Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What is a dream card of yours that you had a chance to acquire but waited too long?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Not a card I missed out on buying but a decision I made that was bad in hindsight...

About 25 years ago I had the opportunity to get Orel Hershiser's autograph. This was before I started collecting a signed 1988 Topps set so I went with this card:

hershiserauto.jpg

A memorable moment from my childhood so it seemed like a good choice. But little did I know that in 2022 Orel Hershiser would be one of the final 26 cards I needed for my signed 1988 Topps set. And I could have had it already!

Similarly with Roger Clemens, I got his autograph on a 1991 Topps card and today I still need his signed 1988 Topps All Star card. But there's no chance I would have had the foresight to get the stupid All Star card signed, and his 1991 Topps card rules, so no regrets there.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
One of my dream cards, a dual William Shatner/Patrick Stewart auto card, came up for sale on eBay for $300 three days before a move to a new apt in Aug 2019.

I was rebuilding everything from a messy separation and I didn’t want to risk anything, like being short or opening new credit, etc. by buying it so close to the move. Of course it sold pretty quickly and I haven’t seen one up for sale at less than $600 since…

zyceoa

Sep 2, 2012
Probably the 1998 Flair Perfect 10 insert of Frank Thomas. I only saw one on EBAY the past decade, and sold around 2015 for $500ish. I could only imagine how much it would go for now. Even if I could afford it, it never shows up. Ever.

EtherealSOC

Dec 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Fifteen years ago I held a Hank Aaron 1954 Topps rookie card in my hand at a card show. It was a PSA 6. It was $800 but the seller openly told me he'd take $600 since the show was coming to an end. I didn't have anywhere near $600 at my disposal, so I thanked him and put it back in the case. Today that's a $10,000 card.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
1951 Bowman Mantle. The hobby got out of whack, IMHO, when things like Bowman Chrome autos of guys who hadn't actually done anything started selling for 4-5 figures. I used to be heavily into prospecting so I get it that prices relative to established players and HOFers can seem off. But at a certain point it just seemed silly to me that a brand new card would sell for more than a Willie Mays rookie when that guy in his wildest, soul-selling dreams would have a career anywhere near comparable to Mays. So I started looking at 1951 Mantles and Mayses. Just 3-4 years ago, you could get a PSA 4 1951 Bowman Mantle for $7500, give or take depending on the exact shape of it. In December, 2019, or maybe 2018, I was this><close to bidding $9000 on a really nice 4 on ebay but lost my nerve and it sold for $8200. At the 2019 National I went looking for a Mantle and while I could find nice 7s for $27K or a 2-3 for $3-4K, I only found one 4 that I was willing to buy but the dealer would not budge off $10K and I really didn't want to go above $8K. Now, Mantle 4s are solidly $20K. And I still think they're undervalued. But I did get a PSA 5 Mays at that National for $4500, and I'm super happy I did.

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
I bought a Topps Tom Seaver rookie right at the same time as he was elected to the hall of fame. I needed the card for my 1967 set. It took me about 10 years to complete the set going to card shows around Boston.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
But little did I know that in 2022 Orel Hershiser would be one of the final 26 cards I needed for my signed 1988 Topps set.
Hershiser has long been a great signer through the mail, at least up until a few years ago when I last got him. Not sure if he still signs for free, but it's worth a try.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Hershiser has long been a great signer through the mail, at least up until a few years ago when I last got him. Not sure if he still signs for free, but it's worth a try.
Looks like you were lucky, according to the stats on sportscollectors.net he hasn't signed much TTM since 2005. Once in a while he'll sign something but 90% of the time it's a fail.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I wouldn't call them dream cards, but MANY cards that were just a little bit too expensive when i tried to obtain them. Most have escalated to much higher levels now. I don't have deep regrets, because I was not comfortable paying what the asking price was at the time, so they are nowhere near what I'd pay now.

A couple that sting a little extra are the 1994 Archives Gold Aaron Au and a PSA8 71T Garvey. Both I seemed to be so close to getting on numerous occasions, both skyrocketing in value since. I don't even need another 71T Garvey and I don't actually collect graded cards, but thought it would be neat to have his basic Topps run in psa8 or better, since I had them all multiple times over. I was missing them in the $50-60 range for a long time, each one selling just a bit higher, often with me as the runner up bid. Now they seem to be selling for $400-600 and more! Ridic!

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
One of my dream cards, a dual William Shatner/Patrick Stewart auto card, came up for sale on eBay for $300 three days before a move to a new apt in Aug 2019.

I was rebuilding everything from a messy separation and I didn’t want to risk anything, like being short or opening new credit, etc. by buying it so close to the move. Of course it sold pretty quickly and I haven’t seen one up for sale at less than $600 since…
And someone just listed one of these on eBay.

For $2000...

Members online

Latest posts