Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

OCTOBER 2022 - New Arrivals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The Killebrew /5 gold will get the ball rolling for me today. Love to add these Timeless Teams gold cards, signed or not. Killebrew 5.jpg

A rare insert card. These were cards that you could get stamped at a booth at the 2001 Seattle ASG Fan Fest. I am pretty sure you had to open the pack in their presence and then they would stamp 1 card of your choosing per pack. I didn't buy any packs, so never got any stamped. I never even chased one before, but it was an add on with some other cards I also won. Maddux. s-l1600.jpg

The Mad Stork. Hendricks.jpg

Was surprised, but happy to see Mark van Eeghan certified card. His 77 card was fascinating to me as a kid and perhaps was one of the reasons I became a Raider fan (along with Stabler). Van Eeeghan.jpg

Paul Warfield. s-l1600-5.jpg

Zorn. s-l1600-4.jpg

KC Jones on a schedule. s-l1600-3.jpg

and the finale. I saw this with an opening bid of $10, but a BIN of $50. I really like deals, so paying $50 when I might have been able to pay $10 wasn't ideal, but I had not come across another Gene Upshaw certified auto before, although can't say I was looking. I almost made a bid, then quickly realized how pissed I would be in this went over $50 and/or I lost it, so I reconsidered and said "it's only money" and hit BIN! Looking at what is available now, I could have gotten a signature a little cheaper, but this seems like a deal compared to most, and because I am a Raider fan since I was a kid, this was worth the deal. Upshaw.jpg

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
The stuff from my shopping spree has been rolling in.

101622-1.jpg
The first addition to my signed 1988 Topps set in 6+ months, Quisenberry. I haven't been looking for them as much as I should, this gets my needs down to 23 cards. I have been looking for the 2002 Bowman Chrome Draft Gold Refractor Jeremy Brown for years and years and was actually outbid on the first one I had seen in forever a few weeks ago. And isn't that just how it works...another one popped up shortly after with a BIN that was less than my max bid. Just need one more from Draft to finish the team set, plus a couple from the regular Bowman Chrome set. Lastly a 1997 UD3 Marquee Attraction McGwire, cleaning up my '90s McGwire insert needs.

101622-2.jpg
2005 Elite Aspirations 10/82 Jason Kendall...need 1 more for that small team set. 2005 Donruss Career Stat Line Mark Mulder DK 53/81 finally completes that team set. It's the first card I've knocked off my 2001-05 Donruss Stat Line needs all year. 2004 Bowman Chrome X-Fractor Don Sutton (not THAT Don Sutton) 135/172 finishes my base set needs but I still need one card from the Draft set. And 2005 Artifacts Rainbow Red Nick Swisher 32/50 gets me one away from that team set.

101622-3.jpg
2005 Topps Chrome Red X-Fractor Scott Hatteberg 17/25, still need many from this set. Also need many from 2003 Tribute World Series Gold/100, but this Catfish is nice. Gelof is another Leaf Pro Set auto. And 2008 Topps Sterling Reggie Jackson #144 134/250 completes that team set.

101622-4.jpg
2003 Donruss Classics Timeless Tributes Jermaine Dye 016/200 gets me one away from that team set, just missing Canseco. Still need several for 2003 Leaf Blue Press Proofs but added this Billy Koch 23/50. 2004 Greats of the Game Blue 294/500 Canseco gets me 2 away from that team set. And a 1994 Sucker Saver Rickey Henderson - not impossible but a bit tough to find.

101622-5.jpg
I'm going to make it a focus next year to clean up my needs from the major Goudey and Play Ball sets, so this Rube Walberg is a head start. For Goudey I'd like to at least finish up the 1933-35 team sets minus the '33 and '34 Foxx cards, which are very pricey. I do already have '33 Grove and Cochrane and a '35 4-in-1 Foxx.

101622-6.jpg 101622-7.jpg
Lastly, a 1998 Mystery Finest Refractor Grieve/McGriff. This finishes up my Grieve base and Refractor needs from this set.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
More of the shopping spree...

101822-1.jpg
2021 Finest Flashbacks Refractor Luzardo - still need a few for that set. The first two from 2022 Pristine Gold Refractors/50. I like the way these look, definitely will have to go after the team set. A couple more Leaf Pro Set Metal autos, the Puason is 9/35. And a nice Immaculate patch/shadowbox sig Kevin Smith 28/48.

101822-2.jpg
Some Topps parallels...2017 Topps Black Mark Canha 03/66, still need a lot for that team set but I'm inching closer. And several 2014 Topps base and Update Camo/99 cards...only need 2 more to finish off that team set.

101822-3.jpg
Some '00s parallels...2007 UD Gold Joe Blanton/75 and 2008 UD Gold Kurt Suzuki/99. Still need 5 and 6 respectively to finish off those sets. 2005 Leaf Limited Gold Spotlight Keiichi Yabu 22/25 puts me one away from that set. And I don't have many 2004 Leaf Certified Cuts Marble Golds, but this Octavio Dotel 05/25 adds to the pile.

101822-4.jpg
1999 Pacific Platinum Blue Ben Grieve headshot variation, 2000 Paramount Holographic "Green" Miguel Tejada 03/99 (one away from that set), 2000 UD Exclusives Silver Randy Velarde 047/100 (3 away from that set), 2004 Topps Retired Black/99 Stewart and Fingers (1 away but it's Canseco), and 2002 Fleer Triple Crown RBI parallel Jermaine Dye 084/106 (1 away).

101822-5.jpg
Cleaned Burbank out of their remaining 2003 UD 40-Man Rainbows I didn't have. Still need a dozen to finish this big team set.

101822-6.jpg
All team set completers: 2003 Fleer Mystique Gold/75, 2002 Topps Pristine Refractors/149, 2005 Bowman Sterling Refractors/199, and 2008 Bowman Sterling Refractors/199 and/149.

101822-7.jpg
More team set completers. 2008 Upper Deck Premier Huston Street and Joe Blanton - I've been looking for these forever and finally found both from the same seller to finish off this 9-card team set all numbered/99. And I quickly finished the small 3-card 2022 Finest Flashbacks Refractor team set...these seem easier than the first two years of this set.

The big ticket items:
101822-8.jpg 101822-9.jpg
1992 Donruss Elite Legends Rickey Henderson 6966/7500 and T206 Mike Powers SGC 2.5. I got a good deal on the Henderson because the low-feedback seller listed it without "Elite" or even "Donruss" in the auction title. That completes the run of '90s Donruss Elite A's inserts. The T206 card was a birthday gift from my wonderful wife. I am now just 3 away from the Philadelphia A's team set, not counting the SPed Plank card.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Damn @dilferrules, your organization is impressive, knowing how many and who
You need from every set, I don’t have that kind of diligence

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
At the start of every year I'll print out a list of all the sets I want to concentrate on completing, with all of cards I need. I have all of my cards and wantlists organized by player so this step can take a while. As I pick up cards I check them off the list, so when I do that it's easy to see what's remaining.

I also recently put my entire A's collection in TCDB (boy that took a while) so now it's really easy to see what I still need from any set. Though it may be a little off because I define the team for a card based on the uniform the player is wearing, while TCDB defines it based on the team designation on the card. For example:

04spgupmvp.jpg
To me that's an A's card since he's pictured on the A's (and there's obviously an A's patch) but for TCDB it would be an Orioles card because it says "Baltimore Orioles" at the top.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
During WWII there was a big question about whether to continue Major League Baseball or to put it on hold. On one hand, resources were incredibly scarce. On the other hand, it provided a sense of comfort and a chance to get aware from the unbearably serious nature of what was going on. President Roosevelt famously sent the "Green Light Letter" to baseball commissioner Landis, telling them to continue playing.

Most of my WWII baseball collection is related to games by players who were drafted and playing for Military Bases, in Europe or in the Pacific Theatre (mostly Hawaii). This original newspaper drawing by cartoonist Bill Crawford (wiki link below) expresses public support for continued play.

Attachments

• 59% of Public Wants Baseball Continued Drawing.jpg
    59% of Public Wants Baseball Continued Drawing.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 8

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Much smaller mailday:

101922.jpg
2012 Bowman Sterling Black Refractor Tommy Milone RC 01/25. 2021 Topps Now Turn Back the Clock Dennis Eckersley...looks like I have 7 of the 11 A's cards from this set so it'd be nice to complete. I used to buy the A's Topps Now cards direct from Topps when they came out, but I haven't been checking a lot in the last couple of years so I end up missing them and buying them on the secondary market later. It's usually cheaper that way but I do miss the chance at parallels. Last is a 2013 Topps Camo Sean Doolittle RC 81/99. Still need 6 to finish up that team set.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
1997 Donruss Signature Series Century Marks Darin Erstad auto /100
1998 Score Rookie Traded Artist Proof 1 of 1 Darin Erstad /1
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations Level 1 Jersey Vladimir Guerrero LA w/ Darin Erstad

The Century Marks is a duplicate. I think I have about 5 copies now. The 1/1 is actually my 3rd copy of that 1/1. Was excited to see this Flair Dynasty card pop on COMC a few minutes ago. I definitely overpaid but it's been a bear in eBay searches and has been on my wants since release. Only need a triple patch (Vlad/Anderson/Erstad) to finish the rainbow.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Hopefully an early Patrick Ewing autograph on 2x3 inch cut out photograph. Worth a shot for a $4 BIN. If real, then a nice example of his early signature.

If not, can count this as a college year oddball issue.

Screenshot_20221020-214233~2.png

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
102022-1.jpg
Tim Raines completes the 1999 Paramount Holo-Gold/199 team set. 2000 Topps Stars Blue Jose Ortiz 082/299 gets me one away from that team set, though the one I'm missing is a /99 SP. 2003 Leaf Limited Threads Jersey Number Jason Giambi 14/16 looks pretty nice. And 2004 Elite Extra Edition Status Jermaine Dye 17/24 was the last of 8 A's serial numbered higher than 10 in that set. There are also 4 cards numbered under 10, I don't have any of those yet.

102022-2.jpg
2010 Upper Deck Gold Brad Kilby 55/99, only need 3 more for that team set now. 2013 Topps Pink AJ Griffin 14/50, still need a ton for that set. And 2019 Topps Update Black Skye Bolt RC 28/67 finishes off my 2019 Update Black needs, but I still need 1 card from Series 1&2.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Hopefully an early Patrick Ewing autograph on 2x3 inch cut out photograph. Worth a shot for a $4 BIN. If real, then a nice example of his early signature.

If not, can count this as a college year oddball issue.

View attachment 342850
My fear would be the ink is not live, but preprinted. lots of team photos similar with preprinted signatures that often get mistaken for real. I can't really tell, but this does look less preprinted and more by hand. Good luck!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
This is going to be a 3 parter, as this is 5 days worth of mail that came in while I was on vacation to the Big Easy! Will start with baseball, since it is a baseball forum after all.

More RGI sets. RGI Sets.jpg

A Timeless Teams parallel (non-auto unfortunately) of Steve Carlton /5. cARLTON 5.jpg

Some cheapie autos for fun. Splitorff, Royster (could have counted him as a Dodger too), Simmons and Berkman. Splittorff.jpgRoyster.jpgSimmons.jpgBerkman.jpg

Griffey Sr Recollections /14. Have always really liked that 83 Donruss, a very clean design.Griffey 14.jpg

The only card I was all that excited about from Archives this year. There are a few Dodgers and some guys I will try to get 1 card of, but at least this year, my crazy quest to get all parallels and as many blue /25 is on hold. Very weak archives set in my mind.

Joe West, the all-time games leaders among all umpires. Love or hate them (Umps), Topps picking Joe was a good call in my opinion. I'll try to do the parallel run, but I won't be going crazy on the $pend, so if he isn't reasonable, I'll stick with the base.JOE West.png

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
George Mikan signature, supposedly certified by Score Board, not that the generic certificate couldn't be placed with any card. No embossing or stamp, so hoping it's real. His certified are too $$$ now, I missed that boat. Mikan.jpg

Pat Riley RC. Riley RC.jpg

Willis Read Topps ruler. Love these, wish I would have bought more back when they were cheap! W Reed.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Football time!

Deacon Jones, Jim Plunkett, Charlie Sanders. Deacon Jones.jpgPlunkett.jpgC Sanders.jpg

Lofton, Winslow and a few more lessers...Lofton.jpgWinslow.jpgM Morris.jpgH Williams.jpgGarrett.jpg

Bethea. Bethea.jpg

And finally a great action shot of Norm Snead, the only non-certified card of the batch. Snead.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Back to a single post for the new stuff. A decent day still.

Fielder. Fiedler.jpg

Also found my 2nd redemption card from the SR set. Just cool enough to warrant grabbing, although the suit image isn't appealing. Stargell F.pngStargell B.png

Finally, a correct John Wooden pack certified auto, after I bought a silver signature mistakenly thinking it was the certified copy. Wooden.jpg

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I've been toying with the idea of trying to build this set for some time. Recently a full set (or close to it) was broken up and listed on eBay in auction while another seller had many of the key cards. I bid on a number of them and was able to score these two SP's for what I thought was very reasonable prices. My plan is to take it slow with this set, and try to pick the cards up at reasonable prices. (For the more common, lesser name auto's I hope to find a nice lot to get started, or see what I can find at the next card show. There is no card in the set that is so rare that it never shows up online, so I'm going to be trying to exercise patience and not overpay. Should be a fun set to go after. Hard to believe how many of the players are no longer with us.

Mattingle Rizzuto Greats of the Game.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Good luck. Because I have been collecting autographs long enough to have been able to add everyone from the set in one form or another, I'd have a hard time paying for a specific card myself to build a set like this I am guessing Puckett and/or Jeter will be the biggest $ at this time, although you never know. At just under 100 cards, it's not too terribly daunting.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts