Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ah, I LOVE me some Spring Training... Phillies v FSU

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
WARNING: PICTURE INTENSIVE! Cell phones - abort now!

As some of you know, one of the things I do with my son is get pix of him at SPring Training games with players -- and he gets their autos on both a ball and eventually the picture. PLayers ALWAYS sign the pic of themselves and my son. Facebook friends of mine can see the 30-40 of these we've amassed over the years...

Had a great haul today. Great game. . . my college (FSU) vs. my Phillies.

Some of you may remember I hosted a clinic at my little league with Scott Mathieson and Vance Worley. This was a pic I took last year. Had it signed today... along with my son's jersey of his favorite Phillie. :)

Scan10038.jpg

IMG-20120229-00067.jpg

THe pics are unedited... just took em and uploaded. Enjoy.
IMG_5415.jpg

IMG_5416.jpg

IMG_5417.jpg

IMG_5418.jpg

IMG_5419.jpg

IMG_5420.jpg

IMG_5421.jpg

IMG_5422.jpg

IMG_5423.jpg

IMG_5424.jpg

IMG_5425.jpg

As you can see, we met with Jon Papelbon, Hunter Pence, Mike Schmidt (my child and my childhood hero), Joe Blanton, Pete Orr, Brian Schneider and Tyson Gillies. I had lunch last year with Tyson and we've communicated through email and twitter about both Scott Mathieson and potential opportunities for him to make a little money down here during the off season. He's a really great guy despite the reputation he may have received, and it was fun to talk to him for a few minutesbefore the game.

Hunter Pence was a total clown, interacting with and signing for a lot of people. He is going to be, if he's not already, a tremendous fan favorite in Philly.

My son got their auto as well as Shane Victorino's and a few others. Vic is a notoriously bad signer...

I think they saved Thome's pine tar covered helmet and got it out of mothballs because his helmet is already disgusting.

IMG_5427.jpg

IMG_5428.jpg

IMG_5429.jpg

IMG_5430.jpg

IMG_5431.jpg

IMG_5432.jpg

IMG_5433.jpg

IMG_5434.jpg

IMG_5435.jpg

IMG_5436.jpg

IMG_5437.jpg

IMG_5438.jpg

IMG_5439.jpg

IMG_5440.jpg

IMG_5441.jpg

IMG_5442.jpg

IMG_5443.jpg

IMG_5444.jpg

IMG_5445.jpg

IMG_5446.jpg

IMG_5447.jpg

IMG_5448.jpg

IMG_5449.jpg

IMG_5450.jpg

IMG_5451.jpg

IMG_5452.jpg

IMG_5453.jpg

IMG_5454.jpg

IMG_5455.jpg

IMG_5456.jpg

IMG_5457.jpg

IMG_5458.jpg

IMG_5459.jpg

IMG_5460.jpg

IMG_5461.jpg

IMG_5462.jpg

IMG_5463.jpg

IMG_5464.jpg

IMG_5465.jpg

IMG_5466.jpg

IMG_5467.jpg

IMG_5468.jpg

IMG_5469.jpg

IMG_5470.jpg

IMG_5471.jpg

IMG_5472.jpg

IMG_5473.jpg

IMG_5474.jpg

IMG_5475.jpg

IMG_5476.jpg

IMG_5477.jpg

IMG_5478.jpg

Clearwater-20120229-00066.jpg

fur72

Nov 19, 2010
Iowa
Wow great pics! Pence does kind of look like a goofball. Tall lankey kid. That Schmidt picture blows me away.

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
Awesome, thanks for sharing. You can see one of the many reasons that I collected Pence while he was here in Houston. He's a really good dude who obviously has a child-like enthusiasm for the game and, unfortunately, you just don't see that often enough anymore

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
It's interesting how differently teams have spring training. Maybe I was there at the wrong time, but I don't remember people being that close to players in the Tiger's camp.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
BowmanChromeAddict said:
Love this. Carson's got it so good. How did the Phil's do today?

Offense was flat until the 7th inning... granted, Utley, Chooch, and Howard didn't play... The subs started ripping into the guy the Noles put in and that was all it was...6-1 Phils.

The young Phillies future bullpen guys (Schwimmer, Rosenberg, Aumont, JC Ramirez) looked good against FSU as did the starter, Austin Hyatt.

I keep telling you to come down, Jim... I have a spare bedroom... there's no better place for you and your son than Bright House Field........

:)

You know how long I've been getting players to pose with him. The sheer quality and number of players was probably the best ever (2 HOFers in Thome and Schmidt, as well as studs Papelbon and Pence), and I could have had Vance pose again, but it seemed unnecessary. :)

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
nborton said:
It's interesting how differently teams have spring training. Maybe I was there at the wrong time, but I don't remember people being that close to players in the Tiger's camp.

Never been to the tigers camp in Lakeland... but I've been this close to the Phils ever since they moved to the new stadium. The players HAVE to walk down the 3rd base line to get off the field, or on it, so that's where ya camp out... I'm sure I've posted my older pictures of my son with other phillies... i'll find the link and post it.....

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
Bob Loblaw said:
nborton said:

Never been to the tigers camp in Lakeland... but I've been this close to the Phils ever since they moved to the new stadium. The players HAVE to walk down the 3rd base line to get off the field, or on it, so that's where ya camp out... I'm sure I've posted my older pictures of my son with other phillies... i'll find the link and post it.....

Ahh, that makes sense. That's kinda nice.

nbailey

Apr 2, 2010
I love everything about Hunter Pence (the high pants, the goofy running, the crashing through glass sliding doors to chase tail in Spring Training,etc.), everything...except that he's a Phillie. Even though his trade landed some serious prospects in Singleton, Cosart, and Santana - I miss him more than any other ex-Astro.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
nbailey said:
I love everything about Hunter Pence (the high pants, the goofy running, the crashing through glass sliding doors to chase tail in Spring Training,etc.), everything...except that he's a Phillie. Even though his trade landed some serious prospects in Singleton, Cosart, and Santana - I miss him more than any other ex-Astro.

My son lovs Reebok Zigtechs (and they've become my running shoe on his recommendation). Pence was/is the first ML'er to wear them, I believe - hence why we have a few pics of Pence's shoes.

He's a funny guy... the signal he's making that I didn't capture was a peace sign... I don't quite know what to call the face, but.. I can tell that Philly's gonna love him.

SirGabel

Feb 28, 2012
Wow, you all def had blast time today. I noticed Tyson Gillies so quickly. He's a deaf ball player and I collect his stuff in past few years. I have a huge deaf sports collection and Im hoping he's going to have a breaking year and get good name out of his soul. He got so much in him. He was once compared to Griffey's quickness. What's his twitter?

Thanks for sharing, sir-

trolea1234

Aug 7, 2008
nbailey said:

+1

Really hurt the day I found out he was traded. I am a huge Pence fan and had a really nice Pence collection at one time.

Members online

Latest posts