Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps Sues Leaf Over "Best Of" Product!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
sportscardtheory said:
uniquebaseballcards said:
sportscardtheory said:
sportscardtheory said:
[quote="uniquebaseballcards":325bs5ps][quote="sportscardtheory":325bs5ps]I would love to see Topps' argument as to why this affects their bottom line. Are they still selling 1952 packs/boxes/cases. lol What damages could they possibly seek when all these products have been out of their hands for years to decades. FAIL.

Easy. When people are buying Leaf stuff they're not buying new Topps stuff.

Given Topps' special license with Mantle et al shown on the sell sheet it actually makes sense for them to pursue this.

No way they can prove damages. That's a HUGE reach simply stating that "people will have less money to buy our products". lol They could never prove that.

I wasn't aware you had a legal education :? I'd suggest waiting for the case to go to court before jumping to conclusions, even though it will probably be settled. Not all damages are monetary.

Its smart for Topps to address this now before more sell sheets are used by competitors in this fashion.

I wasn't aware that one had to have schooling in any subject to discuss it. :? :?

Only to discuss it intelligently.[/quote:325bs5ps]

Did you go to law school?[/quote:325bs5ps]

Sure did.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
sportscardtheory said:
sportscardtheory said:
[quote="sportscardtheory":si9rmgqc][quote="uniquebaseballcards":si9rmgqc][quote="sportscardtheory":si9rmgqc]I would love to see Topps' argument as to why this affects their bottom line. Are they still selling 1952 packs/boxes/cases. lol What damages could they possibly seek when all these products have been out of their hands for years to decades. FAIL.

Given Topps' special license with Mantle et al shown on the sell sheet it actually makes sense for them to pursue this.

No way they can prove damages. That's a HUGE reach simply stating that "people will have less money to buy our products". lol They could never prove that.

I wasn't aware you had a legal education :? I'd suggest waiting for the case to go to court before jumping to conclusions, even though it will probably be settled. Not all damages are monetary.

Its smart for Topps to address this now before more sell sheets are used by competitors in this fashion.

I wasn't aware that one had to have schooling in any subject to discuss it. :? :?

Only to discuss it intelligently.[/quote:si9rmgqc]

Did you go to law school?[/quote:si9rmgqc]

Sure did.[/quote:si9rmgqc]

So why not explain to me why you disagree instead of being a smarmy ****** about it.

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008
sportscardtheory said:
Halonut said:
sportscardtheory said:
So what is the difference with grading card companies using graded Topps cards on their advertising. I see it all the time. I see graded Topps cards on all types of hobby-related advertising.

Apples to Oranges there...card grading companies do nothing but help fuel the demand for Topps' products. The price increase which is seen by slabbing high grade cards leads to more people busting their products.

I don't think it's apples to oranges at all. It's the same thing. A company using pictures of Topps' cards to sell a product not involved with Topps. How is it any different when the intent of either company is to make money without giving any to Topps.

Simple, take Bryce Harper's Bowman Auto for example...

Raw-$250+
BGS 9.5/10 Auto-$500+

Higher realized values on the secondary market are going to lead to more people cracking their product in hopes of pulling a high grade card. As I said before, Leaf is in direct competition with Topps...thus the proceeds from such a product are added to their competitors revenue stream which in turn could cut into their market share.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Highway to the hall of shame

[youtube:38jrswm5]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPYF2p-cGx8[/youtube:38jrswm5]

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
sportscardtheory said:
sportscardtheory said:
sportscardtheory said:
[quote="uniquebaseballcards":ewixregb][quote="sportscardtheory":ewixregb][quote="uniquebaseballcards":ewixregb][quote="sportscardtheory":ewixregb]I would love to see Topps' argument as to why this affects their bottom line. Are they still selling 1952 packs/boxes/cases. lol What damages could they possibly seek when all these products have been out of their hands for years to decades. FAIL.

Only to discuss it intelligently.[/quote:ewixregb]

Did you go to law school?[/quote:ewixregb]

Sure did.[/quote:ewixregb]

So why not explain to me why you disagree instead of being a smarmy ****** about it.[/quote:ewixregb]

Its just easier for you to get the bug out of your a$$ and not to post another 100 times in this thread.

Its stupid to get all worked up over something you know nothing about. Its between Leaf and Topps, they know the particulars.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Its just easier for you to get the bug out of your a$$ and not to post another 100 times in this thread.

Its stupid to get all worked up over something you know nothing about. Its between Leaf and Topps, they know the particulars.

Why do you care if people discuss this matter. It's a hobby related discussion. Since when do people on a message board have to be schooled in any given subject before being allowed to discuss it. Did you go to baseball card school? No, then GTF out of here. lol I'm saying that it would be virtually impossible for Topps to prove damages. You say otherwise and keep stressing that we need to wait until the case is over. What a worthless sentiment to experience on a freaking message board.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
TwinGnats said:
You're right Metal was a great concept that has never been done bef...

Topps does have a case, and I for one hope they win. Those other people that are using their trademarks to repackage stuff could be sued but aren't due to how small of a market share they would be attempting to take.

Leaf on the other hand is a manufactuer (kind of) and is a direct competitor stealing topps trademarks. All this super limited repackaged stuff, they're operating a lottery/raffle and the attorney general should be cracking down on them.
Do you also take jabs at Topps for putting out Chrome products, a concept already done by another company before they put out their first chrome product?

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
and in the end, the lawyers will get all the money.
this is the worst part about the whole thing.
Topps has initiated a complaint that will require
them and leaf to pay lawyers a big chunk of money.
just sad.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
As I have said since the beginning of BG's forray into sports cards all of you are stupid for spending your money on this generic bush league product.

I hope this sends you out of business.

Junior Griffey

Aug 12, 2008
Ottawa IL
Have you ever met Brian, or talked to Brian? Topps has no case here. If you'd check out the facts before spouting your opinion based on your hatred for Brian, maybe you'd see things differently. Haters gon' hate though. Good luck with your marriage. You're so insecure it'll last a month. She's probably cheating on you already.

Sam Banks said:
As I have said since the beginning of BG's forray into sports cards all of you are stupid for spending your money on this generic bush league product.

I hope this sends you out of business .

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
Junior Griffey said:
Have you ever met Brian, or talked to Brian? Topps has no case here. If you'd check out the facts before spouting your opinion based on your hatred for Brian, maybe you'd see things differently. Haters gon' hate though. Good luck with your marriage. You're so insecure it'll last a month. She's probably cheating on you already.

[quote="Sam Banks":ihklz4az]As I have said since the beginning of BG's forray into sports cards all of you are stupid for spending your money on this generic bush league product.

I hope this sends you out of busines.
[/quote:ihklz4az]

youre starting to look like Sarah Jessica Parker... on the inside. :|

of course Topps has the right to bring it court, just like any other company thats product gets used without permission. It doesnt have to be a LOCK to bring something to court. let the court sort it out.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Junior Griffey said:

[quote="Sam Banks":yakm3c5e]As I have said since the beginning of BG's forray into sports cards all of you are stupid for spending your money on this generic bush league product.

I hope this sends you out of business.
[/quote:yakm3c5e]

Wow. I'm impressed.

EDIT

Junior Griffey

Aug 12, 2008
Ottawa IL
I've never had a problem with you either but I don't get the hatred towards BG. I've only talked to him a few times and have a positive opinion of him. From what I've seen, he gives a shat about the average collector. That's not something I can say about any other manufacturer. It bugs me when I see people trash him for no reason.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Junior Griffey said:
I've never had a problem with you either but I don't get the hatred towards BG. I've only talked to him a few times and have a positive opinion of him. From what I've seen, he gives a shat about the average collector. That's not something I can say about any other manufacturer. It bugs me when I see people trash him for no reason.

He produces an incredibly ****** product. That's my problem. Have you seen his MMA line? What a complete joke. Generic tribal tattoo graphics much?

People praise him for his customer service and interaction, but they fail to realize if he didn't release such a crappy product, he wouldn't even have to do much of that.

Junior Griffey

Aug 12, 2008
Ottawa IL
All I know of BG is benchwarmers stuff that I have never lost money on, and pop century. I apologize for my earlier comment towards you. I wish your marriage the best even if you are a Cardinals fan. :)

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Jaypers said:
matchpenalty said:
We get all these good lawsuit threads now with Leaf vs Topps and Blowout Cards suing Upper Deck. But no JeffN resident FCB lawyer to be found to get his take on any of it.

I sent him a link to this thread. Doesn't he usually post in the AM?

I've only read through page 3, so maybe a brilliant legal mind has come up with a thought... and I haven't read the complaint either, but if Topps is suing for usage of the images on the sell sheet - I don't get it.

It's like a used car dealer, with no affiliation to Ford or Toyota or Nissan, selling and avertising used Fords, Toyotas, and Nissans...

I'm going to delve a little deeper into this and see if there's something I'm missing. My initial, first impression, is that Topps is trying to put a li'l guy (and Brian ain't no li'l guy :) ) out of business via lawsuits/defense costs. Someone brought up the lottery/grab bag aspect, and once Brian and I hashed that out,with the first rookie retro and he modified his product based on our debate, he's modified all of his products so that there is some sort of collectable set.

Hey, I've put a lot of time into forming Razor/Leaf products so that they're street legal. I don't wanna see Topps come around and screw it up....

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
What this lawsuit is say is that Topps finds Leaf as a viable threat in the industry. Topps may have a case but I really don't think it will go far.

Crash Davis

Aug 19, 2008
The point here is that Leaf is selling these Topps cards pictured on the sell sheet in the same fashion that Topps sells their own brands of trading cards. If Leaf was selling each individual card pictured for a set price, there wouldn't be an issue. Leaf is promoting their product based upon pictures of Topps and Upper Deck trading cards purportedly contained within their packages, without permission from Topps and Upper Decl to do so. That's the entire premise of the product. If Leaf put previously released Razor autographs on the sell sheet instead of the 52 Mantle or the Bowman Chrome Pujols do you think anybody would buy the product? Of course not. That is the issue here. It's completely different from a used card dealer advertising an old Nissan. That used car dealer doesn't have his own brand of cars which he sells new from the factory. But Leaf has its own proprietary brands of trading cards. What I find funny is just how much people with no legal education can absolutely state that Topps has no case. Now, I'm no attorney so I will make no prediction as to how this will turn out, but I will say that most of the people who posted on this thread who have defended Leaf seem to have done so because they either like Brian or hate Topps. I happen to have no opinion of Brian and don't hate Topps. I applaud Brian for engaging collector on these boards when he really doesn't have to.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts