Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps redemption replacement for a 1/1 bat knob, wish me luck haha

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
Got another email unexpectedly this morning:

hHGD0gb.jpg

I'm not sure how I feel. Kinda want to ask for 2x Bryant instead of the Abreu. Any opinions?

**and I just realized those cards were not around in 2013 LOL**

Looks like the Abreu sells for <$90 and Bryants are getting $375-400...

Unless you are looking just to flip these, my issue is different. They are offering a rookie and a prospect as a replacement for a HOF player 1/1. If you are going to flip, then I agree w/ what the others have said on value. If you are going to hold, then this does not feel right at all to me.

The Collector

Feb 11, 2014
California
Unless you are looking just to flip these, my issue is different. They are offering a rookie and a prospect as a replacement for a HOF player 1/1. If you are going to flip, then I agree w/ what the others have said on value. If you are going to hold, then this does not feel right at all to me.

Great point.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Don't take it. Hell NO, THEY HAVE HIGH VALUE hof'ers refuse them prospects.
hold out for one card not two. good luck

The Collector

Feb 11, 2014
California
This is the reply I just sent:

"I appreciate the offer but would be primarily interested in something from Hall of Fame players (I think a HOFer 1/1 bat knob is a pretty rare). Not trying to be greedy, just hoping to get something more applicable to my collection. Let me know if you have anything like that laying around, if not we'll discuss the Bryant/Abreu. Thanks again I really appreciate all your efforts."

We'll see. This is more stressful than it should be haha.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I think they're low-balling you with that offer, not to mention the HOF vs prospect angle. Offering to replace that kind of 1 of 1 is especially crap no matter who they offer. The real point to make with them is that they've had subsequent releases of the item without honoring the previous and that you're talking to council about your options. They won't have another 1 of 1 around of similar value for sure, so they need to go above and beyond that in replacement value.

I'm seriously wondering when someone will organize a class action lawsuit about the redemption process and other Topps issues.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I usually do not get into these threads as the whole replacement thing is such a crap shoot anyway but that offer they gave you is just nuts. I would hold out for something so much better. You have them over the barrel and can afford to press them to give you something better not vice versa.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
It depends what type of collector you are... for me... it is sad but I hardly even know who those two players are lol! I mean I personally would want something HOF or '90s players or Albert Belle if it were me replacing an Albert Belle 1/1 like that... but again it is because I don't collect modern cards or graded cards or players from today's game RCs, etc.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
They are the ones making the cards. $600 in value to them is not like $600 in value to us, especially as a replacement for a really special 1/1. Ask them to tell you what 1/1 bat knobs, barrels, whatever you like they have in stock, then tell them which ones you want, "value" be damned. Or take $600 in cash, for which they are buying the right not to have you post all over the internet how crappy an ordeal this has been.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Tell them If your sending me prospects I would need to sell them in order to buy a reasonable replacement comparative to my original card. A kris Bryant 9.5 is a good start a non rc abreu is not. Take two kris bryants and have a nice day

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I don't see where it says who graded them. He's probably just looking at them, or assuming without looking, they're 9.5s.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
They are so full of s*** ask for a superstar 1/1. im not into prospects but those cards are time sensitive. Might go down in value before you get them.

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
Reading this thread feels like watching the movie Titanic- you know just how it is going to go down but you still watch it happen anyway... I really do hope that Topps does right by you and things turn out well and you get something similar or better then the card you paid for to add to your collection. At this rate though it would worry me their next offer might be a BGS 9.5 1986 Donruss Jose Canseco! Ha ha. Good grief why do they have BGS 9.5 cards laying around to give out!? Something smells bad...

BigAppleJak

Aug 8, 2008
I think it's a little strange that Topps is offering graded cards.
It seems to be some type of conflict of interest for them to be grading things.

Members online