Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Preserving an auto on a ball

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ripken2131_8

Feb 4, 2011
Savannah, GA
Hey guys

I have a ball my dad got signed by Cal several years ago and over time the auto has faded significantly. I currently keep it in a ball cube in one of my locked safes, so light obviously isn't what's causing it. I'm assuming it's just from a crappy pen. Is there anything I can do to keep if from further deterioration?

file-5.jpg

nofrills

Nov 1, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Not that i'm an expert or anything, but I think it has more to do with the type of ball rather than the pen in this case.
A ROMLB ball is real leather, which holds the ink better. That ball isn't an official, and I think it's some sort of vinyl or other covering which prevents the ink from adhering well.
Not so sure there is anything that can be done at this point. Hopefully, I'm wrong here.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
I had a ball just like that. Cheap ball and it kept fading more and more. Sorry to hear.

Then I recently realized the ball I had tucked away, grew some spots. Ugh.

attachment.php

attachment.php

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I've never tried it, but I've heard rubbing a ball down with baby powder, wraping in that thin paper they come in, and keeping in a dry, dark, climate controled place will preserve an auto for a long time...

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
I've never tried it, but I've heard rubbing a ball down with baby powder, wraping in that thin paper they come in, and keeping in a dry, dark, climate controled place will preserve an auto for a long time...

I have a Musial china ball I would almost be willing to try this on. It was given to me for cutting my neighbors grass. Is the baby powder supposed to go on before it gets signed though? Also does it have to contain talc or just regular baby powder? It may be done bleeding though because its looked the same for around a year.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I have a Musial china ball I would almost be willing to try this on. It was given to me for cutting my neighbors grass. Is the baby powder supposed to go on before it gets signed though? Also does it have to contain talc or just regular baby powder? It may be done bleeding though because its looked the same for around a year.

I believe talc was mentioned, and supposedly you just lightly rub it on after the signing. It can also easily be cleaned off when needed in the future. I never had the balls (pun intended) to try it though..

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I had a ball just like that. Cheap ball and it kept fading more and more. Sorry to hear.

Then I recently realized the ball I had tucked away, grew some spots. Ugh.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have a couple Rawlings signed baseballs with the same ugly spots.Almost makes me want to throw them in the trash.Damn baseballs were in perfect condition when I bought them.

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
I believe talc was mentioned, and supposedly you just lightly rub it on after the signing. It can also easily be cleaned off when needed in the future. I never had the balls (pun intended) to try it though..

I have had the ball for around a year already so idk if it will work. I have nothing invested in the ball so I am not too worried about it. I just have to getbaby powder with talc in it which I need to buy anyway for chrome baseball cards. May try it.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I went to a signing a couple weeks ago, and sure enough some guy in line right behind me had those cheap crappy made in China balls to be signed.I wanted to tell him to take them back, but at that point it was too late.I guess you live and you learn.

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
I went to a signing a couple weeks ago, and sure enough some guy in line right behind me had those cheap crappy made in China balls to be signed.I wanted to tell him to take them back, but at that point it was too late.I guess you live and you learn.
I gave a guy in line for Pujols at winter warm up a 2006 WS Ball to get signed one time because he was going to get a china ball signed we traded and I drew a black sharpie mark through the sweet spot and gave it to a kid. That was a 175 dollar autograph.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I gave a guy in line for Pujols at winter warm up a 2006 WS Ball to get signed one time because he was going to get a china ball signed we traded and I drew a black sharpie mark through the sweet spot and gave it to a kid. That was a 175 dollar autograph.

Kudos to you for giving him a heads up on that.I would be livid to spend that much, only to have the signature fade over time.How does your Pujols World Series ball look now?

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
Kudos to you for giving him a heads up on that.I would be livid to spend that much, only to have the signature fade over time.How does your Pujols World Series ball look now?

One of these is from 03 I think and the other is early 2007.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1347675922880.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1347675922880.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 46
  • uploadfromtaptalk1347676008858.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1347676008858.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 43

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Every signed baseball is going to fade or change in time. Leather wasn't meant to be written on.....

I figure I have about 300 baseballs signed ranging from Mickey Mantle to Jeff Treadway. For every 10, one has a problem. Thats a pretty good ratio. No one that cant be replaced. The problem is losing their rookie sig.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis

Even if that does work, doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a nice auto ball if you can't ever see it?

Members online

Latest posts