Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vintage and hall of fame patches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Just as a reminder, Josh Gibson "game model" bats were used and often referred to as "Game used" when they were two VERY different things.

Correct.. But since 2002 , has either the Ruth or the Jackie been seen or disputed. I tried looking for both through auction sales and didn't see either style. I'm curious what the background on either is. I've seen "Model" on gamers , but Style on both, and being 30-40 years apart of playing days seems a lil weird , but that doesn't mean they're not legit , I just don't see anything yet. Tony is decades ahead of me/most in any research so maybe he knows ?

Ryan

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
Correct.. But since 2002 , has either the Ruth or the Jackie been seen or disputed. I tried looking for both through auction sales and didn't see either style. I'm curious what the background on either is. I've seen "Model" on gamers , but Style on both, and being 30-40 years apart of playing days seems a lil weird , but that doesn't mean they're not legit , I just don't see anything yet. Tony is decades ahead of me/most in any research so maybe he knows ?

Ryan

I just did a quick Google search and can't find anything lime it? Until I know what it is I don't think I would buy

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
I have always been skeptical that so many vintage gamers have been cut up. How many Ruth barrel plates have there been since 2001? DLP publicized the items they bought to cut but that number is really slim.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Here is one thing I was going to mention about ITG items. If they wanted to drive interest and make their items collectible, a small company like themselves should have been promoting exactly what the item was the piece in the card is cut from. They shouldn't be hiding anything if they had wanted to gain traction

Ryan

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
Here is one thing I was going to mention about ITG items. If they wanted to drive interest and make their items collectible, a small company like themselves should have been promoting exactly what the item was the piece in the card is cut from. They shouldn't be hiding anything if they had wanted to gain traction

Ryan

One of the things with hits memorabilia I love is that they list what every piece of material they use is from. If you look at my paul molitor posts I have a bunch of molitor hits memorabilia cards. They are from a red wings minor league coaches jersey. I'm just buying the hell out of them. Why can't the big companies do the same?

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I have always been skeptical that so many vintage gamers have been cut up. How many Ruth barrel plates have there been since 2001? DLP publicized the items they bought to cut but that number is really slim.

My guess is at least 9 plates/barrels of Ruth. About 4-5 Upper Deck and same for Topps. Not sure DLP had bat barrels ?

I am going to spend some free time at night seeing if I can see any auctions of the full size bats match up with the pieces at all. Anyone know if some if the info is already out there ?

Ryan

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
My guess is at least 9 plates/barrels of Ruth. About 4-5 Upper Deck and same for Topps. Not sure DLP had bat barrels ?

I am going to spend some free time at night seeing if I can see any auctions of the full size bats match up with the pieces at all. Anyone know if some if the info is already out there ?

Ryan

Good luck and please let us know if you find anything.

Btw...pretty sure 2005 Leaf limited lumberjacks had a ruth barrel in it

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
One of the things with hits memorabilia I love is that they list what every piece of material they use is from. If you look at my paul molitor posts I have a bunch of molitor hits memorabilia cards. They are from a red wings minor league coaches jersey. I'm just buying the hell out of them. Why can't the big companies do the same?

Although I wish they added that info on the card, with a few tweaks they are doing things just how I would do and wish others did. There web details are something Topps / UD / Panini should really take note of. If a small company had some resources to score so bigger name or rarer items , and do it well, I don't see why they couldn't have a larger market. I understand its hard to drop $74k on a Musial Jersey and not have to change your whole pricing strategy , but there is a way a small company can find a decent niche IMO.

Ryan

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I started looking for info matching the Ruth Barrels and came across an article about Brad Ziegler...

Here are some if the top cards he owns (at the time). Also mentioned is a 2006 Sterling Cut Auto/Relic Clemente and a 2012 National Treasures Knob of Musial (which he pulled), but I couldn't find images of those 2. Here are the other 4 mentioned.

ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1431065197.433180.jpg
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1431065223.299800.jpg
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1431065337.296070.jpg
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1431065356.862304.jpg

***And I came across a thread of a different site and not sure if they are a member here , but wholly cow on the knob/barrel collection !

ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1431065390.565669.jpg
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1431065423.347116.jpg
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1431065452.207437.jpg
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1431065472.165834.jpg

If you are a member here , I salute ya ! Christensen , I see a few Killers in there, have you tried to obtain them?

Ryan

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
Yes I have! The guy said that he would try and sell them to me. He aparently has a big project going on now, once that is done we will work out a deal.

I have actually done a couple deals with this guy before. He is a good guy! With great barrels and knobs ha

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
Going to go back and post some more cards in my collection. I have been working on this since about 2009 and just recently added the short print eddie Mathews and al kaline. The only other card I need to finish my set is the Carlton Fisk numbered to 10. as you will notice I'm only after the retired guys at the time of the release in 2004

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    387.6 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    393.9 KB · Views: 8

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Between Topps, DLP, and UD 17 Ruth Barrel cards have been produced. The DLP cards are /2 so I will assume 1/2 is Babe and 2/2 is Ruth.

http://www.beckett.com/search/?term=Babe+Ruth+barrel

Wow , 17. When I looked originally I used bat barrel in the search not just barrel so some didn't show up. 17 is quite a lot. I got tired while looking last night but I didn't match 1 yet. I can't find an image of the one UD bought in 1998 of Ruth. It shows an image on the back if the UD Ruth POH card but not enough where I can see the plate part enough. It supposedly came from Mastro , HOS says that image of bat does not match any Mastro listings from 1997-present. I'd love to find some matches and I understand some may be private sales, but with 16-17 bats cut , some had to be on the auction block right ?

Besides Ruth , has anyone matched up anything they own ? Jerseys , bats , etc ? Say the 1938/1939 Gehrig Jersey , has anyone matched the auction sale ? Tony , I think you have some data on items , is there anything you can share that matches items/cards up ?

Ryan

Members online

Latest posts