Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What do I do with my cards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert

Oct 8, 2012
Hi all.

I am in Atlanta and have a general question I can't seem to figure out on my own.

The basics:

I am the victim of this economy and was laid off by a large manufacturing operation after 18 years. I have a family to feed and need cash as soon as feasible without totally screwing myself on value.

I was left a shoe box full of Topps baseball cards from the 60's and 1970 by an uncle 15 years ago. I admire the beauty of the cards and as a coin collector, I understand the passion of collectors. I also understand that being a motivated seller will mean that I need to be prepared to take a bath. My goal is to mitigate the pain from the bath.

The box is full and each card is in a firm protector. The year that I have the most of is 1968. I made a large error and sold some cards on eBay that I should have had graded (Reggie Jackson Rookie, Bench/Koosman 68 RC ect). I got very little money compared to comparable graded cards. At the time, I had enough money to have sent 10 or 20 in for grading but that is no longer the case.

Most of the cards are in pretty good condition Here is a link to some cards I sold. The cards I have left are in similar condition, i.e. some better than others, nothing perfect 10.

http://s1189.photobucket.com/albums/z429/RobertSellsTheRanch/1cards/

I want to sell these cards I have left very soon. I am late on bills and don't want to mess with a currently great credit score. However, I do not have any funds available to send them for grading. The cards I have include many stars and the rest are all semi-stars (is that even a grade? They are cards of players everyone has heard of but are not listed in Beckett)

My questions;

1. If I take them to the Freedom Card retail store today will I get hosed badly?

2. If I take a booth at next weekends card show in Atlanta will i do significantly better than selling them to a retailer?

3. Is there such a thing in your community like partnerships, and would I do better that way? I am defining partnership as someone known and trustworthy that I would mail the cards to and he would send them for grading and split the profits with me after expenses?

4. Am I missing another avenue where I could make a quick sale without getting hosed?

Sadly, not only do I NOT have the funds to have any graded on my dime, I also don't have the time or resources to list them all on eBay raw OR graded. And, I am not even sure that number 3 above would get me cash fast enough to get our basic household bills paid this month.

I realize that I should have included at least a list of all the cards in this post. Optimally, I should have scanned them all. I understand that i am asking a lot of questions without giving enough information. However, I think a lot of you can guess approximately how many cards are in a shoe box and use the information and images provided to get me on the correct path. I am an old man and it would be a monumental task to type up the list and an impossibility to scan them all.

If there is anything else I can answer short of a complete inventory, fire away. Of course, i would love to take them to the Freedom Retail store in Alpharetta tomorrow and be done with it all but I am pretty sure that option is the least desirable of all. I need to be able to live with myself after the transaction!

Thanks to anyone that has read my post and TIA for any advice.

Rob in Atlanta

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Personally, I'd take them in to the retail store and seek their Advice.

Chris Gilmore is the owner and should be able to help you out, either by making a deal (and explaining it thoroughly) or sending you in a better direction...

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
Have a collector examine them. That's a given. Then weigh your options about grading. We do a group grade for PSA so you can avoid the $99 membership fee.
Then sell on Ebay with great descriptions and pictures.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
This is going to make me sound like a complete dick, but...how do you not have the time to list them on ebay?

Wow Charlie really. :lol: of course I'm kidding, since I was thinking that same thing you just asked.

Robert
Like someone said take them over to Chris's shop, and get his expert opinion. And then scan the heck out of the cards and post some photos here. In the transaction baseball section, with prices you would like to get for them.

Exposfan

Mar 16, 2009
Hartland, WI
This is going to make me sound like a complete dick, but...how do you not have the time to list them on ebay?

He is asking for advice, get off your "jump to conclusions mat". He is looking for advice to find out the best way to sell them, not the quickest.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
"And, I am not even sure that number 3 above would get me cash fast enough to get our basic household bills paid this month"

I am not sure ebay would qualify as for fastest, even if doing a 1 day auction you might not get paid for 3 to 7 days.

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
Send them to COMC. Use the Next Day service for the highend items and 1 week for the rest. They'll put your account negative ,so you don't have to front the initial fee's if they see what your selling will cover it. Sell it as 2 seperate PORTs (Ports move quick if priced right). COMC can overnight you a check or paypal you.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
Really without seeing vintage cards in person you can't even begin to make an offer.

Robert

Oct 8, 2012
wolfmanalfredo;180698mo1 said:
I've heard boomo is great to consign with if you want to go that route.
ard.com

Who is boomo?

I know of 3 guys there. Bob the dude always at a front table, Another Guy who offered me an amount that would actually have insulted the guy who walks in front of the Varsity on Spring digging out and eating his own dick cheese, and Frank who has not answered an email from 2 days ago asking if there is a table available.

The questions asking why I do not have time to scan the items is absolutely valid. The answer is that I was looking for a more general idea on direction before doing something that may have been a waste of time.

I am scanning coins nearly 24/7 because I have potential customers for those that I have sold to in the past.

Do any of you guys that are familiar with the Atlanta shows sell at Frank's shows? Do you know if it is sold out? Do you want to sell me a square foot of your space? How about I sit in and give you a % of my sales in exchange for your Carny mouth and undoubtedly endless and vast knowledge you can use to get Rubes to buy me out by Sunday?

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Who is boomo?

I know of 3 guys there. Bob the dude always at a front table, Another Guy who offered me an amount that would actually have insulted the guy who walks in front of the Varsity on Spring digging out and eating his own dick cheese, and Frank who has not answered an email from 2 days ago asking if there is a table available.

The questions asking why I do not have time to scan the items is absolutely valid. The answer is that I was looking for a more general idea on direction before doing something that may have been a waste of time.

I am scanning coins nearly 24/7 because I have potential customers for those that I have sold to in the past.

Do any of you guys that are familiar with the Atlanta shows sell at Frank's shows? Do you know if it is sold out? Do you want to sell me a square foot of your space? How about I sit in and give you a % of my sales in exchange for your Carny mouth and undoubtedly endless and vast knowledge you can use to get Rubes to buy me out by Sunday?

Robert there are coin collectors on here as well. I have seen some of the stuff they picked up. I can't remember who they are though :lol:

cmixer

Aug 9, 2008
The ATL shows will get you nowhere. The table dealers will treat you like 'Pawn Stars' ... the buyers are also sharks. - - finding end buyers are your best money (ebay, comc, here, etc)

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
If you go to the FCB Store, just make sure Gilmore doesn't have his gold chain on w/gel in his hair and a toothpick in his mouth. That ensemble means he's looking to make a fool of someone :)

Members online

Latest posts