Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps Auto'ed Gold Infused Baseball Redemption - SHOCKING UPDATE!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
[MENTION=2738]uniquebaseballcards[/MENTION] - So if Topps would of sent these guys $650 worth of toilet paper, you would still argue they matched "value"? I mean at some point you're going to have to stop backing Topps regarding this promotional screw up because they clearly messed up... they manipulated the market... and when given the opportunity to make it right, they just too a short-cut and clearly ripped off their customer base and/or those LUCKY people to pull their product release HIT promotion

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
ebay is a too easily manipulated market to be the end-all-be-all. All it takes is a few shill bids to dishonestly set a "market value". Like that ball that sold for $3,400. What IF that was a market manipulation? No one knows. I'm not saying it is and it most likely isn't, but that is why ebay isn't a reliable market indicator when dealing with such a volatile item. For more items with many sales, yes, it's a good market indicator, but for items like this I don't think it is. That said, Topps should take the average ebay sale (excluding outliers) and use that as a starting point for perceived value. That would be logical.

I completely agree, that would be the case with any market, eliminate the outliners and average the rest to find the fair market value. Any market can be manipulated, heck this thread is about the possibility that Topps manipulated the market be offering the promotion to sell baseball cards, despite the fact they hadn't secured the promotional items.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I'll copy/paste my post from earlier because I think you can comment on it...

What if we get off the "value" discussion and just talk about market manipulation and how regardless of "value", someone was promised a very unique item and instead got something very common and cheap... when said company putting out the promotion has the means to make it right or make the situation much better.

This is like buying a promotional ticket for a said item and instead getting something totally different, in a larger quantity but only because it was a cheaper product and you needed more of it to make up the difference... just is terrible way to run a business and try and make the situation right.

Unique item? You're still acting as though they were giving away a Babe Ruth baseball... but these autos aren't tough to get. This just from ebay alone:

Hank Aaron autograph - 656 completed items
Willie Mays Autograph - 453 completed items

Ken Griffey Jr Autograph - 1268 completed items

These autos on a $149 baseball.

You've already discussed all there is to discuss here.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Unique item? You're still acting as though they were giving away a Babe Ruth baseball... but these autos aren't tough to get. This just from ebay alone:

Hank Aaron autograph - 656 completed items
Willie Mays Autograph - 453 completed items

Ken Griffey Jr Autograph - 1268 completed items

These autos on a $149 baseball.

You've already discussed all there is to discuss here.

Yes, unique item! = a gold infused baseball signed by all three and essentially #/20

Make sense or is that just a common item that is worthless? I guess you could pull some completed items that have ANYTHING similar to do with what I've said in bold above.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Topps uses Beckett value, not production cost.

Beckett gets "book value" by looking at eBay. I don't know if they paid attention to what this redemption has sold for, but if they did, they made a blurb about it.

So as usual, you're wrong

There are real, gold-infused auto baseballs signed by these three guys on ebay? Huh... where?

As usual, you're out of your depth here.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Yes, unique item! = a gold infused baseball signed by all three and essentially #/20

Make sense or is that just a common item that is worthless? I guess you could pull some completed items that have ANYTHING similar to do with what I've said in bold above.

Sure, but you should've checked this out yourself...

On ebay alone here are some auctions that show Mays and Aaron autos (1 or 2 with Griffey) ranging from $99 - ~$550 with most about $250... this doesn't include items that include all these players and a bunch of others and there are TONS of these. Again this is ebay ONLY.

Ball
Ball
Ball
Ball
Ball
Ball
Bat
Pic
Ball
Separate Balls
Separate Balls
Pic

Now if you start complaining about these not being 'gold infused' or whatever that's absurd.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
The funniest part of this thread was watching someone try to seriously argue that a Topps-released, "gold-infused" baseball signed by Willie Mays, Hank Aaron and Ken Griffey Jr. limited to 20 that people already paid over $2,000 for is worth what 3 random baseballs signed by the three players, along with the price of the baseball, are worth. lol

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
@uniquebaseballcards - So if Topps would of sent these guys $650 worth of toilet paper, you would still argue they matched "value"? I mean at some point you're going to have to stop backing Topps regarding this promotional screw up because they clearly messed up... they manipulated the market... and when given the opportunity to make it right, they just too a short-cut and clearly ripped off their customer base and/or those LUCKY people to pull their product release HIT promotion

Instead of $650 worth of toilet paper, what if they sent $650 paper dollars?

At some point you're going to have to stop pretending that an unfulfilled redemption is anything new... and that this is how our hobby has always operated.

Further, you haven't mentioned what the back of the redemption said... did you? Its the responsibility of someone who potentially would buy the redemption to understand the terms of the promotion prior to buying it or seeking it out in packs.

Last thing, it seems safe to assume you weren't interested in procuring one of these balls in the first place and want to bash the hobby here - yes the hobby because all major manufacturers act the same way, not just Topps. Do you think it good to speak negatively about the hobby? If you feel so negatively, why stay?

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
The funniest part of this thread was watching someone try to seriously argue that a Topps-released, "gold-infused" baseball signed by Willie Mays, Hank Aaron and Ken Griffey Jr. limited to 20 that people already paid over $2,000 for is worth what 3 random baseballs signed by the three players, along with the price of the baseball, are worth. lol

Typically single-signed baseballs are more expensive than multi-signed balls...

And if you chose to read for a change, this was in response to a query looking for auctions that were auctions anything near the same as a tri-signed ball by these three players...

Members online

Latest posts