Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Thoughts on starting rotation for the Giants vs. Phillies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fengzhang

Aug 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
The Phillies are clearly better than the Giants. And I say that as a Giants fan. The pitching is essentially a wash while the Phillies have better hitting.

The fact remains, it doesn't matter who the Giants start in what game, they still need to hit. At this point, there's probably not much of a drop off b/w Lincecum and Cain/Sanchez, if any. Whether the Giants win or not will be predicated by their hitting. Even as they have won in September and October, their hitting has been garbage. Those 2-1 games will become 4-3 games and the Giants need to find ways to score 4 runs if they want to win.

dutchj16

Aug 11, 2008
fkw said:
Halladay is 0-2 with a 7.23 ERA against Giants

I like the righty lefty righty lefty thing the Giants did..

We'll see if the "Kids" can whip the "Vets"

Giants can beat any team when they are on, pitching as usual...... and some timely hitting can go a long way.

Over last 6 weeks no one has pitched better than the Giants.

Halladay gives up his share of hits usually.......... "Mr. NoHitter" led the league giving up 231 hits this year BTW.
His strength is he is able to go 9 innings and keep the Phillies close.
Hope he pitches like he did in the year 2000 (2.20 WHIP), that would be great :)

Ought to be a good series.

.......Did I say Halladay is 0-2 with a 7.23 ERA against Giants. :)

Phillies average age: 31.5
Giants average age: 29.4

Not really the "kids" versus the "vets"

Yanksfan

Oct 13, 2010
GiantsSuperCollector said:
Yanksfan said:
bongo870 said:
Phillies:
GP AB R H 2B 3B HR TB RBI BB SO SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS
162 5581 772 1451 290 34 166 2307 736 560 1064 108 21 .260 .332 .413 .745
Giants:
GP AB R H 2B 3B HR TB RBI BB SO SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS
162 5488 697 1411 284 30 162 2241 660 487 1099 55 32 .257 .321 .408 .729

Cool thanks for posting these stats...
So lets see
first off
wins more
losses less
games (same duh) lol
at bats more
runs 75 more
hits 40 more
doubles 6 more
tripples 4 mroe
home runs 4 more
tb 66 more
rbi 70 more
walks 73 more
strike outs 35 less
solen basses 53 more
cs 11 less
BA 3 points better
opb 11 points better
slugging better
ops better

Thought the stats are really close not one did the Giants shine better other than the strike outs and cs. This will be a good match up being our stats are very close to being the same...
The Giants make up for that in pitching, the Giants bullpen is WAAAAYYY better than the Phillies, plus they have a legit #4 starter...
I would love to see the Giants in the World Series. I just really dont see them scoring the runs to beat the Phillies.
They don't need to score that many runs, their pitching is that good...including their bullpen unlike the Phillies bullpen.
Yes, but the Phillies can score runs. And it isnt like the Giants staff is vastly superior to the Phillies. And you are forgetting something about the Phillies, and about Blanton. They have been there before.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
kdailey4315 said:
So you're suggesting the Giants not throw their best pitcher in game one over the fear of losing? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. If you're scared of losing a game then you have no business playing. Maybe the Giants should just forfeit to save the entire teams ego from the devastation that Halladay will bring.
its not the fear of losing its the almost guarantee of winning game 2

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
Yanksfan said:
You pitch your best against their best. The Giants are gonna need to beat Halladay to have any chance in the series. Why would you conceed a game. You are basically saying, we have no shot to beat Halladay if you dont pitch Lincecum against him. What are you saying to your team if you do this? What are you saying to the guy you give the start too? Why is it a foregone conclusion that Halladay will beat Lincecum. In order to beat Halladay, you will need a great start from your pitcher. Lincecum gives them the best chance to beat Halladay. You never conceed games, especially in the playoffs.

i understand this but it was just a thought what if they did win game one with sanchez and still had lincecum for game 2 already up 1-0 i never said they will just give up on game one. I just think it gives them the best shot at going 2-0 and at worst 1-1 with lincecum going game 1 vs halladay i think they have a better shot starting 0-2 and if they are lucky 1-1

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
RL24 said:
Yanksfan said:
You pitch your best against their best. The Giants are gonna need to beat Halladay to have any chance in the series. Why would you conceed a game. You are basically saying, we have no shot to beat Halladay if you dont pitch Lincecum against him. What are you saying to your team if you do this? What are you saying to the guy you give the start too? Why is it a foregone conclusion that Halladay will beat Lincecum. In order to beat Halladay, you will need a great start from your pitcher. Lincecum gives them the best chance to beat Halladay. You never conceed games, especially in the playoffs.

How about the Yankees? Because I was pondering this very thing this morning....

In game 3 they are going to put Pettitte up against Lee. That's just cruel for Pettitte. He's trying to win playoff game #20. Burnett is going to implode on the mound and give up 7 runs in 3 innings. Why not have Burnett do that on the day the Yankees get shut out by Cliff Lee?

thanks i guess im not the only one, i think its just really deep thinking or backwards thinking you could say

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
seitas said:
This is a terribly stupid idea. Why not just skip game one and start Philly off 1-0. And to preface the post with I played all the way through college is even worse. You wouldn't have lasted a practice on any team I ever played on with that mentality. You're a fool to think Timmy doesn't stand a chance.
you are a fool, i never said that they are giving up on game 1 if they pull off game 1 with sanchez and still have lincecum for game 2 it gives them a great shot at starting out 2-0 and if they lose game 1 worst case they split 1-1 they lose game 1 with lincecum they prob start 0-2.

Jan 15, 2009
rum151man said:
seitas said:
This is a terribly stupid idea. Why not just skip game one and start Philly off 1-0. And to preface the post with I played all the way through college is even worse. You wouldn't have lasted a practice on any team I ever played on with that mentality. You're a fool to think Timmy doesn't stand a chance.
you are a fool, i never said that they are giving up on game 1 if they pull off game 1 with sanchez and still have lincecum for game 2 it gives them a great shot at starting out 2-0 and if they lose game 1 worst case they split 1-1 they lose game 1 with lincecum they prob start 0-2.
What do you mean probably start 0-2? Sanchez has been clutch and downright, the Giants best pitcher in the past month. Plus, coming out of Philly tied 1-1 makes it a 5 game series with 3 at AT&T park, they could clinch it at HOME!

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
rum151man said:
seitas said:
What do you mean probably start 0-2? Sanchez has been clutch and downright, the Giants best pitcher in the past month. Plus, coming out of Philly tied 1-1 makes it a 5 game series with 3 at AT&T park, they could clinch it at HOME!

ok they have a better chance going 0-2 if lince loses game one than if he were to pitch game 2 i just think they have the best shot starting 2-0 with lincecum pitching game 2 and to me worst case 1-1

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
we should have known from the start this guy has no idea what he is talking about. I'm done feeding it.

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
Lars said:
Lincecum, Cain and Sanchez are about as good as Halladay, Oswalt and Hamels - the key for the Giants having any chance in the NLCS is for their bats to heat up and hopefully score enough runs.

This is the most accurate post in a thread filled with idiocy and rhetoric.

Yanksfan

Oct 13, 2010
rum151man said:
kdailey4315 said:
So you're suggesting the Giants not throw their best pitcher in game one over the fear of losing? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. If you're scared of losing a game then you have no business playing. Maybe the Giants should just forfeit to save the entire teams ego from the devastation that Halladay will bring.
its not the fear of losing its the almost guarantee of winning game 2
There are no garountees. Thats why you put your best against their best.

Yanksfan

Oct 13, 2010
rum151man said:
RL24 said:
Yanksfan said:

How about the Yankees? Because I was pondering this very thing this morning....

In game 3 they are going to put Pettitte up against Lee. That's just cruel for Pettitte. He's trying to win playoff game #20. Burnett is going to implode on the mound and give up 7 runs in 3 innings. Why not have Burnett do that on the day the Yankees get shut out by Cliff Lee?

thanks i guess im not the only one, i think its just really deep thinking or backwards thinking you could say
If you pitch Burnette against Lee, you are screwing up the rotation for the rest of the series. All the starters afterwards are pitching on short rest bc you arent gonna have Burentte pitch twice in the series. Why would you screw up the rotation for the rest of the series. Why is it a foregone conclusion that the Yankees will lose against Lee. Lets not forget Pettites track record in the playoffs.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
seitas said:
we should have known from the start this guy has no idea what he is talking about. I'm done feeding it.

your right i have no idea what im talking about, ive only been playing and around baseball my whole life ive played and coached college baseball. it was a simple thought and question if anyone ever thought about this. everyone seems to think i said they are giving up on game one which i never said, i just said i think pitching lincecum game 2 gives them the best chance to go 2-0 in my opinion, its called strategy and i guess most of you guys cant think outside the box.

Yanksfan

Oct 13, 2010
I totally understand your argument. And I dont think you are clueless for saying it. I just happen to believe that they have a better chance at going 2-0 with Lincecum pitching game 1. Most likely, they are going to need a great outing from their starter in game 1. Lincecum is there ace and gives them the best chance to win. Why would you want to give the Phillies the advantage in game 1?

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Anyone else going to Halladay -vs- Lincecum? Picked up two tickets for my daughters birthday in section 134.

Members online

Latest posts