Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What the f-uck is wrong with people?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
I know I know you will all say it is their card and they can ask what ever they want. Then why not just ask for a trillion dollars.
Some are just f-ucked in the head.

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
I know I know you will all say it is their card and they can ask what ever they want. Then why not just ask for a trillion dollars.
Some are just f-ucked in the head.
Agreed, but honestly that's not even close to the most insane ask on a baseball PMG in recent memory. Rising basketball tides lift all boats apparently and there are plenty of opportunists hoping to capitalize I guess. Best of luck to them in a free market. All about hype in my opinion. These and other niche cards are being treated like 1/1s. But someone is buying ........

gitarst182

Sep 17, 2011
Washington
Just looking through the other items, this seller isn't budging on prices. The store reminds me of.... antiquesnowmobile? I think that was the username. Insane cards for insane prices.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
My post is not defending it, but rather offering a different perspective.

To me, that is crazy and I personally would never spend even 10% of that asking price on a 90s insert. However, as was already said, people do buy things like this and as long as people are continuing to buy, it won't change anything. This hobby is interesting to say the least. There has always been a money aspect, but it just seems to be getting worse and worse (values rise and people are willing to spend more and more on items). I have spent more than I care to think about or admit to in my hobby pursuits, but it's also been over a very long time and in a lot of smaller increments. Buying just about anything over $100 for me takes thorough thought and breaking the $1000 is almost unheard of would require even more extensive thought and self-convincing that I spend that kind of money on a trading card. Pretty sure I have only broken that barrier once and it was semi-recent (pre-covid, but not that much before) and for a 1933 Goudey Ruth, which in turn has grown further in value and thus should allow me to be able to easily flip it for 3-5X or more than what I paid. Those numbers are pocket change to some and eye popping numbers to others who spend even less than I do. We all buy what we are comfortable with, but it is now a "hobby" where insane amounts of money change hands on the regular.

Is this any more crazy than spending similar money on a key vintage card, signature, piece of memorabilia or a scarce oddball item? Extend that out to vices like tobacco, alcohol, gambling and other forms of entertainment and it seems even worse, but millions spend crazy money on that stuff too.

OakAth

Nov 30, 2009
Just had a card pop up a few days ago from a set I am collecting. The seller had it listed for $700.00. I messaged the guy, told him I collected these cards and am not a flipper.....mentioned what I typically pay for this set and bought a PSA 9 Trout for less than half of what he was asking and down the road if his card doesn't sell, I would be willing to pay $100 and to keep me in mind. He replied that he had a $400 offer and if I did $425 he would sell it to me. I told him he seriously needed to take that $400.00 offer. Fast forward to a couple of hours ago, the card is still there but now the price is $99.99 as a buy it now. I clicked the button....BLOCKED. Lol, I have never been blocked before. All of my responses were cordial and I even told him that I hoped he gets the price that he was asking. Oh well, this card is serial numbered to three, I have two more chances.

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
Just had a card pop up a few days ago from a set I am collecting. The seller had it listed for $700.00. I messaged the guy, told him I collected these cards and am not a flipper.....mentioned what I typically pay for this set and bought a PSA 9 Trout for less than half of what he was asking and down the road if his card doesn't sell, I would be willing to pay $100 and to keep me in mind. He replied that he had a $400 offer and if I did $425 he would sell it to me. I told him he seriously needed to take that $400.00 offer. Fast forward to a couple of hours ago, the card is still there but now the price is $99.99 as a buy it now. I clicked the button....BLOCKED. Lol, I have never been blocked before. All of my responses were cordial and I even told him that I hoped he gets the price that he was asking. Oh well, this card is serial numbered to three, I have two more chances.
Is it still available? Could you get someone else to purchase it for you?

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
Ego can get in a LOT of people's way in life.......

OakAth

Nov 30, 2009
who was the seller so I don't buy from him?
Not a big seller, only a rating of (31) and maybe less than 20 items right now on his current listings. Some of his feedback indicates he has some trouble on follow through with his sales so we shall see how this plays out. Here is the closed listing:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Cool that you got it at a price you were comfortable with, but unfortunately you also justified his warped sense of value by paying that $100 through someone else. It's quite possible that card goes unsold for half that if you weren't an eager buyer (I have no idea, just tossing that out as a possibility). Now he thinks he sold it to someone else for what you offered. At the risk of them getting blocked as well (no loss there), you should ask the buyer to admit he bought it for you! I bet that would piss the seller off if he was vindictive enough to block you over that exchange.

Clearly that $400 "offer" was this idiot thinking he could bait you into buying it at 4X your offer.

OakAth

Nov 30, 2009
I told him that I paid on average $60.00 for these cards with the PSA 9 Trout being the most at $300 and then Ohtani, Guerrero Jr, and Acuna Jr. all going between $150-$200. The problem is there are two other cards from this set listed on ebay for outrageous prices, a Cronenworth for $3.4k and a PSA 8 Bohm for 1k....that's what new sellers look at as comps instead of the Strasburg that has been sitting there for 11 months at $57. I know it would have never sold at what he was asking and I could have just tried to wait him out silently, but I decided to reach out because I have lost out on a few of these cards that start off at an outrageous price and then all of a sudden are gone. I'll message the seller and they'll say "yeah, I let it go cheap to a guy who collects that guy"....so now I don't wait if I really want it. Of course, this guy wasn't one of those types of sellers, he was a jack@$$ but there are only three of each of these cards so I have to try.

I am one hundred percent positive he brought that card down to one penny less than I previously offered and subsequently blocked me because he knew I was watching it. I'm wondering if maybe he was also going to raise the price back up again after a few hours and was just doing all of this to spite me but screwed up when banjar (thank you again banjar) bought it pretty close to right after he dropped it. The price went from $700 to $99.99, that's quite a drop.....and yeah, the $400.00 mystery offer was laughable but I played along, told him to jump on it. lol

Members online

Latest posts