Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What's your "baseball card mystery"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Is there something about a card or set which you have always wondered about?

Here's one of mine.

Below is a close up of the photo used on Lynn's rookie card.

My question is, what is that big amount of white under his chin?

It can't be his sleeve right?

Attachments

• 1405877455269.jpg
    1405877455269.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 103

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Here is a blown up pic.

vintage-lynn1.jpg

Looks like it might be a towel or a sleeve to a jacket?

Fordman

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
-Print runs of '98 Pacific Online Winners (or which cards were actually distributed and in what quantity)

-2012 Prizm Blue print runs. This one should be somewhat easy to research but I don't know where to start. I know the blues were Walmart only but I didn't open any personally. Were they one per box? And if so how many were produce solely for Walmart? I think theses are more rare than people realize but I could be wrong

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
What happened to the black Glomar bat Adam Dunn is holding in his 1999 Topps Traded card? He's holding 3 bats in the card and the other 2 are the LVS bats he used during that period. The Glomar has his name on the barrel so it was his bat. I've never seen a photo of him using a Glomar bat and have never heard of someone owning a Dunn Glomar.
2014-07-20-14-24-54-1.png

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
What happened to the black Glomar bat Adam Dunn is holding in his 1999 Topps Traded card? He's holding 3 bats in the card and the other 2 are the LVS bats he used during that period. The Glomar has his name on the barrel so it was his bat. I've never seen a photo of him using a Glomar bat and have never heard of someone owning a Dunn Glomar.
View attachment 38206

Quite amazing you came up with that , that's detail for sure !

Ryan

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
View attachment 38206

I had a similar thing happen with me and my Andruw Collection. In 1996 Andruw graced the cover of Becket holding 3 bats, 2 of which clearly show #13 but as far as I can tell he never wore that number in the majors or minors. Then in 2011 a game used bat was sold by pristine auction with the #13 and letter of authenticity. First and only time I've seen it and after getting in contact with the owner I don't think I'll ever own it.

It's possible your Dunn bat sitting in an old coaches office and will eventually see the light of day. Good luck with your search.

$(KGrHqR,!q!FIQhLY,nIBSGSdyoCTw~~60_57.JPG

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
I've always wondered what Pinnacle sold off when they went bankrupt. I've seen the auction list but when it's listed as a "pallet of basketball sets" or "15 boxes of baseball cards" doesn't help.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Quite amazing you came up with that , that's detail for sure !
:D
I routinely search Dunn's cards when trying to match game used bats or to learn about what equipment he was using through the years and on different teams. Dunn experimented with a variety of bats and was prone to stick with a certain LVS model (B345 for example) before ordering and trying something different. If I collected Jeter stuff I wouldn't have as much fun because he has used the same model bat (P72) his entire career.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
I had a similar thing happen with me and my Andruw Collection. In 1996 Andruw graced the cover of Becket holding 3 bats, 2 of which clearly show #13 but as far as I can tell he never wore that number in the majors or minors. Then in 2011 a game used bat was sold by pristine auction with the #13 and letter of authenticity. First and only time I've seen it and after getting in contact with the owner I don't think I'll ever own it.

It's possible your Dunn bat sitting in an old coaches office and will eventually see the light of day. Good luck with your search.

View attachment 38207
Interesting! I wonder if the 13 thing was a tribute to someone or for luck. Did the bat sold at auction have his name engraved on the barrel? Players are sometimes known to borrow and share bats which could explain everything.

I have a feeling a Dunn Glomar will surface someday. The seller just needs the proper motivation ($).

zyceoa

Sep 2, 2012
I was always curious about the 1999 Hillshire Farms Home Run Heroes auto set. There's 4 players in the set: Ernie Banks, Harmon Killebrew, Frank Robinson, and Willie Stargell. If you search on ebay, you hardly ever see the Stargell. There's tons of cards of the other 3 players. Another thing I noticed is that hardly any of the Killebrew cards have COAs.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Does anyone know HOW the seller got a hold of a complete set of 1990 ud "20 anniversary" holo stamped cards?

I recall the set was bought at a yard sale or something.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Some things have been mentioned but :

***How many grades cards have been "special" bumped. Meaning a 9 given a 10 on purpose or how many (%) of cards that have been bumped on a resub and what that card would grade on a third try (the high or low)

***Where Will Clark Game Used Fresno , Mississippi State, Olympic, First MLB Game and some other "special" jerseys are and the asking price

***Print run of the Tek Diffractors and base for that matter

***Also the 98' Online Winner list and print runs

***Where the heck are the 97' Score Rangers Regional cards/boxes

***A list and Print Run of tough promos

***List and runs of all Pinnacle "tough" items / samples

***Would love a database matching the item to the card and details of the item for every "used" item made since 1996

***Where that Glomar Dunn bat is ;)

***Print run and different stamp spots of the 95' Score Platinum redemptions that were punched

***Per card costs to the manufacture of autos and game used etc of each player and how the secondary market holds

***Overall cost savings per player for a manufacture to use stickers vs on card

***Are there anymore large hidden stashes of vintage material out there

***Print run of 97' Pinnacle Inside Diamond Edition

Etc etc .....

Ryan

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
Interesting! I wonder if the 13 thing was a tribute to someone or for luck. Did the bat sold at auction have his name engraved on the barrel? Players are sometimes known to borrow and share bats which could explain everything.

I have a feeling a Dunn Glomar will surface someday. The seller just needs the proper motivation ($).

Yes, his name was engraved so I know they were at least issued to him and on the LOA only said it was used in a professional game. I always assumed minor league but I could not find any images to substantiate this.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Below is a close up of the photo used on Lynn's rookie card.
My question is, what is that big amount of white under his chin?
It can't be his sleeve right?
It's his sleeve. He's resting his arm or holding a fence or something.

Here's the full picture:

mVpZlrIX2nEtsAI_12QDn5Q.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts