Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Old guy coming back......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ziteac

Mar 20, 2024
Colorado
Hello all, my name is Chris from Colorado, and I am getting back into card collecting after a 26-year absence. I was an avid Ozzie Smith collector for many years and was the one thing me and my father bonded over. Sad to say when I got married, I was forced to stop, and I have missed it. Things got worse when my ex decided to throw out my collection of Ozzie cards in which I had roughly 700 with no dupes. I don't want to talk about it more as it makes me sick and is making me sicker when I am repurchasing cards I already owned.

Anyway, I have missed it and I have a lot to learn as the landscape seems so much more different than when I was collecting. Hell, I had to learn what hanger, blaster, and master boxes were. I am also learning about all the different variations. I cannot believe that Ozzie has over 10,000 different cards produced. I guess my lifelong goal as a kid to collect one of every Ozzie card is not happening. LOL So I am trying to decide what I want to collect. I know I want to get the cards that I and my father had so much fun finding, but the newer stuff I have no clue so any advice would be great.

I am currently creating a database in Excel, and I have contacted a couple of sellers that I found here and some that old friends told me to look into. If there are any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks, and I look forward to getting to know everyone.
Chris

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Your return to the hobby sounds a lot like mine. I was away from 1996-2014, and when I realized what had happened in the meantime it was truly a shock.

FWIW, I'd say focus on the playing career and only pick up post-career cards if they really strike a chord with you. Otherwise you'll go crazy, and broke.

ziteac

Mar 20, 2024
Colorado
Thanks everyone, yeah I already found that out, crazy and broke. Right now I am trying to find the cards I remembered my father and I searched forever for and a lot of the old oddball cards. I have already reached out to Tim to start rebuilding the collection. I am also looking forward to go to a card show today.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts