Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So what's going to be the "shocker" in next week's hof vote?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Jeff Freaking Kent?! Without doing my research, can someone tell me why he is even in the HOF conversation? Because he won a MVP?

Seriously though, played 17 official years with 6 teams... never led the league any year in anything (other than sac flies twice) and from what I recall, doesn't have any milestones.

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
How can anyone claim Piazza is NOT a Hall of Famer? Probably the best hitting catcher of all time and never linked to roids. If he gets snubbed for a second year in a row it's an atrocity.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
How can anyone claim Piazza is NOT a Hall of Famer? Probably the best hitting catcher of all time and never linked to roids. If he gets snubbed for a second year in a row it's an atrocity.

That's what happens when old teammates say you were juicing, along with admitting other, allowed at the time, PED use.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Piazza will get in (probably in '15 or '16); there are quiet PED rumors, but they aren't substantiated and won't keep him out. Overall, he was a below average defensive catcher, and I think that hurts him...but he definitely had the best bat of anyone behind the plate.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Jeff Freaking Kent?! Without doing my research, can someone tell me why he is even in the HOF conversation? Because he won a MVP?

Seriously though, played 17 official years with 6 teams... never led the league any year in anything (other than sac flies twice) and from what I recall, doesn't have any milestones.

I say he eventually gets in as the greatest power hitting second-baseman of all-time......most HRs and 3rd most RBI's....plus MVP.....he's at least in the conversation.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I say he eventually gets in as the greatest power hitting second-baseman of all-time......most HRs and 3rd most RBI's....plus MVP.....he's at least in the conversation.

Still not seeing it. He lead the league in nothing ever lol. He played 17 seasons and accomplished no milestones. I don't care that he is in the conversation as maybe best power hitter at his individual position?! Lol sorry, maybe I'm alone on this but I find him being in the conversation as being comical.

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
Maddux, Thomas, and Glavine definitely get in. My shocker is Piazza. It's a shame Fred McGriff doesn't get serious consideration. He was a consistently dominant player during his era.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country

As others have said, it's not the Hall of Very Good. He was good, but not elite.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
Maddux, Thomas, and Glavine definitely get in. My shocker is Piazza. It's a shame Fred McGriff doesn't get serious consideration. He was a consistently dominant player during his era.

+1

Crime dog hasn't been linked to anything. Almost 500 hr, top 10 power bat during his career. He deserves more consideration then he gets

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Freedom Card Board mobile app

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I have a feeling Thomas gets in but just barely. He was so incredible 1990-1997 but fell off pretty sharply. I know, injuries and simply coming back to earth and all that, but to me it never seemed like he really captured the megastardom you need to get 90%, especially with the number of voters going up every year. Piazza I think should also get in, and barely will. After being fairly starved for top tier guys, I think voters will put in at least 5:
Maddux 95%
Glavine 92%
Thomas 78%
Piazza 75.00001%
One of the group of Mussina, Morris, Biggio, and Raines.

The shocker will be that Edgar Martinez jumps to over 50%. The "is a DH electable" debate is swinging his way.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Crime dog would have over 500 hrs (493) if not for the strike.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Fair enough... he might improve on his % but still won't get in and probably never.

I think Bonds and Clemens get in as soon as Maddux, Thomas, Griffey, the Big Unit, and a few of the other perceived "clean" stars of the '90s and early 2000s are inducted. I wouldn't be surprised if Bonds and Clemens end with 45% of the vote this year.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Most recent update of the compiled released ballots:

The 2014 HOF Ballot Collecting Gizmo!
Updated: Jan.3 - 12:15 ~ 107 Full Ballots ~ (18.8% of vote ~ based on last year)
100 - Maddux
97.2 - Glavine
90.7 - F. Thomas
80.4 - Biggio
———————————
72.9 - Piazza
66.4 - Bagwell
60.7 - Jack (The Jack) Morris
56.1 - Raines
45.8 - Bonds
44.9 - Clemens
39.3 - Schilling