Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who has a Strasburg Bowman auto?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Warrens All Stars said:
Don't kid yourselves guys - once BC comes out & the auto becomes THE Stras to have the Bowman will be dwarved by the BC. Being the first of many means nothing, right now the Bowman is the only & thats why the market is crazy.

Bowman Chrome is king.

Are you sure about that?

Bowman auto - 500 copies
Bowman Chrome auto - 5,000 copies (just an estimate)

Plus, the first auto of just about any player has always held strong, price wise.

If Pujols' 2001 Bowman auto was 50 copies, and his chrome auto was still 500 copies, don't you think the Bowman auto would hold tremendous value?

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
ballerskrip said:
Warrens All Stars said:
Don't kid yourselves guys - once BC comes out & the auto becomes THE Stras to have the Bowman will be dwarved by the BC. Being the first of many means nothing, right now the Bowman is the only & thats why the market is crazy.

Bowman Chrome is king.

Are you sure about that?

Bowman auto - 500 copies

Plus, the first auto of just about any player has always held strong, price wise.

If Pujols' 2001 Bowman auto was 50 copies, and his chrome auto was still 500 copies, don't you think the Bowman auto would hold tremendous value?

One thing I've learned from Topps - assume nothing.

For all we know, they could easily make his BC auto just as SP'd as his Bowman.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Jaypers said:
ballerskrip said:
Warrens All Stars said:

Bowman Chrome is king.

Are you sure about that?

Bowman auto - 500 copies

agreed 100%. But it is also hard to say the bowman is going to plummet in value when we have no idea what the chrome print run will be...

People also thought the Stras bowman auto would die down a week or two after release. All it has done is climb in value to this point.

skrip

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
ballerskrip said:
Jaypers said:
ballerskrip said:
Warrens All Stars said:

Bowman Chrome is king.

Are you sure about that?

Bowman auto - 500 copies

agreed 100%. But it is also hard to say the bowman is going to plummet in value when we have no idea what the chrome print run will be...

People also thought the Stras bowman auto would die down a week or two after release. All it has done is climb in value to this point.

skrip

Generally the print runs for base chrome autos are between 1500-2500, that being said, with him being a Green Auto and Strasburg...who knows.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
I never said anything was going to plummet; Where'd you get that 5k number? No way Stras signs 5000 of anything this year.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
Topnotchsy said:
Jaypers said:
Topnotchsy said:
If this card does not dip under $300 in the next year I will be absolutely shocked. IMO the economics just don't make sense.

Here's why I think its' value has staying power.

1) Shortprinted, and hobby/jumbo only. 500 isn't a lot, and when the presses have been cranked, they're even harder to pull. Not to mention wax prices are insane. Why spend $350 for a slim chance to pull one when you can just buy it outright?
2) Product reputation. Topps will put him in everything this year, but the Bowman name is the most recognizable for prospects.
3) Ridiculous hype and media coverage. How many pitchers have created such a stir every 5th day in recent memory?

Now, I'm not so naive as to think these won't fall some once BC comes out, but I'd be surprised to see them fall that far.
Honestly I think the day he goes 4 innings and gives up 7 runs it will drop a whole bunch. Right now the entire country is watching him (in between World Cup matches) and that will end sooner or later. He'll have a ton of other options including a Chrome RC Auto with all the parallels. And while you mention the Bowman name, it is really Bowman Chrome that gets the press time. Look back at past Bowman Auto's and they don't touch Bowman Chrome ones. And the SP aspect often gets lost in the shuffle IMO. In 2005 Drew and Weaver were SP's in base Chrome, but people often don't even remember that. Here they have specific numbering so it's easier, but I'm still not sold.

Simply comparing his prices to prices of others players tells me it has to end sooner or later. What would a Lincecum Bowman Auto /500 be worth now? $80? Strasburg is a celebrity while Lincecum is a baseball player, but is he worth 7x-8x the price?

I'd love to see prices stay up especially since I have a Bowman Chrome Orange Ref. incoming (which I'll likely move once it arrives) but I have a hard time seeing it. Of course, all bets are off if he keeps his ERA under 2 and strikes out 10 guys a game.
Right now as in present time? (Today?) Cuz those are near the $200 clip. This is after his drop off when base chromes were approaching 200 in the beginning of the season. ;)

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Warrens All Stars said:
I never said anything was going to plummet; Where'd you get that 5k number? No way Stras signs 5000 of anything this year.

I would be willing to bet that his autograph contract with topps is for at least 15,000 autographs. But I expect to see the standard 2000ish of his base autograph in BC.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
darocker80 said:
Topnotchsy said:
Jaypers said:
Topnotchsy said:
If this card does not dip under $300 in the next year I will be absolutely shocked. IMO the economics just don't make sense.

1) Shortprinted, and hobby/jumbo only. 500 isn't a lot, and when the presses have been cranked, they're even harder to pull. Not to mention wax prices are insane. Why spend $350 for a slim chance to pull one when you can just buy it outright?
2) Product reputation. Topps will put him in everything this year, but the Bowman name is the most recognizable for prospects.
3) Ridiculous hype and media coverage. How many pitchers have created such a stir every 5th day in recent memory?

Now, I'm not so naive as to think these won't fall some once BC comes out, but I'd be surprised to see them fall that far.
Honestly I think the day he goes 4 innings and gives up 7 runs it will drop a whole bunch. Right now the entire country is watching him (in between World Cup matches) and that will end sooner or later. He'll have a ton of other options including a Chrome RC Auto with all the parallels. And while you mention the Bowman name, it is really Bowman Chrome that gets the press time. Look back at past Bowman Auto's and they don't touch Bowman Chrome ones. And the SP aspect often gets lost in the shuffle IMO. In 2005 Drew and Weaver were SP's in base Chrome, but people often don't even remember that. Here they have specific numbering so it's easier, but I'm still not sold.

Simply comparing his prices to prices of others players tells me it has to end sooner or later. What would a Lincecum Bowman Auto /500 be worth now? $80? Strasburg is a celebrity while Lincecum is a baseball player, but is he worth 7x-8x the price?

I'd love to see prices stay up especially since I have a Bowman Chrome Orange Ref. incoming (which I'll likely move once it arrives) but I have a hard time seeing it. Of course, all bets are off if he keeps his ERA under 2 and strikes out 10 guys a game.
Right now as in present time? (Today?) Cuz those are near the $200 clip. This is after his drop off when base chromes were approaching 200 in the beginning of the season. ;)

I meant if he had a Bowman Auto to go with his Chrome releases.

For those who think the first release means anything in today's day and age...

What was Pujols first RC card/RC Auto?
What was Ichiro's first RC card/RC Auto?

The fact is that people don't really remember these things, and that is compounded nowadays where people are paying big bucks for second and third year Chrome Auto's.

To compare:
Hanley 2003 Bowman Auto: $40
Hanley 2003 Bowman Chrome Auto: $140

The numbers indicate that once there is a Chrome Auto, the Bowman Auto does not retain value, and it is rare that people even remember which one came first as time goes on.

GAbballplayer148

Aug 13, 2008
Topnotchsy said:
darocker80 said:
Topnotchsy said:
Jaypers said:
Topnotchsy said:

I meant if he had a Bowman Auto to go with his Chrome releases.

For those who think the first release means anything in today's day and age...

What was Pujols first RC card/RC Auto?
What was Ichiro's first RC card/RC Auto?

The fact is that people don't really remember these things, and that is compounded nowadays where people are paying big bucks for second and third year Chrome Auto's.

To compare:
Hanley 2003 Bowman Auto: $40
Hanley 2003 Bowman Chrome Auto: $140

The numbers indicate that once there is a Chrome Auto, the Bowman Auto does not retain value, and it is rare that people even remember which one came first as time goes on.

The Hanley comparison is not really fair, considering the SOTF is more of an insert than the Strasburg Bowman Auto/500, which is an auto on a base card (making it seem less insert-ish). The collecting community has often strayed away from insert RC autos, thus the price difference in the SOTF and Chrome Hanley.

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
JoshHamilton said:
In their PC, or whatever the term is. I have two, pujolsjunkie has one, and that's all I know of. Anyone else actually holding one?

Sold mine for $575 this week. I'm quite pleased with it.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
Warrens All Stars said:

Bowman Chrome is king.

Even if this is true, the Bowman has 3+ months to gain lots of value until the Chrome version is released.

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL
I want one real bad, just can't afford one. Well I have the money, but wifey wouldn't be to happy. I will try to get one this offseason or at tax time.

~AJ

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
Warrens All Stars said:

Bowman Chrome is king.

Personally, I couldn't disagree more. I think the "Green" chrome auto to be released in BC is flat out Ugly compared with the "Blue" Bowman auto, and I know I can't be the only one wo thinks this if we're being honest here.
I mean, yeah it's Bowman Chrome, but the green kind of gives it a "2nd year" look.
I think that will detract some value from the BC card and I actually don't think the BC will come out as high as the Bowman.

Now IF they hadn't made a chrome version in the Bowman product and the BC would have been made in the blue version, I think that card would have been THEE card to pick up of him this year. And that would have made BC the King. But of course that's not happening now.

Just my thoughts guys.

Oh, and I have 4 that I'm preparing to send off for the BGS June special.

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
pujolsjunkie said:
JoshHamilton said:
In their PC, or whatever the term is. I have two, pujolsjunkie has one, and that's all I know of. Anyone else actually holding one?

Sold mine for $575 this week. I'm quite pleased with it.

lol, so just joshhamilton has one in his PC? ha some true collectors

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
Thats a pricey card to hold if you are not blown away by him.

Miguel - I saw one episode of the show in your avatar. That crazy chick was saying "I love Coca...." That was some funny *****.

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
Krom said:
Thats a pricey card to hold if you are not blown away by him.

Miguel - I saw one episode of the show in your avatar. That crazy chick was saying "I love Coca...." That was some funny quit swearing

its a great show. its a clown named dr rockzo who loves cocaine and pretty much will do anything for it.

Scottyno

May 15, 2010
I pulled one out of the only Jumbo box I was able to get, I will probably keep it in my collection.
Bowman_Cards0001.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts