Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My First Custom "Build"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I've done numerous mock-ups of customs but never went full out and built one. When I decided to take the plunge and commit to one I figured I'd go all out and do a booklet featuring the greatest play in baseball history.

I sent Mike (200lb...my mentor in this and absolute top notch guy) my original .psd files last week and they were delivered with the windows cut today. What you see is the actual card front "semi-mounted" onto the signature just for photographic purposes. I'll do a more permanent mounting later.

This may take me a while to build and get it right but I'm already falling in love with the process.

Here are the two inside parts of the booklet with that 50's feel that I was trying to get...

First, the victim

11057705564_1bdfae9626.jpg

Secondly, the hero

11057734864_eee4a07e06.jpg

The magenta lines are my "cut lines" for when I reduce the card down to it's natural 2.5" x 3.5" size.

Thanks for looking and I'll update this along the way.

-Joel

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Wow, great idea and the "style" turned out great. This looks beautiful so far. The only thing I'd question is that it says "The Catch" on both sides of the booklet when open? Slightly redundant but overall fantastic

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
That's awesome. Cool vintage Mays signature.
And I like how it says "Best wishes" like Mays is being sarcastic: (Wertz hits it 400 feet, Mays makes an astonishing catch, then Mays says snarkily, "Hey Vic, best wishes... sucker.")

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
This is looking really good! Any way you can get a picture of Wertz hitting the ball to put on his side ( instead of Mays catching the ball on both sides). I do get saying the catch on both sides though. That is really what the card is About.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Appreciate the feedback and comments fellas.

Yes I can see how The Catch may be redundant but I chose to really feature the play over even the signatures. Bill, the same could be said for why I went with Willie catching the ball on both sides.

Also Vic has very few high resolution photos and almost none hitting.

I'll continue to work on the outside and post updates when I get there.

Thanks again and any criticism is better than none. Only makes me better.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Great look and pairing!!

Being one who loves history and "facts," I assume you will put details of the situation (date, 54 WS, Polo grounds, etc..) on the front/back covers.

Look forward to seeing how this progresses.

Members online

Latest posts