Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who SHOULD have been amazing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Rick-Ankiel1.jpg

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Lastings Milledge,

I bet quite a few here still have stashes of him they will never recoup the investment on.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I tend to be skeptical regarding prospects because in my mind until you do it in the Bigs there's no sure thing.

For me the two who stand our are Mark Prior and Rick Ankiel. Both were top prospects who made the Majors and were absolutely filthy, but quickly faded.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I tend to be skeptical regarding prospects because in my mind until you do it in the Bigs there's no sure thing.

For me the two who stand our are Mark Prior and Rick Ankiel. Both were top prospects who made the Majors and were absolutely filthy, but quickly faded.

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
Rick Ankiel is still the best pitcher I have seen in my lifetime. Sad that he lost it.

I predict Mark Appel will be on this list in 10 years. Could be wrong but I don't see Ace there.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Brian Cole. Would have been a great of this generation. Tragic.

I'll be damned.Years ago, I bought one of those repack boxes, and the "bonus" was his Topps Traded autograph.Never heard of him or knew who he was, so I tossed it aside with the rest of my junk autographs.I looked up what happened to him right after you mentioned him.Don't know if I still have it or not.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
It's still sad to me what happened with Ank.

He had everything a pitcher could ask for, except for the mental capability, apparently.

And that breaks my heart.

The Cardinals invested so much in him, over several years. And there were many ups and downs. At times I thought the Cardinals should cut ties with him while he kept trying to come back as a pitcher. Then he decided he wanted to play the outfield. And that was a roller coaster. But when he was promoted to the big club, and made those throws in Colorado, I've never seen Tony LaRussa more happy. And I was extremely thrilled for him too.

His life is the stuff a movie could be made of. And I hope it is some day.

I have a pretty nice little Ankiel PC, and two of his jerseys.

But I'm always left wondering, what could have been?!

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
I love the hate for some of these guys. How can they be a "should have been amazing" when some of them have only been in the league for less than 3-4 years? They've barely started their career.

Members online