Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Opening Day 4-hit games over the past decade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Baseball reference posted a blog showing all of the 4 hit games on Opening Day over the last 10 years. Pretty interesting list....especially seeing Aaron Miles on there twice, as well as Xavier Nady. What surprised me the most is that Corey Patterson has the most RBIs out of any of them! All position players have accomplished this feat since 2001.

fourhit.png

BLOG POST - 4 HIT GAMES ON OPENING DAY

Out of the past ten years there has been only one season [2002] that has not had a player with 4 hits on Opening Day. Odds are in favor of this happening again in 2011, so that leads me to my question.....

Who do you guys think has the best chance to get a 4+ hit game on Opening Day 2011?

Disclaimer: Please do not pick players solely because you want their Bowman Chrome card to go up in value, save that for another thread!

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
GAbballplayer148 said:
I found it interesting that despite going 4-5 with 2 runs, Carlos Gozalez had a negative WPA.

Gonzalez from last year is the only player to have a negative WPA for his day. That was in part because of his erasure on a CS after leading off the game with a single. The single put the Rockies' odds of winning from 50% up to 54%, only for it to immediately drop to 48% when he was thrown out. He also grounded into a double play in his only at-bat that didn't result in a hit.

GAbballplayer148

Aug 13, 2008
scotty21690 said:
GAbballplayer148 said:
I found it interesting that despite going 4-5 with 2 runs, Carlos Gozalez had a negative WPA.

Gonzalez from last year is the only player to have a negative WPA for his day. That was in part because of his erasure on a CS after leading off the game with a single. The single put the Rockies' odds of winning from 50% up to 54%, only for it to immediately drop to 48% when he was thrown out. He also grounded into a double play in his only at-bat that didn't result in a hit.

:) Thanks, pretty interesting that a first inning CS ended up costing him that much.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
ThoseBackPages said:
I'll take the bait, E. Jeter has had 2 3-hit games on Opening Day in his career (99' & 09'). Odds are against a 36 year old though, as I don't believe anyone on the list was over 32 years of age.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
GAbballplayer148 said:
scotty21690 said:
GAbballplayer148 said:

:) Thanks, pretty interesting that a first inning CS ended up costing him that much.
Yea, I agree.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts