Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Todd Helton Hits Number 2,500!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ashburn Alley

Aug 10, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
...thanks for sharing!! His 9-10 year run was as good as it gets. Will that be enough for the Hall? Will make for a great debate given the "era," being a position player not a pitcher, his home park and the fact he'll not have 400 HRs or 3000 hits (and I know those are not automatics anymore).

My gut says Veterans Committee. Between injuries late in his career, the era he played in, and the Coors factor, I don't see him getting enough votes to get in.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Helluva player, my favorite Rockie in the history of the team by far. Brandon Phillips was really confused (he got Helton out easy) but it seemed that Ump wanted to have some kind of milestone to remember- calling Helton's 2,500 hit safe.

Helton could have been called out at second and still had the milestone so if the ump failed on the call at second, it was the ump's error and not wanting to preserve a milestone.

ROOT put up an interesting graphic - Helton is now top 100 all-time in many offense categories and to give it a wow factor, they footnoted on the graphic that almost 18,000 players have played in at least one MLB game all-time.

I think he's HOF worthy (not first ballot) but then again I've followed his whole career with one of the two regional teams so I may have some regional bias (while east coasters have ZZZZZ'ed through his career). ;)

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
Helton could have been called out at second and still had the milestone so if the ump failed on the call at second, it was the ump's error and not wanting to preserve a milestone.

ROOT put up an interesting graphic - Helton is now top 100 all-time in many offense categories and to give it a wow factor, they footnoted on the graphic that almost 18,000 players have played in at least one MLB game all-time.

I think he's HOF worthy (not first ballot) but then again I've followed his whole career with one of the two regional teams so I may have some regional bias (while east coasters have ZZZZZ'ed through his career). ;)

You read my statement wrong. Or i wrote it wrong, I won't get into semantics. I meant that HE was the one who wanted to make the memory of making the "safe" call on helton's 2,500th....you know the ump knew helton had 2,499.

heavy_hitter

Jun 26, 2009
06_helton_6of6.png

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Even more impressive, Helton ranks all-time:

17th in Doubles
20th in OPS
24th in On-Base %
36th in Slugging %
37th in Walks
38th in Extra Base Hits

Helton ranks higher than a large percentage of Hall of Famers, including several at his position of first base.
And he didn't extend his career by playing DH.
He's been playing hurt for years.
To me, he's a Hall of Famer.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
He has also been a brilliant defensive first baseman, something that most who don't watch the Rockies can appreciate. Yes, he won three Gold Gloves, but he won them when he did (and only when he did) because they are awarded to first basemen seemingly largely based on offensive statistics. They do not have a stat for errors saved, but Helton digs out throws in the dirt better than anyone I've seen, and that is a large reason for the solid overall defense that Colorado has played in the last 7-8 years.

Ask Tulo and the revolving door of third basemen how well Helton plays his position.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Helton was as good a hitter as you could watch during his prime.
He still has a great eye and makes pitchers work. A classic Helton AB has him fouling off 8 pitches with a full count before walking. Just an old school hitter taking a working man's approach.

i know I'm a homer, but this is in my "future HOF" bucket

Scan261.jpg

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
For players who I've known for their whole career I tend to combine stats with how the player was viewed while they played. For me Helton was in the discussion of the best hitters of the game for a really long time, and in my book I think he warrants real HOF consideration.

On thing to note in looking at splits, quite a few players hit better at home than they do on the road, so if one wants to check the numbers they should look at what league average home/away splits are, not simply looking at his splits.

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
I think he deserves the HoF. He did way more than any MVP or Silver Slugger Award could show.

When I think of modern studs at 1B I think JT Snow, Mark McGwire, and Todd Helton

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
I think he deserves the HoF. He did way more than any MVP or Silver Slugger Award could show.

When I think of modern studs at 1B I think JT Snow, Mark McGwire, and Todd Helton

I am going to question the first one on that list, though everyone is entitled to good memories of a favorite player on the home town team. :)

I'll also add in passing that Helton was a favorite of mine for fantasy baseball.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using the FCB mobile app.

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
Its simple. Not only was he the Giants 1B during my formidable years, he won 6 straight golden gloves before his injury

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Its simple. Not only was he the Giants 1B during my formidable years, he won 6 straight golden gloves before his injury

LOL. I don't think him being a player in your "Formative" years qualifies him to be in the same breath as the other two, gold gloves or not. J.T. Snow was never an all star, never had more than 157 hits in a season, never hit 30 HR's.

Latest posts