Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Worst baseball loss I've ever seen - Fire ump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
I've seen a lot of bad M's games in my time but tonight tops them all.

Fister went 9 innings, 6 hits, 1 WALK and 1 ER. They lost 1-0. The M's had another horrific offensive game, but that wont be the story tomorrow. Cameron Maybin walked on 3 balls and was the only run scored in the game. That might be the most embarrassing performance I've EVER seen by an ump. They had to go back over and over and over on TV to show all the pitches in the at bat to verify that there wasn't a 4th ball.

Do they adjust the scoring in the game and give him an unearned run? No excuse for the M's on not scoring, but Fister was absolutely cheated.

Kyle Phillips : Foul, Ball, Strike looking, Phillips struck out looking.
Cameron Maybin : Strike looking, Strike swinging, Foul, Ball, Foul, Ball, Ball, Maybin walked.
Anthony Rizzo : Ball, Pickoff attempt, Pickoff attempt, Ball, Ball, Strike looking, Rizzo grounded out to third, Maybin to second.
Alberto Gonzalez : Strike looking, Foul, Ball, Ball, Gonzalez singled to left, Maybin scored.
Will Venable : Venable grounded out to second.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
That was terrible.

BUT, what in the FUG are the pitcher and catcher doing, NOT KNOWING THE COUNT?

Seriously, this is the big leagues and you don't know the freaking count?

We can all blame the ump AFTER THE GAME, where was the objection during the game?

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
The ump is an idiot. When interviewed after the game, he said he looked up at the stadium count and it said ball 4, but the ump had ball 3. Maybin started running and no one said anything so he assumed he was wrong and ignored it.

Wedge thought it was ball 3 but not a single person said anything or seemed upset so he thought he was wrong.

Bard is the 4th string catcher after the other 3 have been injured and was just called up 3 games ago, no idea how he or Fister missed it. They all looked up at the stadium count and assumed it was right instead of what they thought. Unbelievable.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
ballerskrip said:
That was terrible.

BUT, what in the FUG are the pitcher and catcher doing, NOT KNOWING THE COUNT?

Seriously, this is the big leagues and you don't know the freaking count?

We can all blame the ump AFTER THE GAME, where was the objection during the game?

Tim Hudson forgot the count yesterday. Of course, it was after he fell over...

But he did the right thing and asked. You're right, if it isn't noticed/argued during play, there is nothing that can or SHOULD be done.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
1988RedSox said:
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2011_07_02_sdnmlb_seamlb_1&mode=video

video of it

It was confusing. Called Strike 1. Swinging Strike 2. At that point the announcer said "1-1" even though it was 0-2. Weird stuff.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
You know what I'd like to see? What was the scoreboard operator doing? If some a-hole up there had the wrong count the whole time, it's a little harder to blame the players. The ump still holds the responsibility, but even less so, as that stuff is there for them too.

EDIT: this should also have been a "score-along" fan/geeks wet dream. They sit there and keep track the whole game with visions of running down the isle with thier score-card waving like Joan Cusack in "Broadcast News", trying to save the day for the home team.

Derriz

Aug 7, 2008
Yeah. Somehow even the announcer and whoever was doing the scoreboard were also confused. Must have been some of that silly mist floating around the park that night.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
RL24 said:
1988RedSox said:
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2011_07_02_sdnmlb_seamlb_1&mode=video

video of it

It was confusing. Called Strike 1. Swinging Strike 2. At that point the announcer said "1-1" even though it was 0-2. Weird stuff.

Yeah I was listening on the radio, they adjusted themselves on the 0-2 count. At first they said here is the 0-2 pitch and they said my mistake, I guess it's 1 and 1.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
This entire thread would be moot if the Mariners had any offense. Seasons like the Mariners' hurlers have been having don't come around often and the offense is thoroughly wasting their efforts.

How many more 1-0, 2-0, 2-1 games are we going to lose? How many more gems from Vargas and Fister will we blow? Fister has now received two or fewer runs of support in 12 of 16 starts this season.

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
Let's talk about Doug Fister, in his last three games this is what he's done:

• 8 IP, 3 H, 1 BB, 1 ER, (and went 1-3 with an RBI in an NL game), and got a no decision in a game the M's blew in the 9th.
  • 8IP, 8 H, 0 BB, 1 ER, and got a no decision in a 2-1, 10-inning win (he scored the only M's run prior to the 10th).

• Yesterday's game, 9 IP, 1 BB, 7 K, 1 "ER", and takes a 1-0 loss.

If he got any run support he would be one known as one of the Mariners best pitchers. It is sad, that he only has three wins this season. Also, doesn't the next days pitcher have to chart the game? The fact is there's 1 million reasons why it should not have happened, nevertheless it did.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
It happens about once a season or so, usually doesn't lead to anything. I remember once in the 80s a hitter got to 4 balls but no one noticed, hitter, ump, pitcher, etc. The next pitch he lined a double. Umps need to make it very clear when they call a strike, or else not rely on the scoreboard for the count. That's what the little clicky things are for.

Members online

Latest posts