Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who are the best current players that will never make HoF...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
.... but not because of steroids.

I saw an old article that got me thinking about this. Obviously Clemens, Bonds, McGuire, Arod, etc. will have trouble due to steroids. I'm not looking for those guys as that's kind of a different category, but who are the guys that we consider or have recently considered dominant, but will probably not have the numbers to make the HoF.

Cliff Lee comes to mind. Josh Hamilton since his non-steroid drug problems shortened his career. What do you think?

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
LOL@ Josh Hamilton

not even close and Cliff Lee is majorly offended by you putting their names in the same sentence.

Kevin

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
Not current but recent Jim Edmonds he is one of the greatest defensive/clutch players of the last decade but I think his numbers keep him out or at least for awhile. But that is why they get 15 years.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Josh Hamilton is hands down the best player that won't make the HOF.

With Hamilton, the term "natural," which is vastly overused, actually applies.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
If Hamilton can make it to 10 full seasons putting up the numbers he's capable of, he'll make it. He's lucky in one sense that he missed so many years, he hasn't had the same amount of baseball abuse put on his body as another 30 year old player. Too early to tell what all the drugs did to him. Keith Richards is still alive and great, so maybe Josh can keep going till he's 50!

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
DeliciousBacon said:
If Hamilton can make it to 10 full seasons putting up the numbers he's capable of, he'll make it. He's lucky in one sense that he missed so many years, he hasn't had the same amount of baseball abuse put on his body as another 30 year old player. Too early to tell what all the drugs did to him. Keith Richards is still alive and great, so maybe Josh can keep going till he's 50!
+1, i see Hamilton getting in before Howard.

Legion_79

Mar 22, 2011
Sharonville, Ohio
Chris Carpenter, if it wasnt for the missed time due to injuries he may have had a shot.
Scott Rolen, I think he has a slight chance still but again the injuries have taken their toll

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008
Bobby Abreu, pretty impressive career numbers just has never been considered one of the game's elite players.

.295/.399/.482 280-HR 1306-RBI 543-2B 57-3B 1404-BB 1397-R 386-SB

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
schmidtfan20 said:
LOL@ Josh Hamilton

not even close and Cliff Lee is majorly offended by you putting their names in the same sentence.

Kevin
:lol:

good Lord, Kevin - Lee's pitched a whopping 33 games in a Phillie uniform. Take off the blinders and put down the damn kool-aid for a minute.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
It's an interesting group of guys to think about. Some who started a bit too old, or who were stars for only a short period of time. Other players who were really good for a long time, but never really great.

A bunch of guys here I am not sure about:

Scott Rolen
Todd Helton
Carlos Beltran
Bobby Abreu
Johnny Damon (may reach 3000 hits, which would get him in.)
Tim Hudson
Mike Cameron
Lance Berkman
Tim Hudson
Roy Oswalt
Chase Utley

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Topnotchsy said:
It's an interesting group of guys to think about. Some who started a bit too old, or who were stars for only a short period of time. Other players who were really good for a long time, but never really great.

Scott Rolen
Todd Helton
Carlos Beltran
Bobby Abreu
Tim Hudson
Mike Cameron
Lance Berkman
Tim Hudson
Roy Oswalt
Chase Utley
if Damon gets 3000 hits, he'll get consideration and that's unfortunate. Compiling stats should not equal the Hall of Fame. I've never considered Damon an elite player. Very good, but not elite. The Hall of Fame already has too many players that are better suited for the "Hall of Pretty Good". In my opinion, Damon is a great candidate for the HoPG. Same with Jeff Kent, despite his place in the all-time 2B stats.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Topnotchsy said:

Scott Rolen
Todd Helton
Carlos Beltran
Bobby Abreu
Tim Hudson
Mike Cameron
Lance Berkman
Tim Hudson
Roy Oswalt
Chase Utley

Hudson won 70% of his games with the A's. He went 92-39 in 6 seasons...stretch that out to reasonable career length and he's in no question.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
uniquebaseballcards said:
Generally speaking only 1-2 players make it each year through the BBWAA, I think many people here tend to forget this.
just over 200 players after over 100 years of baseball...yet it's watered down... :lol:

Members online