Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rickey Henderson Collectors Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jan 14, 2009
It's sheet cut. The 1991 topps pre-production cards were issued in 9-card sheet form. Bo Jackson, wade Boggs and Benito Santiago are a few others on the sheet.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
jacksoncoupage said:
It's sheet cut. The 1991 topps pre-production cards were issued in 9-card sheet form. Bo Jackson, wade Boggs and Benito Santiago are a few others on the sheet.

That explains why it's a little thick on one edge then. Not going to worry about trimming it as I might mess it up. That's why I found a screw down holder with no card area recessed. Are they rare? I know not /5 or anything, but were they hard to get or pretty common?

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
Leffer said:
I have an extra 1991 Topps Pre-Production panel of 9 if anyone is interested.

Here's a pic of the panel:
http://jalbum.net/en/browse/user/album/798990/

BTW, the Dynasty card was not a Broder issue, but it might have been a magazine insert.

$ Sheet ?

I remember long ago seeing the Dynasty card at a show. There were 4 cards the dealer had. Ryan, Griffey, Rickey and can't remember the 4th. Not sure if thats all 4 there are or what? I just didn't know if anyone else knew anything about it or not.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Hendersonfan said:
Leffer said:
I have an extra 1991 Topps Pre-Production panel of 9 if anyone is interested.

Here's a pic of the panel:
http://jalbum.net/en/browse/user/album/798990/

BTW, the Dynasty card was not a Broder issue, but it might have been a magazine insert.

$ Sheet ?

I remember long ago seeing the Dynasty card at a show. There were 4 cards the dealer had. Ryan, Griffey, Rickey and can't remember the 4th. Not sure if thats all 4 there are or what? I just didn't know if anyone else knew anything about it or not.

8 card set.

1992 Broder Type - Dynasty Baseball Card #1 JUSTICE,DAVE
1992 Broder Type - Dynasty Baseball Card #2 GRIFFEY JR,KEN
1992 Broder Type - Dynasty Baseball Card #3 HENDERSON,RICKEY
1992 Broder Type - Dynasty Baseball Card #4 JACKSON,BO
1992 Broder Type - Dynasty Baseball Card #5 CLARK,WILL
1992 Broder Type - Dynasty Baseball Card #6 ALOMAR JR,SANDY
1992 Broder Type - Dynasty Baseball Card #7 DAVIS,ERIC
1992 Broder Type - Dynasty Baseball Card #8 RYAN,NOLAN

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
Thanks for the clarification on the Dynasty cards.

So I was looking thru the checklist Brad sent me. There is a 97 Score Hobby Reserve card listed. Does anyone have one of these? I've never seen or heard of it. RickeyPedia doesn't have it listed either.

I have:
97 Score
97 Score Showcase
97 Score Premium Stock
97 Artist's Proof White Border
97 Showcase Artist's Proof

I saw pictures on eBay of Hobby Reserve cards that show a similar gold foil as the Premium Stock.

ManOfSteal

Oct 7, 2009
Sacramento, CA
henderson939 said:
Brian, I am pretty sure that it doesnt exist.

BTW I love the term Rickeypedia. I am sure Dave would love it too. Its a great name for it.
Yup, doesn't exist. Private Stock was the Series 1 parallel and Hobby Reserve was Series 2 (and Rickey did not have a card in Series 2). I have not deleted it off the official checklist, but I've noted that it does not exist (mainly for when people ask me questions about it, I can remember why it should not be listed, lol).

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
ManOfSteal said:
henderson939 said:
Brian, I am pretty sure that it doesnt exist.

BTW I love the term Rickeypedia. I am sure Dave would love it too. Its a great name for it.
Yup, doesn't exist. Private Stock was the Series 1 parallel and Hobby Reserve was Series 2 (and Rickey did not have a card in Series 2). I have not deleted it off the official checklist, but I've noted that it does not exist (mainly for when people ask me questions about it, I can remember why it should not be listed, lol).

I think I do remember that now that you mention it. I remember seeing in an old Beckett that the series one was PS and two was HR. Thanks for clarification.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
So slowly but surely I'm updating the list Brad sent me. I'm adding my cards to the list and have it set up to calculate % of cards I have and how many. I can email this to anyone when done and keep a record of what everyone has. I'm pretty good with excel so I can keep track of who has what with what serial number.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Hope everybody had a great 4th!

I had a great time, went and saw the only fireworks show around. There's a burn ban because it's been so dry, so Colorado Springs didn't do any. We had to go up the road to Palmer Lake, where they light them over a lake so there wouldn't be any fires. There were several! :lol: It was crazy, a ball of fire fell about 15 yards from us and lit the grass on fire. Luckily there were plenty of good 'Mericans who went over and stamped it out. Across the lake there were a couple that were growing very nicely before anybody could get to them. It was probably the best show I've ever seen here in Colorado. Even taking into account the rednecks behind us who kept yelling "We killed Osama!!! 'Merica!!!!!!" I had a hard time grasping the relevance of the two events, the killing and the fireworks, but overall it was awesome.

Then we went back to this party. My beautiful wife to be and my sister were there, and last year the three of us were in Omaha and watched the show at Rosenblatt Stadium. We were reminiscing, and these punk kids started talking smack about old people and how everything was always better back in the day, but our memories are probably failing us. And Nebraska!? Nothing good ever happened in NE. They had this gargantuan screen TV, and their computer hooked up to it, so I showed them a real fireworks show. I never thought about it, but it's right there on youtube. 4th of July Rosenblatt Stadium 2010. WoW.

For Rickey related news, once in the early 80's after the 4th of July game Rickey went into the stands and watched the fireworks with the fans, and signed autographs for kids. True story? I dunno, I just read it while looking for something Rickey might have done on the 4th. :lol:

rickeyfan20

Jun 21, 2011
Illinois
Hey guys, hoping to have some pictures of my collection posted soon! I just started up with two more classes for my Master's Degree so between that and working full time it can be difficult to find time for my hobbies. Quick question though, from the beckett checklist there are items categorized as SLU Baseball and SLU Baseball Open. I assumed these were in reference to the Kenner Starting Lineup Figures, but I just wanted to get my assumption clarified as either correct or incorrect.

ManOfSteal

Oct 7, 2009
Sacramento, CA
rickeyfan20 said:
Hey guys, hoping to have some pictures of my collection posted soon! I just started up with two more classes for my Master's Degree so between that and working full time it can be difficult to find time for my hobbies. Quick question though, from the beckett checklist there are items categorized as SLU Baseball and SLU Baseball Open. I assumed these were in reference to the Kenner Starting Lineup Figures, but I just wanted to get my assumption clarified as either correct or incorrect.

Definitely looking forward to seeing sone pictures. I've got one more year left in my MBA program, and can't wait for it to be over. As for the SLU assumption, you are correct. It actually annoys me a little that the figures are even listed (I've given up rationalizing how they decide what to include, lol), but it's even worse that they include both open and unopened versions.

Hope everyone had a great 4th! We didn't go out and do anything, but that's fine by me. I'll take a 3-day weekend anytime!

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
ManOfSteal said:
Hope everyone had a great 4th! We didn't go out and do anything, but that's fine by me. I'll take a 3-day weekend anytime!

Projected 24M cases of beer were to be consumed, I did my share and drank a case. Watched some fireworks and had some good times with friends. Beer, burgers and brats. Only thing missing was playing some softball.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
1984 MLBPA Pencils Rickey Henderson 7
1984 MLBPA Pencils Rickey Henderson 7 Sharpened

1982 Seven-Eleven Slurpee Cups 22
1982 Seven-Eleven Slurpee Cups 22 Used

1980 Topps 482
1980 Topps 482 Creased

I hope that fully explains my feelings on the stupid things in the OPG, and how stupid putting 2 SLUs, one opened, is.

Glad to hear about the good times! I had almost as fun last night, there was my brother, some twin girls, a Black Ops Rubicon and some Pei Wei. Goooood times! I did miss another excellent performance by CC though. :x

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Hendersonfan said:
RL24 said:

I think there are actually 2 pencils. I don't have either, but I think they have different numbers. Series 1 and 2 I think.

Yep

HENDERSON,RICKEY 1984 MLBPA NAPPCO Pencil 1st Series #14 of 36
HENDERSON,RICKEY 1984 MLBPA NAPPCO Pencil 2nd Series #07 of 18

rickeyfanatic

Aug 15, 2008
MA
tpeichel said:
Hendersonfan said:
RL24 said:

I think there are actually 2 pencils. I don't have either, but I think they have different numbers. Series 1 and 2 I think.

Yep

HENDERSON,RICKEY 1984 MLBPA NAPPCO Pencil 1st Series #14 of 36
HENDERSON,RICKEY 1984 MLBPA NAPPCO Pencil 2nd Series #07 of 18

What is the difference between them? They aren't numbered on the outside..

Members online

Latest posts