Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What does your significant other think of your collecting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I've read posts in which some collectors mentioned their wives searching out cards for them and giving them cards as gifts, which I think is great. It got me thinking about my wife and her view of my collecting. I'd say she has no interest at all but tolerates it, and wishes I could make money through cards. She'd never consider buying me cards as a gift (though I did once find a pack in my Christmas stocking... just once.)

She and her brother collected briefly during the early 90's boom. She bought an 89 UD Griffey from a neighborhood kid for $50 back in 1990, thinking it'd fund her retirement! We still have it. Like so many others she and her bro quit collecting once they realized they couldn't make much money flipping cards at the time.

So what about you guys & gals? Does your significant other collect with you, going to shows and such? Do they think it's a waste of money and wish you'd quit? Or, like me, is your hobby just "tolerated"?

Just curious. :rolleyes:

Sent using the Freedom Card Board mobile app.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
She has no problem with it, or "tolerating" it, and was intrigued by the new "Pin It" feature.

Just like me with her Fashion, crafting, "girl stuff" etc. Plus, I have three girls so me and my son (a Gamer, not a sports guy) are Heavily out-numbered anyway...:lol:

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
I'm lucky I don't find them on the front lawn. She has no interest in the hobby and certainly wouldn't buy a blaster for the heck of it.
Sigh.

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
I don't have a significant other (thank god) but my roommate and best friend thinks its cool and likes to sort and open mail and product with me.

She just doesn't "get it"

69MetsFan

Oct 20, 2008
Panama City, Florida
My wife enjoys busting wax and will even call me from Walmart/Target to see what blasters I'd like hr to get. She'll ask me who to look for, open the packs and put the cards back in them without telling me what she pulled. She enjoys seeing my reaction to a good pull.:D

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
My wife enjoys busting wax and will even call me from Walmart/Target to see what blasters I'd like hr to get. She'll ask me who to look for, open the packs and put the cards back in them without telling me what she pulled. She enjoys seeing my reaction to a good pull.:D

If i ever get married, I'd be like "Honey, I'm going to the grocery store." And then stop at the LCS (literally RIGHT next door) and grab a nice yummy chrome box to bust after dinner ^^

Your wife is a keeper, not many of us can stand "stupid hobbies" let alone offer to spend money on it WITHOUT YOU THERE!!!

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
She is 110% supportive. She knows that its all for our son and hopefully facilitates his love of the Red Sox and the history of the game.

It all works out though because I buy her a lot of the expensive Kitchen stuff she likes along with her other hobby (purses and shoes).

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
My girlfriend enjoys opening the packs with me so I guess she tolerates it lol

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
While my wife is not really interested in cards, she understands that it is a hobby I enjoy.

She listens intently as I show her cards I've recently received, and why I got them.

She has helped me look through binders at shows for cards of my grandfather.

She has bought packs of cards to put in my stocking at Christmas.

And she has, more than once, prevented me from liquidating my collection when we have hit tough times.

Last edited:

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......

.......not going to go there.......:eek: :D

Our almost daily joke is when I ask my wife if I got any mail, she sometimes says "you got a small package."

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
Touche', Scott.;):lol:

If I leave work pretty much when the ending bell rings I can usually catch the Mailman as he's loading the huge apartment mailbox hall. When i receive game used and/or signed bats he thoroughly enjoys telling me, "Oh I got a realllll big package for you today miss."

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
She has no interest, and probably resents it a bit when I'm searching eBay rather than intently watching TV with her, but she allowed me to buy a house that had space specifically for my collection and allows me to display pieces in the house. Every July around the time A&G comes out, she tells me she budgeted some funds for me to buy a couple of boxes...which I never accept, but appreciate that she knows I love Ginter. She also supports my Frank Thomas man love.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
I should also add that before we spend our money on hobbies we make sure that we take care of what's necessary (bills etc).

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
My wife doesn't participate in my hobby, but she knows I like it and supports me doing it. My hobby has managed to finance itself, so it's never gotten in the way of our budgeting.

However, I have liquidated bits of my collection as my focus changed and family needs arose.

Latest posts