Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Red Sox Vs Cubs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
I'm still half-asleep from being at the game last night. My brother and I took my father for his 60th birthday, which was yesterday, and he never asks for anything but wanted this, so we made it happen. Terrific atmosphere in the place last night, minimum PinkHats, and quite a large number of Cub fans stayed for the Sunday game (I figured they'd all go Friday and Saturday and go home Sunday).

Most of the Cub fans I saw were pleasant and polite, which helped make the atmosphere what it was. I had one next to me, and was eager to chat about things between the two teams, but he was from Connecticut. Not quite as interesting.

Welington Castillo has a cannon. We were behind the plate, and his throw to catch Ellsbury stealing looked like an absolute rocket.

Carl Crawford has zero confidence at the plate right now, because Adrian Gonzalez has it all.

And, the Red Sox put a message on the board (as I assume most parks do) that gave a number to text if something was "interfering with your enjoyment of the game". So, my brother and I sent texts during "Sweet Caroline". We never got a response from Security.

rehmus

Mar 10, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
bungle77 said:
And, the Red Sox put a message on the board (as I assume most parks do) that gave a number to text if something was "interfering with your enjoyment of the game". So, my brother and I sent texts during "Sweet Caroline". We never got a response from Security.

good luck getting rid of sweet caroline. it's now a part of the 'fenway experience'

although it pales in comparison to the Braves starting the tomahawk chop when the team is down by 8 runs in the 5th inning just so some idiot can get the full 'braves experience'

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
rehmus said:
bungle77 said:

good luck getting rid of sweet caroline. it's now a part of the 'fenway experience'

although it pales in comparison to the Braves starting the tomahawk chop when the team is down by 8 runs in the 5th inning just so some idiot can get the full 'braves experience'

Oh, I know...it's awful. The DJ at my wedding started to play "Sweet Caroline" and I told him that if he didn't end it immediately then I wasn't paying him.
One of the local sports stations has a bit called "Ask A Pink Hat", where they find people outside the game and ask them questions about baseball (it's embarrassing and hilarious at the same time - if you have 15-20 minutes, find them with a Google search for a good laugh), and the last one I heard has a girl who was wearing the shirt of her favorite player, "Justin" Pedroia, thought the area that pitchers warmed up in was called the "pitching mat", but knew every word to SC.

Yay, Boston!

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I like it! :lol:

"Jim Wakefield is looking tired out there. Looks like Larry Francona is making the call... Pat Albers will start warming up on the pitching mat."

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
coltsnsox07 said:
Cubs throw at a Red Sox again...

When you bean the other team's center fielder and he cannot see out of one of his eyes in the aftermath, you deserve it. That can end a guy's career; let's hope it didn't end Byrd's career. He has multiple broken bones around his eye. Wood and the Cubs did it in a class way and the Red Sox didn't complain because they knew they had it coming.

rehmus

Mar 10, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
James52411 said:
coltsnsox07 said:

When you bean the other team's center fielder and he cannot see out of one of his eyes in the aftermath, you deserve it. That can end a guy's career; let's hope it didn't end Byrd's career. He has multiple broken bones around his eye. Wood and the Cubs did it in a class way and the Red Sox didn't complain because they knew they had it coming.

not excusing the horror of the play, but do you think aceves meant to bean him?

sure, retaliate, but three times? come on.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
rehmus said:
James52411 said:
coltsnsox07 said:

The Cubs hit two Red Sox, so the score was even. As for Aceves, I hope he didn't intend to bean him and I do not think he did. However, he needed to be sent a message that negligence is not an excuse. When you bean a guy you can kill him or end his career. It's not acceptable for a pitcher to accidentally bean a guy. If Dustin Pedroia had been beaned in the eye by Carlos Marmol and he couldn't see out of it in the aftermath, you'd want blood. Boston should be happy that the Cubs did it the right way.

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
James52411 said:
rehmus said:
James52411 said:
coltsnsox07 said:

The Cubs hit two Red Sox, so the score was even. As for Aceves, I hope he didn't intend to bean him and I do not think he did. However, he needed to be sent a message that negligence is not an excuse. When you bean a guy you can kill him or end his career. It's not acceptable for a pitcher to accidentally bean a guy. If Dustin Pedroia had been beaned in the eye by Carlos Marmol and he couldn't see out of it in the aftermath, you'd want blood. Boston should be happy that the Cubs did it the right way.

While overall I don't have much of a problem with it, I think the message was sent the first time. I'm not sure why it needed to happen a second night to emphasize the point. Because the Red Sox didn't complain and didn't escalate shows just that. If I were on the Sox the second night, I might have been a little miffed in a "We get it, you're unhappy" sort of way. I think last night was just Kerry Wood being himself.
Had both batters been hit Saturday night, then there's no problem at all. Waiting 24 hours was a tad unnecessary.

But, I'm nitpicking. I'm not really outraged, nor is any of the local fan base.

CAROLINA BOSOX

Aug 12, 2008
Goose Creek, SC
James52411 said:
rehmus said:
James52411 said:
coltsnsox07 said:

So its not acceptable to accidentally hit a batter but its OK if you hit a batter the right way? I am confused.

Why does anybody think the RedSox hit Byrd on purpose? Did Byrd do something to warrant being thrown at? I honestly think it was just an accident.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
CAROLINA BOSOX said:
So its not acceptable to accidentally hit a batter but its OK if you hit a batter the right way? I am confused.

Why does anybody think the RedSox hit Byrd on purpose? Did Byrd do something to warrant being thrown at? I honestly think it was just an accident.

Part of the "baseball code" is that if you hit one of ours, we will hit one of yours. Aceves hit two Cubs, one in the eye. A pitcher can throw inside, but you have to do it the right way. If you intentionally hit someone, you try to hit them from the thighs to the middle of the back. Your own team also needs to have your back and be OK with it because one of your own will get one in return. Beaning someone is always unacceptable and is pretty much the cardinal sin a pitcher can commit, whether an accident or not.

Intentionally hitting a batter is simply "rough justice." The Cubs sent a message to Aceves that he needs to control his stuff or else he is going to get his own players hurt. Hopefully he'll concentrate a bit more when he pitches inside here on out.

CAROLINA BOSOX

Aug 12, 2008
Goose Creek, SC
James52411 said:
CAROLINA BOSOX said:

Part of the "baseball code" is that if you hit one of ours, we will hit one of yours. Aceves hit two Cubs, one in the eye. A pitcher can throw inside, but you have to do it the right way. If you intentionally hit someone, you try to hit them from the thighs to the middle of the back. Your own team also needs to have your back and be OK with it because one of your own will get one in return. Beaning someone is always unacceptable and is pretty much the cardinal sin a pitcher can commit, whether an accident or not.

Intentionally hitting a batter is simply "rough justice." The Cubs sent a message to Aceves that he needs to control his stuff or else he is going to get his own players hurt. Hopefully he'll concentrate a bit more when he pitches inside here on out.
James, I understand how baseball justice plays out . I didn't know that Aceves hit more than one of yours, I thought it was an isolated incident. Hopefully Byrd is gonna be OK and nothing more comes of this.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
James52411 said:
rehmus said:
James52411 said:
coltsnsox07 said:

You have an interesting way of viewing things. It's not as easy as they make it look, you know. Haven't you seen a pitcher sail one over the catcher's head? Or bounce one a foot in front of the plate? They don't do that on purpose. And there's a whole statistical category dedicated to "Wild Pitches".

While it's not cool to hit a guy accidentally, it happens... and, well, it's an accident. The batters choose to step into the box knowing the risk they take. If you ask me, it's much less "acceptable" for a batter to hit a line drive back at the pitcher's head, but... it happens. Never on purpose, but the guys playing know it can happen at any time.

Members online

Latest posts