Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Selling ungraded cards on eBay is not even worth it anymore

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
Recently sold a few raw, older cards on eBay. I tried to give accurate descriptions and use some hobby terminology when it came to the cards condition.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... AQ:US:1123

Pretty basic description and then greater details at the bottom of the page.

Card has good centering on the front and is about 60/40 or 55/45 and is about 60/40 or 55/45 on the rear. Corners are in okay shape, minor wear on each of the corners. Surface has some minor blemishes along the border, with a small indentation on the right side. Edges appear to be in okay condition too, a little wear and chipping along the sides. I am not a vintage grader, so I have no idea what to expect out of these cards from BGS.

I get an message from the buyer on eBay:

I recently won a Jerry Rice Rookie Topps card from you, but had a few questions about this card I received. The item I received is not accurate. You stated that the Jerry rice rookie card was in excellent condition, I found a noticeable crease/dent on the center of the right edge. Again, based on your description of the card, what I received today does not match the description. I understand you don’t offer refunds; I would like to request a full refund total= $34.00+$3.00= $37.00. When I bid on this item I went by good faith which was described and in excellent condition. Contact me ASAP because I would like to resolve this matter and get my refund ASAP. Your prompt response is greatly appreciated.

::facepalm::

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
IMO....when selling, NEVER offer an opinion on the grade of a raw card. Show the picture and let the buyer decide if they want to buy it or not. Your situation (which sucks) is the reason why. There will always be a difference in opinion about the condition of the card.

EDIT...just reread what you wrote. Agreed, people don't read....me included :lol: .

Boylen33

Jan 26, 2011
Alabama
The problem with Ebay (one of the many) is that anything you add to the description is placed at the bottom of the description. Believe it or not, a lot of bidders don't think to look for any additional information that was added later.

I definitely place the responsibility and fault on the buyer, BUT you did have a discrepancy in your original description and the descrption content you added later, in that you originally said the corners were "sharp" but then said they were "in okay condition" (big difference, IMO, between sharp corners and "okay" corners).

Had the buyer read your additional content, which I guess he didn't, you probably would have been OK. Again, his fault, not yours. But this is ScrewmEbay, so all you can do is refund the money. If you don't, Paypal/Ebay is just going to take it from you anyway.

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
Boylen33 said:
The problem with Ebay (one of the many) is that anything you add to the description is placed at the bottom of the description. Believe it or not, a lot of bidders don't think to look for any additional information that was added later.

I definitely place the responsibility and fault on the buyer, BUT you did have a discrepancy in your original description and the descrption content you added later, in that you originally said the corners were "sharp" but then said they were "in okay condition" (big difference, IMO, between sharp corners and "okay" corners).

Had the buyer read your additional content, which I guess he didn't, you probably would have been OK. Again, his fault, not yours. But this is ScrewmEbay, so all you can do is refund the money. If you don't, Paypal/Ebay is just going to take it from you anyway.

Actually he said the color was sharp not the corners. Seems like we are all a little confused. I think the outcome would have been different had all the information been in the original description.

Boylen33

Jan 26, 2011
Alabama
You are right. My mistake. He said the corners were in "very nice shape", which I still personally consider a far cry from "okay".

But, bottom line, seller is at fault for not reading added description content.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
just another ******* buyer who thinks he should get a mint card even though the seller says its flawed. Whats the ID please

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
At least you put in a nice large pic of the card. You can clearly see the indentation on the right side in the pic. I wish more people would include nice large pics. And if the added description was put in before the person bid on it, then its his fault for not reading before bidding.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
That's why I slabbed most of my high-end cards - even with less than great grades, there really is no justification for argument from the buyer - that is the direction ebay is heading towards - virtually graded only for more expensive cards since it's too easy for ebay to side with the buyer.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
As a buyer I think the biggest problem I encounter is I can't normally find key older cards on ebay that are raw. If I do, they are always in crap condition. It's like either I get forced to buy graded, or I get stuck with crap. It's irritating since I don't like graded stuff. That is why for stuff like this, I'll stick to buying it IP. But IMO, grading has killed enjoyment for some of the older stuff. I don't like being forced to buy it graded because someone wanted to make more money off it. I might even be willing to pay that kind of money without it being graded.

mazarazz

Aug 7, 2008
im at the point now where i just put manufacturer details etc and a scan of the card. no statement to imply anything besides shipping procedure

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Okay...well, the listing says you updated the condition information on July 6. It shows the buyer originally bid on July 4 and sniped at the end.

If this is true, and the dates are correct, I don't think the buyer is at fault at all...the listing changed after he originally bid on the card.

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
BunchOBull said:
Okay...well, the listing says you updated the condition information on July 6. It shows the buyer originally bid on July 4 and sniped at the end.

If this is true, and the dates are correct, I don't think the buyer is at fault at all...the listing changed after he originally bid on the card.

I thought eBay sends out an email to bidders when a listing has been updated.

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
zach said:
BunchOBull said:

I thought eBay sends out an email to bidders when a listing has been updated.

Doesn't work if you set a snipe.

The seller's scan sucks. The edges and corners are not clearly visible. Comes across as "something to hide" and why I rarely bid on items with this type of image. Why not stick a piece of colored (usually black) paper behind the card when scanning/photographing then crop while still leaving a black frame. Crap images are a surefire way to lose bids.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
mazarazz said:
im at the point now where i just put manufacturer details etc and a scan of the card. no statement to imply anything besides shipping procedure

Same here.

If I get questions like they're trying to get a Grade Value out of me, I just tell them to buy a graded copy.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
f2tornado said:
The seller's scan sucks. The edges and corners are not clearly visible. Comes across as "something to hide" and why I rarely bid on items with this type of image. Why not stick a piece of colored (usually black) paper behind the card when scanning/photographing then crop while still leaving a black frame. Crap images are a surefire way to lose bids.

I actually updated the photos, as you can see in the listing, however, they did not show up for some reason. It was just HTML code.

Members online

Latest posts