Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Official Error and Variation Discussion/Reference Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Complete set vs pack issued? I know the 1996 set was issued both ways, in packs, and in complete sets of 6-sticker un-cut sheets. Just an idea. I have no idea if 1995 was issued in complete sets.

Last edited:

MatthewN

Sep 30, 2015
Coralville, IA
I have one sheet of the 6 stickers from 1996, and those all have the "Collect All" on the back, so I am assuming based on what little research I've done, that there the variation exists only for 1995.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Floating ghost bat

Seriously, someone at the printing plant drew a picture of a bat floating and topps tried ton cover it1445818986920.jpg

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Not really an error and not sure if it was ever confirmed that it actually came from a pack that way, but I remember years ago a shot of a bowman sign of the times Jared Wells card with a crudely drawn ***** on the signature spot. It was on the Topps board at the time and I think someone claimed it was pack pulled that way. I was not saving scans at the time and wonder if anyone did?

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Regarding 1996 Fleer - The variant being the Tiffany Cards with Gold Foil. Does anyone know if it also applies to the Update set?

1996%20Fleer%20Tiffany%20400.jpg
1996%20Fleer%20Tiffany%20Gold%20Foil%20400.jpg

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I've become a huge fan of 1988-90 Topps Sticker Back variations over the last few years, and I've done a bit of work that is bad news for player collectors. After picking up a box of each 1988 and 1989, comparing my pulls to what I already have and what is available on COMC, I have found that for the 1989 Sticker Backs, each one is available in as many as 10 different variations! Each back has potentially as many as 10 different card/sticker combos, and none I've found have fewer than 5 different. Presumably, the OPC versions are the same, but I can't tell with the limited availability of the OPCs. On the flip side, I have yet to find a sticker that can be found on more than 2 different backs. So let's say you collect Gary Carter, as I do. His Sticker Back may have 10 different back/sticker variations; his 3 stickers can have 2 different cards each. That's a total of 16 different variations, and possibly 32 if the OPC holds true to the Topps pattern. I know there's at least 15-20 players in this set that are actively collected here, so I say to you all, keep note of what you have, because you don't have them all!

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
I've become a huge fan of 1988-90 Topps Sticker Back variations over the last few years, and I've done a bit of work that is bad news for player collectors. After picking up a box of each 1988 and 1989, comparing my pulls to what I already have and what is available on COMC, I have found that for the 1989 Sticker Backs, each one is available in as many as 10 different variations! Each back has potentially as many as 10 different card/sticker combos, and none I've found have fewer than 5 different. Presumably, the OPC versions are the same, but I can't tell with the limited availability of the OPCs. On the flip side, I have yet to find a sticker that can be found on more than 2 different backs. So let's say you collect Gary Carter, as I do. His Sticker Back may have 10 different back/sticker variations; his 3 stickers can have 2 different cards each. That's a total of 16 different variations, and possibly 32 if the OPC holds true to the Topps pattern. I know there's at least 15-20 players in this set that are actively collected here, so I say to you all, keep note of what you have, because you don't have them all!

It seems like the Topps have more variations that the OPC. I have pretty comprehensive lists of all the variations if anyone has players/teams they want to see.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Regarding 1996 Fleer - The variant being the Tiffany Cards with Gold Foil. Does anyone know if it also applies to the Update set?

1996%20Fleer%20Tiffany%20400.jpg
1996%20Fleer%20Tiffany%20Gold%20Foil%20400.jpg

I thought the Update boxes were the only ones you could get the variants in?? sorry if I misunderstood the question.

Nice Bags BTW. I have a Chipper, McGwire, A-Rod and Ivan Rodriguez of the Tiffany Gold Foil.

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
It seems like the Topps have more variations that the OPC. I have pretty comprehensive lists of all the variations if anyone has players/teams they want to see.

Although I think I have an accurate list , I'd like to see the Clark list if you have one. Thanks
Ryan

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI

Have you ever found any with the "wrong" sticker combos? I know that, for example, 1989's Mark Grace sticker [URL=http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=3]#3 24[/URL] is supposed to always be paired with Doug Jones #3 . Do any of these exist with other matches? I hope not!

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I don't know if anyone collects anyone in the 1989 ProCards minor league set, but these seem to have some back variations. Not sure if all of them exist both ways, but at least some can be found with stats up to 1988, or through 1989:

Greg-Vaughn.jpg
Greg-Vaughn.jpg

John-Wetteland.jpg
John-Wetteland.jpg

Some of the 1988 stat backs have card shop ads on the back, so I'm guessing those were issued as team sets:

Carlo-Colombino.jpg
Tony-Ghelfi-(Stats-through-1988).jpg
Bernie-Williams.jpg

Nothing really earth-shattering, from a set full of at least 1500 guys who never made it to AA, but the poorly cataloged nature of many minor league issues mean stuff like this may not be widely known.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana

Would like to see if you have anything listed for Dawson that I don't

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I don't know if anyone collects anyone in the 1989 ProCards minor league set, but these seem to have some back variations. Not sure if all of them exist both ways, but at least some can be found with stats up to 1988, or through 1989:

Some of the 1988 stat backs have card shop ads on the back, so I'm guessing those were issued as team sets:

Nothing really earth-shattering, from a set full of at least 1500 guys who never made it to AA, but the poorly cataloged nature of many minor league issues mean stuff like this may not be widely known.

This variation only exists for the AAA (blue bordered) cards. The cards with the 1988 stat line were issued as team sets. The cards with the complete 1989 stat line were issued in packs after the end of the season. I did a brief blog post about these awhile back:

http://clydes-stalecards.blogspot.com/2014/08/inconsequential-variations-part-second.html

Last edited:

Latest posts