Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
These 90s threads would still be on #1 and a whole lot less fun if it was just post a Griffey or Thomas from each of these cool issues etc etc.! I get what you're trying to say though. If I posted a 96 Mirror Gold Ben McDonald (a Brewer in the set) it wouldn't "feel" all that special despite being a tough and pretty card. Now if I posted a Greg Vaughn (who I actually collect and continue to hunt for a copy of that card) you might appreciate it more knowing that despite relative value to other "star" players you would know the time and effort I would have put into locating one would have been considerable (and is still on going!) and would likely make my collecting year as those cards have done for others each time one is finally "landed". However...rare is rare and I believe you yourself lauded the posting of only semi-rare cards in earlier incarnations of the 90s threads (apologies if it was someone else). Now I'm wandering and have lost focus but immapost a Vaughn if ever I find one, probably thrice! Lets embrace those who derive joy from collecting

I'm a Frank Sanders football collector. I can totally sympathize with the difficulty of hunting down inserts and parallels of a player that nobody thinks they can sell.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Haha, just had a chance to read the thread since I posted the Vinny. While I realize he's not the most celebrated of players, I have a soft spot in my heart for the CC You Crash the Game cards. I have a nearly complete set of the '96 Gold Redeemed wooden cards, and I pick up extras to trade when I can. I was pleased with the Vinny because it's the first 1997 Instant Winner I've found in a long time, and, while I probably overpaid ($8 on ebay), I'll gladly put it in my YCTG binder. I may or may not keep it, I'd certainly trade it for a Thomas card I want or more cards to finish my other Crash sets, if I ever get the chance to build the IW set, I've got one in the books for that day.

Well you know who wants it if you decide to move it.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
I'm a Frank Sanders football collector. I can totally sympathize with the difficulty of hunting down inserts and parallels of a player that nobody thinks they can sell.

Same here. I often wonder how many Caminiti cards I want are laying around in a $1.00 bucket collecting dust in a card shop.

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
C6A09E67-29FE-4E79-873E-1568844B4AC0-62850-00004B28EE292E22.jpg
IMG.jpg
1996_Select_cert_mirror_gold.jpg
IMG_0001-001_zpsd7d7fe56.jpg

Full House!

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
As a 90s enthusiast who lurks on this thread to watch for fun rarities and stories of the craziness of chasing them,

I say show MORE unpopular players. I think it's kinda boring that so many collect the most popular players.

I like players that were great but disliked (Kevin Brown), great but underrated (Kenny Lofton), good but mostly forgotten (Pat Hentgen), bad but with an interesting story (Ntema Ndundigi).

Anyhow, I shall yield the stage to the 90s collectors and their scans and stories... and continue to lurk!

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Baseball cards represent the game of baseball... which of course includes both star and non-star players. Can't appreciate the stars without having some appreciation for the non-stars - just like one can't appreciate the star cards without appreciating the non-star cards.

To this end it makes little sense that a star card could conceivably sell for, say, 100 times more than a non-star from the same set - eventually the market will correct this kind of discrepancy one way or another.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Honestly, with an unpopular player, I'd assume that rare cards pop up way less often than the mega stars. Which makes them a lot rarer to find.

slaneyjason

Feb 19, 2012
Does $7 dlvd seem low for a 1998 pinnacle Emerald Moments Andrew Jones? How bout $20 for a Barry Bonds?.....Assuming they're not "all star" versions I mean

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
As a 90s enthusiast who lurks on this thread to watch for fun rarities and stories of the craziness of chasing them,

I say show MORE unpopular players. I think it's kinda boring that so many collect the most popular players.

I like players that were great but disliked (Kevin Brown), great but underrated (Kenny Lofton), good but mostly forgotten (Pat Hentgen), bad but with an interesting story (Ntema Ndundigi).

Anyhow, I shall yield the stage to the 90s collectors and their scans and stories... and continue to lurk!

u129.jpg

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Honestly, with an unpopular player, I'd assume that rare cards pop up way less often than the mega stars. Which makes them a lot rarer to find.

This is true. After the initial surge of sales when a product first comes out, stuff rarely surfaces again for somebody who is less collected. So on one hand it's tougher to locate cards, but on the other hand at least they're cheaper when you do find them.

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
I didn't think the words "high end" and Pacific could go together. Now I know I was right! :wink:

That notwithstanding, nice Gwynn Cramers!

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
I always loved the look of the Cramers Choice and I wished Andruw would have been included. One of the nicest looking Pacific inserts IMO.

Members online

Latest posts