Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Top 5 most overrated Players in MLB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
Ok, so lets all be adults about this and really put some thought into it, we all know some players have soiled their names a bit, but lets look at the whole picture when deciding our top 5. Again, Era is not a factor when picking your 5, so feel free to go back to when it all started and as late as last night if you will. So with that said, lets get ready to rumble!!! In my Michael Buffer voice). Ready???Go!!!!!

Looking for Alex Rodriguez Cards, let me know!

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
The issue with a thread like this is that it presupposes that the players are "rated" which would then allow people to decide if they were "overrated." (There is also the issue that being called "overrated" is a viewed as a negative, when in fact it simply implies poor judgment by "raters." ) But people have different opinions on where people rate to begin with.

For example:
Derek Jeter's name often gets brought up in this discussion. Now if you view Jeter as one of the best all-around shortstops in baseball history, give a nod to his 3000+ hits, his leadership ability etc. most would probably agree. If you tried saying he compares to guys like Ruth, Gehrig or DiMaggio, some would argue he's overrated.

mjbuchanan80

May 16, 2011
Kansas City
I define overrated as someone who gets a ton of attention and hype, but has not lived up to it.

Some may say Josh Hamilton. Sure he got tons of money, but it's no surprise that he's not what he used to be anymore. Then there are the players that people think highly of, that just haven't gotten it done, but may figure it out someday - Jason Heyward, Eric Hosmer, Mike Moustakas, Dustin Ackley.

I honestly can't think of anyone that is truely "overrated"

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
I think if you base it solely on pay then it is easy to find these guys.

Roy Halladay
Alex Rodriguez
Albert Pujols
Josh Hamilton

BravoDawg47

May 23, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Obviously as a Braves fan I feel Jason Heyward is overrated as are both the Upton brothers at times. As much as I pull for them and want them to succeed their streaky play and inability to adapt are extremely frustrating.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
TO BE READ IN THE THE VOICE OF DAVE CHAPELLE'S "DYLAN"

Think about it. Who are the five most overrated players of all time? Jeter, Jeter, Jeter, Jeter, and Jeter. Because he spits hot fire!

The issue with a thread like this is that it presupposes that the players are "rated" which would then allow people to decide if they were "overrated." (There is also the issue that being called "overrated" is a viewed as a negative, when in fact it simply implies poor judgment by "raters." ) But people have different opinions on where people rate to begin with.

For example:
Derek Jeter's name often gets brought up in this discussion. Now if you view Jeter as one of the best all-around shortstops in baseball history, give a nod to his 3000+ hits, his leadership ability etc. most would probably agree. If you tried saying he compares to guys like Ruth, Gehrig or DiMaggio, some would argue he's overrated.

Great post!

I always love to bring up Jeter when I'm feeling argumentative for argument's sake. There is nothing like a good "Jeter is overrated" post, and I like it for all of the reasons you have posted here.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
I will probably get attacked for this, but Nolan Ryan. Yes he deserves to be the Hall and he was one of the best pitchers of his time, however he is not a Top 5 pitcher of all time, and far too many people view him that way.

Another couple Mickey Mantle and Joe Dimaggio. Yes both great but again they get ranked my many over or the same with the likes of Ted Willaims and Stan Musial and they do not belong with them

Basically you can be great and be overrated also

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
Dimaggio does not belong in the same group as Ruth or Gehrig

For example:

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Der-ek Jet-ah! *clap, clap, clapclap, clap* Der-ek Jet-ah! *clap, clap, clapclap, clap*

A lot of people are going to be butthurt, but it's so damn true. Yes, Jesus Jeter is a great offensive SS and a first ballot HOFer. Anyone who truly believes he is good defensively and deserves any of those GG Awards is delusional. His name and the XXXXing pinstripes cloud people's true opinion. If he played for the Royals, plenty of his defenders would be his biggest detractors. That's fact.

A lot of his defenders love to use Bill James, sabremetrics, WAR, and all of that to defend Baseball Christ. However, when it's brought up that James and a team of people watched EVERY play and deemed his Holiness the worst fielder in baseball, they lost their XXXX and claimed Bill James a quack. I love it!

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
I will probably get attacked for this, but Nolan Ryan. Yes he deserves to be the Hall and he was one of the best pitchers of his time, however he is not a Top 5 pitcher of all time, and far too many people view him that way.

Another couple Mickey Mantle and Joe Dimaggio. Yes both great but again they get ranked my many over or the same with the likes of Ted Willaims and Stan Musial and they do not belong with them

Basically you can be great and be overrated also

DiMaggio was every bit as good of a hitter as Williams and Musial and a much better defender, only problem was that he didnt play for 20 years.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Der-ek Jet-ah! *clap, clap, clapclap, clap* Der-ek Jet-ah! *clap, clap, clapclap, clap*

A lot of people are going to be butthurt, but it's so damn true. Yes, Jesus Jeter is a great offensive SS and a first ballot HOFer. Anyone who truly believes he is good defensively and deserves any of those GG Awards is delusional. His name and the XXXXing pinstripes cloud people's true opinion. If he played for the Royals, plenty of his defenders would be his biggest detractors. That's fact.

A lot of his defenders love to use Bill James, sabremetrics, WAR, and all of that to defend Baseball Christ. However, when it's brought up that James and a team of people watched EVERY play and deemed his Holiness the worst fielder in baseball, they lost their XXXX and claimed Bill James a quack. I love it!
Jeter was an above average SS and not nearly as bad as the sabermetrics guys say he was.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
DiMaggio was every bit as good of a hitter as Williams and Musial and a much better defender, only problem was that he didnt play for 20 years.
Yeah, I don't think many would argue Ted or Musial weren't top 5 hitters all time, but neither were even average defensively. Compare that with the at least average defenders at a premium CF position and the argument is fair that they are on similar footing in terms of greatness. You can't call all time greats like all of these guys overrated. Even Nolan. No, probably not top 5 all time, but that many Ks, years, no hitters, and punches to Ventura's face make him not overrated.

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
Yeah, I don't think many would argue Ted or Musial weren't top 5 hitters all time, but neither were even average defensively. Compare that with the at least average defenders at a premium CF position and the argument is fair that they are on similar footing in terms of greatness. You can't call all time greats like all of these guys overrated. Even Nolan. No, probably not top 5 all time, but that many Ks, years, no hitters, and punches to Ventura's face make him not overrated.

Lol

Looking for Alex Rodriguez Cards, let me know!

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States

I dont really need anything you listed in paragraph two when you said what you said in paragraph one. When your company for best players at your position can be counted on one hand with fingers to spare, you arent overrated.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Most of you don't understand what overrated means.

Ryan Howard is not overrated. That would mean most people think he's still one of the greatest sluggers in baseball.
No one thinks that.

Someone wrote Joba Chamberlain? He hasn't been hyped in years. No one thinks he's overrated now.

An overrated player would be guys like the Upton brothers, who have never lived up to their potential, but are still considered superstars for some reason.

Or good players like Zach Greinke, and Jayson Werth, who had a couple of good seasons, then get massive contracts like they're 1st ballot Hall of Famers.

Members online

Latest posts