Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Starting my own card company - first offering inside!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markotsay7

Feb 18, 2011
I'm a little confused, I thought all thick high end rare relic cards were supposed to be chipped and dinged along the edges?

If you are selling the card, technically you don't have the right to use Rodriguez' picture (even if "enhanced"). That being said, you're such small potatoes, I can't see anyone coming after you, logo or not.

(Not to highjack your thread, nice card BTW)
That doesn't stop Upper Deck. I know for a fact that they went on a Facebook (or his Flickr page) and took a photographers photo to use for Goodwin a couple of years ago, didn't even contact him. UD had someone do a rendering of the photo, hence the reason they felt they didn't need permission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
mouschi, make a GU jumbo "cabinet" card that has the whole autographed brim inserted and another with the Texas logo.

That is the plan...well...close at least!

mouschi

May 18, 2012
I can't leave well enough alone ... I got a little more artsy today. I decided I was going to redo the card since I wasn't happy with a few things. While I was at it, I tried on a few different ideas:

1) make the outside of the patch box the hat picture
2) give it a catchy / cheesy name

So ladies and gentlemen, I present to you ... FAME WORN (haha)

20140908_172905.jpg

COMPLETELY unsure if I'm going to ditch the first design in lieu of this, but I did want to try it. I think it came out cool! I'm just not sure if I like the concept more than the design.

Last edited:

mouschi

May 18, 2012
It looks like the original design is preferred 75/25, so I switched it back, only with a few enhancements.

I ditched Fame Worn and went with Relics of the Game
I kept it more simple up top
The back has a half picture of the hat
I mourned the loss of my idea of carrying the picture of the hat throughout the picture <sniffle>. Don't worry though - if you were in the 25% of those who liked it, fear not! I will use that type of concept at some point! :)

20140909_140054.jpg

20140909_140107.jpg

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
You do have to be careful using other people's images, even if it is modified. It isn't the player that could ask for compensation, but the photographer. My wife is a photographer and she has her stuff stolen with annoying regularity. If people ask, she almost always lets people use it for free. If they don't ask, she sends them a bill.

That said, I think it look amazing.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
I've been able to secure a real picture of Pudge that is usable for my design.

20140910_080156.jpg

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
I can't leave well enough alone ... I got a little more artsy today. I decided I was going to redo the card since I wasn't happy with a few things. While I was at it, I tried on a few different ideas:

1) make the outside of the patch box the hat picture
2) give it a catchy / cheesy name

So ladies and gentlemen, I present to you ... FAME WORN (haha)

20140908_172905.jpg

COMPLETELY unsure if I'm going to ditch the first design in lieu of this, but I did want to try it. I think it came out cool! I'm just not sure if I like the concept more than the design.

I like the hat border. How many test prints did it take you to get the stitching to coming close to lining up?

Also the FAME WORN doesnt exactly do it for me. Was Pudge really famous off the field?

Fordman

mouschi

May 18, 2012
I had too few people for the hat graphic, so I decided to go with the latest offering instead - I think it only took one or two tries, which is amazing for me, as everything *always* takes longer than I think it should. I will def. use that hat graphic concept at some point down the road though! I think it just needs to be finessed a little. Fame Worn was a GREAT IDEA!!! In my head ... for 5 minutes. Then I started hating it.

I like the hat border. How many test prints did it take you to get the stitching to coming close to lining up?

Also the FAME WORN doesnt exactly do it for me. Was Pudge really famous off the field?

Fordman

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Hats Off (it's been used before) , or what about (esp on the button part if the hat ) - Tip of the Cap ? Might not work , but I've heard it before and , well, it is the tip of the cap .

Ryan

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Hats Off (it's been used before) , or what about (esp on the button part if the hat ) - Tip of the Cap ? Might not work , but I've heard it before and , well, it is the tip of the cap .

Ryan

See how fun it is? It is much too fun just to sit and think about various types of names!

markotsay7

Feb 18, 2011
Fun fact: that button is called a squatchee. Maybe there's a pun there with Pudge being a catcher (squat-chee)

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Fun fact: that button is called a squatchee. Maybe there's a pun there with Pudge being a catcher (squat-chee)

You know, I had actually looked that up to see what it was called. I settled on button because I thought that would look weird on the card.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I don't know that I've ever seen Pudge wear a hat on the field (opposite for Molina)....ever. I'm sure he did, but image I see was always him wearing that backwards flapless helmet.

Maybe GU hats of Pudge are rare....like Olerud.

Members online

Latest posts