Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2024 Hobby goals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
My goals:

1) Shockingly, top of the list is keep adding to the Alomar PC.

2) I am thinking about resurrecting my Dave Parker PC from my childhood. I was cleaning out boxes from the basement as a part of the great "organize my life" project of late 2023, and I came across a binder with about 100 cards o' Dave. Thinking it might be fun to pick up pieces here and there. Dave's career was winding down just as Robbie's career was starting, so this could introduce me to an entirely different era of cards, well before junk wax and parallels and GU cards and 1/1's and all that sh*t.

3) Continue NOT buying new releases. For 2023, my final tally was 24 cards owned of a possible 257, or 9.3%. Looking to ramp this down further in 2024...

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
My main goal: complete the 1997 Finest master set. Bronze/Silver/Gold PLUS the embossed Silver and Gold.

Outside of that, help my sons with their collections. One collects Judge, the other collects Mariano Rivera like I do.

Oh, and finally get a decent scanner that can scan slabs.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Getting to be such that I can copy-paste my goals with minimal editing.
1) Continue chipping away at my 2021 Heritage Superset. I had been planning to transfer my mania to the 2024 Heritage set as 1975 Topps is my all-time favorite set, but it does not seem to be in the cards. They continue to make odds on good hits longer and longer to the point where it's not even fun to try. Of course, this will probably be the year they normalize the print runs on this product, make it fun again, and I don't preorder a case.
2) Finish 1941 Play Ball set. I only need 5, but they are Joe D, Dom D, Pee Wee, Greenberg, and Dickey. All the biggest names, won't be cheap, but I really need to finish this. I bought my first card over 30 years ago.
3) Get a really nice vintage piece. The ship has sailed on PSA 4 1951 Bowman Mantles at affordable prices, but 1952 Bowmans are still gettable. I picked up a PSA 7 Kareem rookie at the National, and I've been wanting Russell and Wilt RCs to go with it. Maybe I can swing 4s on those.
4) Chip away at my Magic collection wantlists, but I won't bore you here with that.
5) I've been selling Magic stuff at a good clip, and I've gotten over $3k from selling on COMC. Hopefully that will continue as I unwind my accumulations. That can lead to...
6) I registered a DBA last year to get tax benefits from the increased buying and selling. I hope to learn more about how all that works during tax time, and take advantage of reinvigorating the strictly fungible side of my collection.

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
1. Complete my Diamondbacks collection website (mid/higher-end stuff)
2. Begin work on my D-backs base card project website - I am attempting to catalogue all D-backs base ever created, and seeing how deep I can get into completing the full run from 1998-present. Can't imagine I'll ever actually complete that, but a more realistic goal than most other baseball teams given the team's young age.
2b. Actually pick up base cards towards this project, I have a lot of gaps to fill from the last decade or so.
3. Pick up (3) new Brandon Webb cards print run less than 100.
4. Continue my search for less-than-100 print run Diamondbacks cards from the '90s/early '00s
5. Continue to expand the Corbin collection - I'm happy with many of my pickups this year, but hoping his second year cards will be a wee bit more affordable.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I have not posted on one of these threads for years. It's not something I will monitor/track/report, but my hope is that this year, I buy less than the past year and start a slowing trend that will ultimately lead to me stepping back from collecting new stuff all together and finally moving towards liquidation.

This hobby has been a lifelong interest pf mine and I still love it, but the reality is that I need to have a plan to get rid of everything. The hope that my boys develop an interest late in the game dies a little more each year. I don't want to burden my family with dealing with rooms full of crap and if there is no interest in anyone inheriting it and the sale would be a burden, then why not try to enjoy the fruits of many years of hard work.

I don't see myself stopping easily, because every day I search ebay, I find multiple things I want, be in duplicates or new items. I am actually saddened by the prospect of not searching for or receiving something new in the mail. However, I could even now probably spend the rest of my life trying to get rid of what I have already accumulated without adding 1 more thing. It's a Catch 22!

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Yeah. I think about this kind of thing more and more as time goes on.

I have not posted on one of these threads for years. It's not something I will monitor/track/report, but my hope is that this year, I buy less than the past year and start a slowing trend that will ultimately lead to me stepping back from collecting new stuff all together and finally moving towards liquidation.

This hobby has been a lifelong interest pf mine and I still love it, but the reality is that I need to have a plan to get rid of everything. The hope that my boys develop an interest late in the game dies a little more each year. I don't want to burden my family with dealing with rooms full of crap and if there is no interest in anyone inheriting it and the sale would be a burden, then why not try to enjoy the fruits of many years of hard work.

I don't see myself stopping easily, because every day I search ebay, I find multiple things I want, be in duplicates or new items. I am actually saddened by the prospect of not searching for or receiving something new in the mail. However, I could even now probably spend the rest of my life trying to get rid of what I have already accumulated without adding 1 more thing. It's a Catch 22!

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
Yeah. I think about this kind of thing more and more as time goes on.
Agreed. The "exit plan" is a tough thing to establish and have it be useful. In my spot, I just like Clemens cards, but my kid does not know of him aside from my room. So, he won't care, unless he cares because they were "dad's". But realistically, Clemens collections will NOT be a desired thing after my generation is gone, and I'm in my 40s. It's not like there will be a Clemens museum anywhere, or even a card-collecting museum for my cards to end up in lol.

No young people care about him as collectors to any useful degree. It's not like Mantle, or Aaron, or Jr, or Jeter, or Bonds etc, even though a sa pitcher I think there should be (tale for another time). The couple dozen or so of us Clemens folks still gathering his stuff all essentially have 85% of the same stuff, and are close in general age (there are no 15 years olds I know of seeking
The Rocket haha), so there won't be any sales to other collectors that show a major "gain" in liquidation.

Admittedly, we would all probably cherry-pick a handful of each other's stuff if given a chance, but en masse, we are mostly all set with the bulk of each other's stashes because we all have most of it. And will we really be inclined to spend any money on it all in 15, 20 or 25 years? I'll be 60 to 70. what rational reason would I, or anyone else, have to buy at that point?

I enjoy moving my stuff around in display ideas, etc, but it's just about enjoyment in the "now". Not sure I am super concerned about "burdening" anyone. It's a room that can be cleaned out in an hour or so with little care if it all goes to the dumpster, or 4 hours with good care and boxing if someone wants it. I chalk the $ spent up to "going out to dinner". We don't recupe that $ when we pass, so I'm not worried about the cards either I guess. Sorta morbid, but it is what it is. Writing this makes me re-examine why I keep buying, but there is an enjoyment factor of getting "new" old stuff I didn't have yet, so I'll stick with that! My cars will be something to worry about passing along/selling/liquidating before I go, my cards, not so much.

Members online

Latest posts