Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado

Wow $750 for the non-serial #ed version of Griffey Jr. Do you own the serial #ed card magicpapa?

$_57.JPG
9f9b43859b9ee392c2429535f4e56e0f465f9bf7.display.jpg

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I don't like how PSA labeled these flips. 1999 Ultimate Victory had Parallel (silver linear foil), Parallel 100 (silver trippy circles serial numbered to 100), and Parallel 1 of 1 (gold trippy circles serial numbered 1 of 1). To me, this flip should be labeled "Parallel 1 of 1 (Missing Serial Number)", so as not to confuse it with the more common Parallel cards.

Wow $750 for the non-serial #ed version of Griffey Jr. Do you own the serial #ed card magicpapa?

$_57.JPG
9f9b43859b9ee392c2429535f4e56e0f465f9bf7.display.jpg

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
In general, I like the idea of obtaining a card that was a pack-pulled 1/1. You know there's a story and journey behind it even if you don't know the story or the journey. But in reality, the non-numbered versions are sometimes just as rare, if not more so, than the pack-inserted versions. For example, how many non-numbered damage replacements do you think they made for a card serial numbered to 100? Fewer than 100 right? Maybe even way fewer. So if you're into rarity...

The only issue to me at that point is how do we know how many of the non-numbereds actually exist. Yes, they probably only made one replacement for the 1/1s. But what if an employee went back later and made more? It's just so hard to know for sure. But I factor that into how much I'm willing to pay. For example, I would have loved to have added that Rusty Greer Exclusives non-numbered to my collection that athletics07 had for sale, but it was just more than I was willing to pay. Conversely, I probably would have paid that price for the actual Exclusives, even though the non-numbered is probably rarer. I just feel more secure in knowing exactly what I have, how many exist, how it was distributed, and that it will be recognized by the collecting community should I choose to resell it.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
In general, I like the idea of obtaining a card that was a pack-pulled 1/1. You know there's a story and journey behind it even if you don't know the story or the journey. But in reality, the non-numbered versions are sometimes just as rare, if not more so, than the pack-inserted versions. For example, how many non-numbered damage replacements do you think they made for a card serial numbered to 100? Fewer than 100 right? Maybe even way fewer. So if you're into rarity...

The only issue to me at that point is how do we know how many of the non-numbereds actually exist. Yes, they probably only made one replacement for the 1/1s. But what if an employee went back later and made more? It's just so hard to know for sure. But I factor that into how much I'm willing to pay. For example, I would have loved to have added that Rusty Greer Exclusives non-numbered to my collection that athletics07 had for sale, but it was just more than I was willing to pay. Conversely, I probably would have paid that price for the actual Exclusives, even though the non-numbered is probably rarer. I just feel more secure in knowing exactly what I have, how many exist, how it was distributed, and that it will be recognized by the collecting community should I choose to resell it.

I am in the process of negotiations of a price for one of these graded Ultimate Victory missing serial numbered cards. The seller told me during these negotiations how much another one sold for of the same card. If his records are correct there is more than one of these of my player. I own the "real" 1/1 and just thought it be a good conversation piece to have both.

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011

Yeah i was also a bit surprised, like others, that the BIN wasn't hit.

Curious if anyone has noticed that the "Certified Stars" version of this card doesn't sell for as much as the regular card. In this case i wonder if this were the McGwire #49 instead of the #139 if there would be a price premium.

same way it seems to be with the 96 Select Mirror Gold with prices between the regular card and the PP cards.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Yeah i was also a bit surprised, like others, that the BIN wasn't hit.

Curious if anyone has noticed that the "Certified Stars" version of this card doesn't sell for as much as the regular card. In this case i wonder if this were the McGwire [URL=http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=49]#49 [/URL] instead of the #139 if there would be a price premium.

same way it seems to be with the 96 Select Mirror Gold with prices between the regular card and the PP cards.

Does the #49 have a confirmed Black ?

Ryan

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Does the #49 have a confirmed Black ?

Ryan
[h=3]Mirror Black[/h] This mysterious and very scarce parallel was probably the result of a few test sheets being cut and inserted into packs during Certified's fifth and final press run. The Mirror Blacks give off a bright green reflection when placed in direct light, but are silver with black print when placed away from light. It is not known for sure if Mirror Blacks for all 150 cards exist; however, Beckett Baseball Card Monthly reported in 1997 that at least two Mirror Blacks of Jay Buhner were pulled from packs. Below is a list of known cards.
2 Mo Vaughn
27 Brady Anderson
82 Jay Buhner
103 Edgar Renteria
121 Dmitri Young
Mark McGwire
Brian Giles
Juan Gonzalez
Andrew Jones

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
[h=3]Mirror Black[/h] This mysterious and very scarce parallel was probably the result of a few test sheets being cut and inserted into packs during Certified's fifth and final press run. The Mirror Blacks give off a bright green reflection when placed in direct light, but are silver with black print when placed away from light. It is not known for sure if Mirror Blacks for all 150 cards exist; however, Beckett Baseball Card Monthly reported in 1997 that at least two Mirror Blacks of Jay Buhner were pulled from packs. Below is a list of known cards.
2 Mo Vaughn
27 Brady Anderson
82 Jay Buhner
103 Edgar Renteria
121 Dmitri Young
Mark McGwire
Brian Giles
Juan Gonzalez
Andrew Jones

Def not up to date. The McGwire isn't numbered so not sure if that is the base , but there also is a Maddux for sure.

Ryan

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
Mirror Black

This mysterious and very scarce parallel was probably the result of a few test sheets being cut and inserted into packs during Certified's fifth and final press run. The Mirror Blacks give off a bright green reflection when placed in direct light, but are silver with black print when placed away from light. It is not known for sure if Mirror Blacks for all 150 cards exist; however, Beckett Baseball Card Monthly reported in 1997 that at least two Mirror Blacks of Jay Buhner were pulled from packs. Below is a list of known cards.
2 Mo Vaughn
27 Brady Anderson
82 Jay Buhner
103 Edgar Renteria
121 Dmitri Young
Mark McGwire
Brian Giles
Juan Gonzalez
Andrew Jones

Both Andruw's exist. I think 106 is in a PSA 10 case and 150. Both times I saw them they were ended early despite assurances from the sellers I'd have an opportunity to match the offer. Oh well. I know the PSA 10 was around $500 when the listing ended; I can only imagine what was offered.

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
An impressive Jose Guillen collection just popped on eBay...if you're into that sort of thing. The in demand sets all appropriately priced though...

Members online