Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Three Home Runs in a single game since 1920

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Last night, Alex Rodriguez became the 16th player in MLB history to have at least four games where he hit 3 or more home runs. Here is the entire list: http://www.baseball-reference.com/play- ... reit/fyhEm

Sammy Sosa and Johnny Mize are the only players with six such games, and their cumulative totals are pretty interesting. They both never had a four home run game. They both had a total of 30 RBIs in those six games. Neither of them had a hit in any at bat in which they did not hit a home run.

There are a lot of sluggers on this list (obviously), but I find it rather surprising to see Steve Finley's name. In two of his four 3 home run games, all three home runs were solo shots. Barry Bonds and Sammy Sosa both had two 3 home run games where all the home runs were solo shots as well.

Lou Gehrig had a sacrifice (not a sacrifice fly, a sacrifice BUNT) in a 3 home run game. I find that staggering. The box score doesn't have a play by play, but the Yankees had a 9-0 lead after the top of the 2nd inning before allowing the A's to come back and tie the score 12-12 in the bottom of the sixth inning. The Yankees would go on to win that game 20-13.

Of Dave Kingman's five 3 home run games, he had 8 RBIs in three of them. He is one of only three players to have three 8 RBI games in a career. The others are Lou Gehrig and Jimmie Foxx. Teams with a player with 8 or more RBIs in a game are 122-4. One of the four losses is Lou Gehrig. Jason Bay is the last player to have 8 RBIs in a game in a losing effort (way to go Pirates). Bay only hit two home runs in that game, by the way.

The only other player to have even two games with 3 home runs and 8 RBIs is Nomar Garciaparra. There are 40 other players who have hit 3 HRs with 8 RBIs in a game, each doing it just once.

Mike Cameron had one career 3 home run game. Of course, it was a FOUR home run game, and they were all solo shots.

David

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I was fortunate enough to see Sammy Sosa hit three homers in a game a few years back (one of his three solo shot games). I believe Griffey had two homers that game as well.

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
Andruw Jones has two 3 HR games, I doubt he will get enough playing time in the upcoming years to have 2 more 3 HR games.

Interesting thread however!

Members online

Latest posts