a 2B and 2 walks, and Lou Gehrig had one hit.

A small ceremony was held to celebrate Lou Gehrig's 2000th consecutive career game.

Vintage lineup cards are exceedingly hard to find as they were considered functional (they established the official lineup card for the game) but definitely not significant as a collectible. Almost all were thrown away. I believe there are teams for which not a single GU lineup card from the 1930's is known to exist. I have collected lineup cards for years and have searched completed auctions for every major sports auction house. In total, I have come across 5 GU lineup cards with Lou Gehrig. While there was a slightly greater chance that a lineup card from a significant game would be kept as a momento, and the Yankees did have a small ceremony to acknowledge the feat, it was a shock to discover that the lineup cards from this game still exist.

(The person I purchased this from chose to get the lineup card signature authenticated, though I'll likely crack it out when I have a moment.)

Attachments

• Gehrig, Lou 2000th consecutive game - May 31, 1938.jpg
    Gehrig, Lou 2000th consecutive game - May 31, 1938.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 21

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
" I'll likely crack it out when I have a moment "

And why in a hell would you do that??????? 👎

I find the holders clunky and bulky. It only authenticates the manager's signature, not the lineup card itself and I have no concerns that either the lineup card or signature are not real. And because lineup cards handled (and often folded and placed into the umpire's pocket) the condition does not need to be protected in the way that people do for cards etc.

The signatures on both lineup cards are also authenticated by JSA (with a full-page LOA), but I would likely crack it out even without that if I am honest.

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Where is the game date? Or do you just need to verify based on the opponent and lineup listed?

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Wow great pickup. A piece of history right there.
Thanks! I find the feeling of holding a lineup card from when Gehrig and DiMaggio played somewhat surreal. To have the lineup card from such a significant moment is a little crazy to me.

Members online