Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Name A Forgotten Once-Big Prospect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
YoungChris2005BowBestBluBGS9.jpg

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Back in the day I remember Beckett doing a story on some dude who was trying to corner the market on the 2003 BC Gold Delmon Youngs. He had a bunch.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Josh Phelps...around the same time. the clincher...remember his rc's going for $50-$60 here in S.Ont.

I just got in a Nov. 2002 Beckett, Josh Phelps' 2002 Fleer Glossy RC booked for $70 (with an up arrow!) and was #13 on the hotlist. Five spots higher than the 2001 Bowman Chrome Pujols (which booked for $300 at the time).

SteelBrad

Mar 2, 2013
I just got in a Nov. 2002 Beckett, Josh Phelps' 2002 Fleer Glossy RC booked for $70 (with an up arrow!) and was #13 on the hotlist. Five spots higher than the 2001 Bowman Chrome Pujols (which booked for $300 at the time).

I made a good amount off Phelps' Autographics. I had three of them I think and they were his first certified autographs.

RNCoyote

Nov 4, 2009
Texas
Todd Van Poppel
Tony Saunders - very bad freak injury ended his career

Then there was this:
image.JPG

While one became All-Star the two had deal with injuries and had journeyman careers.

Last edited:

heavy_hitter

Jun 26, 2009
I still need the Joe Crede 2008 Topps Updates All Star Jumbo patch numbered to 6 for my set. I have never seen a copy. Would probably be willing to set a new record for the top price paid for a Crede card.

Roughly a month after this post, a copy of the Crede jumbo patch finally showed up on ebay. I was lucky enough to hit the BIN.

08_crede_4of6_zpsab6e443d.png

I'm within 25 of completing this set.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Roughly a month after this post, a copy of the Crede jumbo patch finally showed up on ebay. I was lucky enough to hit the BIN.

08_crede_4of6_zpsab6e443d.png

I'm within 25 of completing this set.

Congrats ! Maybe you should drop random hints of cards you are looking for to get them to pop on eBay magically after

Ryan

heavy_hitter

Jun 26, 2009
Congrats ! Maybe you should drop random hints of cards you are looking for to get them to pop on eBay magically after

Ryan

Thanks. The most obscure player from that set that I need now is probably Aaron Cook. Still haven't seen a copy of that card. Maybe lightning will strike twice.

WillBBC

Feb 22, 2012
You are throwing that "only pitched into the 8th inning twice" stat around quite a bit but you're not mentioning that many times were due to Washington's conservative handling/pitch limits. Not like he's been knocked out of the game in the 7th every time out. Whether you think he has or hasn't lived up to expectations is inconsequential. Point is the very fact you mentioned, that he has only pitched 3 seasons thus far, and is the ace of a rotation, proves he does not belong in this thread. Either that or "forgotten" and "once-big" have different meanings for you

I'm not going to say he's the next Randy Johnson or even 50% of Randy Johnson but Unit didn't really catch his insane groove until his late 20s. Strasburg's still got plenty of time. If people stopped caring about wins so much they'd see how dominant he's been the last two seasons.

Members online

Latest posts