Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What is your favorite damaged card in your collection? Post them up!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shanks25

Aug 7, 2008

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited:

shanks25

Aug 7, 2008
I apologize for the rant. Was just frustrated with the technical difficulties. I appreciate all your hard work with the site, Gilmore. Happy new year.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited:

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I think I was in a really good place life-wise at the time, or else really busy with other things.

Won the card cheap, sent the seller a message, but never followed up.

I bought a cheap relic last year.Card was sent in team bag, top loader and padded envelope, and still was somehow damaged when I got it.Seller said it was fine when he sent it.Not as bad as some here, but there was 2 creases on the jersey window.It was bad enough I couldn't stand looking at it, so it got tossed.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
No pic but I have a longoria bowman auto somewhere that I picked up in a trade. Had it 6 hrs and my dog proceeded to put a tooth through the corner, no other damage just the tooth hole.

How did that happen?Was there no top loader on it?

I read somewhere someone had a nice card on a desk or dresser, and their cat spilled water on it, knocked it on floor, something to that extent.

NE12BC12

Aug 5, 2011
This
Seller had it listed for $25. I hit bin without thinking or looking. Didn't realize until I received it that it looks like it was smashed between something and dented quite a bit. Card looks fine until you turn it sideways

You just made me turn my lap top sideways.

This thread hurts the collector in me. Hate seeing nice cards that are damaged. But here's mine and its story.....

2010 Topps Chrome Superfractors #109 Dustin Pedroia 1/1

First saw this card on EBay and was out bid on it badly. If I remember correctly I put up like $230.00 and didn't even compete with a couple other bidders. About a year latter the card shows up again, but this time it's graded. At least I won it this time, and under $100.00.
The low grade is due to a printing flaw along the bottom inner frame, looks like the press skipped across it.

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
Here's two of mine....
attachment.php

This looks like someone erased the autograph.
attachment.php

No sad stries to tell about this two. Posted on eBay and described with the damage for about $25 each, I couldn't pass at the time.

Last edited:

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
Here's two of mine....
attachment.php

This looks like someone erased the autograph.
attachment.php

No sad stries to tell about this two. Posted on eBay and described with the damage for about $25 each, I couldn't pass at the time.

Wow that Exquisite is mangled! Can't say no as a PC item for $25 though...especially with you collecting so many of the same card ;)

Mamunrud

Aug 14, 2008
Dubuque, Iowa
I shared this one before but I'll repeat it here cause this fits the thread.

I was making a trade with a guy for some vintage cards and we were just about done and agreed upon the deal. The guy reached into his coat pocket and said I might be interested in these other two cards also. One was a 1967 Aaron in not bad shape and the other was a 1954 Aaron RC that he pointed out had a larger hole in it, about the size of a single hole punch would make. I told him of course I would be interested in the pair and asked what else the guy would want and he said he was fine with what he already had picked out. So I'm thinking I got the Aaron RC for free as I didn't have to add anything else to make the trade.

After a month or so of showing it around I felt it was time to see how much the Aaron would be worth to someone else, popped it on Ebay and was shocked to get $206 plus change for it. Nice!

ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1388615884.828566.jpg

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa

I was making a trade with a guy for some vintage cards and we were just about done and agreed upon the deal. The guy reached into his coat pocket and said I might be interested in these other two cards also. One was a 1967 Aaron in not bad shape and the other was a 1954 Aaron RC that he pointed out had a larger hole in it, about the size of a single hole punch would make. I told him of course I would be interested in the pair and asked what else the guy would want and he said he was fine with what he already had picked out. So I'm thinking I got the Aaron RC for free as I didn't have to add anything else to make the trade.

After a month or so of showing it around I felt it was time to see how much the Aaron would be worth to someone else, popped it on Ebay and was shocked to get $206 plus change for it. Nice!

View attachment 27915

I remember you posting this somewhere. Awesome job with the sell, a good way to be surprised!

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008

View attachment 27915

I remember reading this somewhere too.So kids then punched holes in cards to make necklaces?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I'd guess it would be more of a way to keep the cards together on a string, like you see laminate and carpet samples on chains at stores. Kids did some great stuff with cards to damage them back in the early days, so we have them to thanks for making the older cards that much more valuable when they are in nice condition.

I personally cut borders off, laminated them, tacked them to my wall, taped them to my wall and generally handled them to the point of nicely rounded corders. My 1978 set which I built that year from packs, before I upgraded most of the cards after a friend gave me his brothers collection, was a set made from pure love of the cards and no concern for value at all.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
A couple others that survived from my youth and one I had to buy for fun:

Special 78 Topps custom mini!

I must have deleted the scan of the Rickey Henderson RC I have that is heavily worn. I'll have to dig that back out some day.

The purchase, for a buck i think:

Any then I have a number of worn vintage cards that are worth something regardless pif the wear. i've shown this pair before too:

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Haha cool thread idea. Can't say I can post anything but have enjoyed reading...

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
A couple others that survived from my youth and one I had to buy for fun:

Special 78 Topps custom mini!

I must have deleted the scan of the Rickey Henderson RC I have that is heavily worn. I'll have to dig that back out some day.

The purchase, for a buck i think:

Any then I have a number of worn vintage cards that are worth something regardless pif the wear. i've shown this pair before too:

Who is the Yankees player?Did he print that on it?Is that a Dawson rookie?Why did you cut the borders?Is that a package of hot dogs on the Hodges?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The 48 B is Johnny Sain. he was with the Braves at the time, but someone thought they'd make their own Update card. It was the oldest card i had in my early collecting days. probably bought it for a buck or less or maybe got it in a trade back in the 70s.

The Dawson is a 78T and i molested a lot of my 78T cards, as it was the first year i collected. I can't remember why I cut them, maybe because I had some 75T minis too? I never cut anything but 78T though, thankfully. Good thing I knew better when I started buying 50s Topps cards.

The Hodges is a 1954 Wilson Franks card. They are quite hard to find and very desirable (and expensive when you do find them). The floating package of hot dogs is on all of the cards in that issue.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Here is another graded card that makes you go "hmmmm?"
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/rangercalfas/*****%20Leaguers/scan0001_zpscb99b2cf.jpg

The card is not Gem Mint but from the outward appearance it is solid......until you turn it over. On the back you will notice that Cool Papa Bell crossed out the name of Buck O'Neil which resulted in the surface being damaged. I have never heard the full story but read the back of the card and you can make your own assumptions.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/rangercalfas/*****%20Leaguers/scan0002_zps22cdc9cf.jpg

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Here is another graded card that makes you go "hmmmm?"
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/rangercalfas/***** Leaguers/scan0001_zpscb99b2cf.jpg

The card is not Gem Mint but from the outward appearance it is solid......until you turn it over. On the back you will notice that Cool Papa Bell crossed out the name of Buck O'Neil which resulted in the surface being damaged. I have never heard the full story but read the back of the card and you can make your own assumptions.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/rangercalfas/***** Leaguers/scan0002_zps22cdc9cf.jpg

Neat card.Did not know O'neil owned Monarchs.Why did SGC have to put it in such a huge slab?

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts