Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What's the worst Ebay incident you've had?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Watt

Aug 16, 2008
Cleveland
I'm wondering what the absolute worst thing Ebay, Paypal, or a seller/buyer has done.

Anyway, mine is when I sold a Roger Federer autograph to someone in Singapore for $250. Tracking/delivery confirmation does not work overseas so I didn't know what was going on for a while. Then the buyer files an item not received claim. The next day, I get a package in the mail from Singapore, from the seller, with the Federer card inside. He had to sign the customs form proving that he had the card. I take photos of the form, envelope, and card and include them in the Paypal case file. You can guess who they found in favor of. When I relisted the card it sold for a lot less.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
Watt said:
I'm wondering what the absolute worst thing Ebay, Paypal, or a seller/buyer has done.

Anyway, mine is when I sold a Roger Federer autograph to someone in Singapore for $250. Tracking/delivery confirmation does not work overseas so I didn't know what was going on for a while. Then the buyer files an item not received claim. The next day, I get a package in the mail from Singapore, from the seller, with the Federer card inside. He had to sign the customs form proving that he had the card. I take photos of the form, envelope, and card and include them in the Paypal case file. You can guess who they found in favor of. When I relisted the card it sold for a lot less.
Be happy you even got the card back.

Watt

Aug 16, 2008
Cleveland
oh believe me I was, I just have no idea how paypal could side with him in that situation. I generally hate shipping overseas as it seems whenever I do things turn out badly somehow.

LazerShow15

Apr 2, 2009
Wisconsin
I purchased a framed Walter Johnson photo with a 2001 (I believe) SP Legendary Cuts Auto card framed below. The picture was poor, the seller had low feedback, but good feedback so I emailed him and we dealt off-line. I purchased this for like $250. Yes too good to be true. When I received the framed piece I was so excited. a $3000 card was mine now. I took off the protective wrapping on the frame not only to find a color copy of the SP Legendary Cuts Card. Listing said authentic vintage so I indeed get reimbursed, but still when things are too good to be true, they usually are.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
The worst I ever had was back in 1998 when I bought a box of '98 SPx Finite and it never showed. That was it though.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
Watt said:
oh believe me I was, I just have no idea how paypal could side with him in that situation. I generally hate shipping overseas as it seems whenever I do things turn out badly somehow.
You had the card back why wouldn't they side with him?Why would they let you keep his money and the card?

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
Watt said:

This makes absolutely no sense. Why would he even send the card back to you? Even though the card sold for a lot less, why would he even bother to send it ack to you in the first place?

cstmleather

Jan 14, 2009
Sold a Jay Bruce TCU Black Ref AU for $350. Buyer in NY files a claim almost a month later for "not recieved". Then makes numerous Ebay IDs and buys items to leave negatives if I don't refund right away. So I have to call Paypal and Ebay about this and forward emails with the blackmail attempts.

Long story short, I guess he forgot I used SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION and he signed it off. After his accounts get closed and some police involvement his excuse was "I got hacked by someone in my apartment building"(emails came from the same IP).

cmixer

Aug 9, 2008
a lister had boxes of 2005 Topps Gallery - i bid & won all of them (like $50 per) - paid for like 8 or 9 - never got them - ebay found in my favor, but there was no money to go after - he cleared out his paypal, and closed his ebay acct ...

Watt

Aug 16, 2008
Cleveland
mudflap02 said:
Watt said:

This makes absolutely no sense. Why would he even send the card back to you? Even though the card sold for a lot less, why would he even bother to send it ack to you in the first place?

I really have no idea. If he wanted to, he could have just kept the card and filed the claim anyway and gotten his money back. The only thing I can think of is that he realized he paid too much for it but didn't want to steal the card and the money. Or something like that.

i sold an 2008 chin lung hu orange refractor (or whatever) to a gentleman with a confirmed ca address. after 3 weeks go by i get an email from a gentleman demanding delivery confirmation number. in his letter he states the card never made it to taiwan. well of course my dc number (from non paypal mailing) doesnt verify his address it goes to the address in ca. it shows delivered. he files on me since card failed to make it from ca to taiwan. my funds are frozen... i respond to the complaint stating delivery but cannot find my dc slip... i tore my house and car apart with no luck! i stall as long as i can to see if i can bluff without the dc number. no luck with that and i wouldnt recommend trying... so at work the next day i go to the usps site to see if there is a way around the dc slip... like receipt or the credit card statement. i decided as a last ditch effort i would check to see if the auto memory (something we use a **** load at work) saved the tracking number... to my surprise after looking through around 30 tracking numbers i found the right one. i sent email through ebay to the buyer asking him if he would like to close the case. he asked me if i was ready to refund i said... negative and posted the dc number to the case and won. i learned 3 things:

1. paypal shipping is the bomb yo!
2. shipping overseas is never worth it
3. someone will actually pay for chung lung hu cards...

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
ThoseBackPages said:
signing up on the site in 1998 ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::

LOL

Only real problem I had was not getting a card last year. Buyer had DC showing it delivered, but I never got it so I lost the claim. I did however receive 3 other packages on the delivery date, just not that one. Guessing my neighbor ended up with it. :?

cowboysrule48

Aug 7, 2008
Orlando, FL
Back in 2007 I sold a ticket to the Missouri/kU football game for 250 dollars. I had to sent the ticket over night since it was the week of the event, I told the guy this and that express mail guarantees the package by 3 PM the next day. He filed a claim at 3:05 saying he didn't get the ticket. His mail hadn't even shown up yet! I get an email from him that night saying the mail lady's truck broke down and he got the ticket about an hour after he filed the claim.

The guy never cancels the claim. I have signature confirmation and emails from him saying that the ticket arrived. He even responded to the claim saying he got the ticket, but never canceled it. I forwarded all this to paypal and they still sat on their hands. The guy ignored me when I asked him to cancel the claim. After several emails and phone calls I finally got paypal to rule in my favor after over a month.

At least it all worked out in the end, and if having money tied up for over a month is the worst I've had happen I know I'm lucky compared to some of you guys.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Sold 80 1986 Topps Traded Barry Bonds XRCs to a buyer for $1600. He was a comic book collector who decided to invest in Bonds RCs back in October of 2005. I had pulled most of them from sealed traded sets that I submitted to PSA. The buyer goes to a show in Chicago and submits many of them to BGS. Mind you, his completed auctions showed that he had bought HUNDREDS of these. BGS says that some of them are counterfeit, and he accuses me of sending him fake cards and demands his money back. He files his first claim on 11/22/05. Here are some of the emails he sends me (I saved all of them):

I had bought (80) Barry Bonds Topps Traded 11T rookie cards from you on October 13th, three separate auctions. Time has passed and I had 6 of the cards graded by Beckett and those came back to me "Questionable Authenticity". I went to a convention just this past weekend in Donald Stephenson Center in Rosemont, Illinois. I had asked Beckett why they came up like that and they told me they were counterfeits or fakes. The had explained to me in detail what was wrong with the cards and they have a much darker image and different lettering below the picture. I am really upset emotionally and digusted running into this problem. All 80 cards are counterfeits. I would like to get a refund for what I had paid which was $1651.20...plus what I paid and wasted to have those cards graded at $10.00 each. $1651.20 + $60.00 = $1711.20 total. I don't want to do this but it's my only option....I'm giving you 24 hours to get back to me otherwise I will contact appropiate authorities which includes Ebay, Topps, Paypal, and Barry Bonds attournies/himself. I'm not sure if your aware of this is a criminal offense and can result in prison.

Then, he demands $2500 through PayPal on 12/5:

I'll turn you in if you don't give me a refund. The (80) Barry Bonds 1986 Topps cards are all counterfeit. This is a crime and I have emailed you twice and no response. If you refund me $2500.00 (mainly for the agrrevation, embarrasment in front of Beckett for having these cards graded) I'll drop it...If not I will report you to the FBI, Major Leauge Baseball, and Topps. I'm taking this seriously. This is a crime and I have made a police report. I will contact higher authority. You decide where you want to be on Christmas...In jail or with your family?

On 2/12/06, he files through his CC company. They put a hold on my account, which essentially puts me in the hole for $1600.

On 5/24/06, more than 90 days after PayPal took my money, I get this notice from Paypal:
We are pleased to inform you that this dispute has been found in our favor
and the transaction amount above will be reimbursed to your account. This
credit should appear on your account within 7 business days. Thank you for
your patience and cooperation in this matter.

Part of the reason I think I won was that I showed that one of the sellers who sold 1986 Topps Traded Bonds to my buyer had negative feedback from other buyers who reported receiving counterfeit cards. Being without PayPal for 6 months sucked, but not nearly as much as if I had lost $1600.

David

Jul 30, 2009
Didnt happen to me (thank Goodness) but it did to probably a whole bunch.

Back in 2000, before most ebay auctions had scans and pre paypal, SAGE Basketball Draft Picks put out an autographed card of Michael Jordan in their packs.

Well they all made their way onto ebay and sold very well...VERY WELL....for several hundred dollars each.

So whats the problem? Well it wasnt THE MJ, it was another guy with the same name drafter that year.

The whole thing is that the auctions didnt say it wasnt THE MJ, but in the end, many of the sellers didnt break any laws and were not clearly trying to fool the buyers.....I guess.

jgro85

Mar 15, 2010
Long Beach, CA
011873 said:

Back in 2000, before most ebay auctions had scans and pre paypal, SAGE Basketball Draft Picks put out an autographed card of Michael Jordan in their packs.

Well they all made their way onto ebay and sold very well...VERY WELL....for several hundred dollars each.

So whats the problem? Well it wasnt THE MJ, it was another guy with the same name drafter that year.

The whole thing is that the auctions didnt say it wasnt THE MJ, but in the end, many of the sellers didnt break any laws and were not clearly trying to fool the buyers.....I guess.

Haha, I remember that. It was awesome.

gonzagacubs

Aug 7, 2008
Glenpool, OK
011873 said:

Michael Jordan who played college ball at the University of Pennsylvania, if I remember correctly.

Ian Stewart

Aug 7, 2008
I've really only been ripped off three times on eBay. I was really young so I didn't really do much except tell my parents. You better believe ish would go down if I got ripped off today.

1.) For my 8th grade graduation, my parents bought me a Miguel Cabrera 2000 Topps Traded Autograph. Or so I thought. It took like 4 weeks for the seller to send and, after numerous phone calls, I finally got it. It was actually a 2000 Topps Traded base card of Miggy signed in person and not the certified AU pictured in the auction. That sucked.

2.) A few years after that (I think in like '05), I bought another one from a guy named Eric Wood from Massachusetts. Got a really good deal at the time and never got it. He was a huge ****** and kept claiming he sent it, but with no D/C. Naturally, I filed a claim. Paypal only recovered like 1/3 of it and I was out $218. I harassed him at work, threatened legal action, etc, but to no avail. Guy is a *********. Wish I had his ID, but he got kicked off eBay. If anybody sells to an Eric Wood from Massachusetts, please forward me the info and you will be compensated.

3.) Sold a Reid Brignac 2004 SP Prospects AU to a Canadian buyer named artist_lost or something for $38 in '05. He claimed he never got it and I refunded him. It popped up on eBay a year or two later. I kept the serial number and everything, but nothing. Useless contacting him now, but I refuse to deal with that dude.

Of course, I've had countless other occasions where I had to file a claim, but these three were the only times I've really lost $ due to funny business.

Members online

Latest posts