Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Need information on this Thome card

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spikes

Jan 2, 2009
I recently got this card, but can not find it listed on beckett guide. Any info will be appreciated.

2012-03-17200415.jpg

2012-03-17200429.jpg

Thanks

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
If I remember correctly, there was a giveaway/redemption for an entire topps set #d /10.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but that is what I remember.

skrip

MantMaris

Jul 29, 2010
Wisconsin
The only card I see #/10 in 2006 Topps Thome is a Home Run Derby Contest card. The other is a patch from Update.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
If you have one, it's a pretty special item. In 2006 Topps they had redemption cards for the ASG home run derby. IIRC, each redemption card has a player on it, and if that player won the derby, you could redeem your card for the complete blue parallel set of 2006 Topps. These cards were really rare, 1:1000s of packs. As far as is known, only one person actually found one of these winning cards and redeemed it. He posted it on the Beckett boards a few years back, took some offers on singles, wanting a pretty stiff price for what was then thought to be a #/10 set, but then generally disappeared. Cards like this surface from time to time, but they're very tough, probably a mostly complete set is still sitting in someone's closet. If it was to be broken up, it'd make for a very interesting study, essentially a complete set of 1/1s.

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
Very interesting story. I have a player I collect in the 06 set, and didn't know anything about this. Did they do this for other years too? I pulled this out of a pack of 08 Topps last year, I will have to read the back to see what the prize was if you won.

SCAN1129.jpg

spikes

Jan 2, 2009
Thanks for the information. I got this because I was looking to start collecting a player not as expensive as Griffey had been as of late. I remember the Griffey from this set was sold about 2 to 3 years ago.

GriffeyFan

Nov 28, 2011
spikes said:
Thanks for the information. I got this because I was looking to start collecting a player not as expensive as Griffey had been as of late. I remember the Griffey from this set was sold about 2 to 3 years ago.

Any clue on the price it went for?

Crazy how only 1 set got redeemed,I could see player collectors,and even set collectors going nuts for these.

A_Pharis

smapdi said:
If you have one, it's a pretty special item. In 2006 Topps they had redemption cards for the ASG home run derby. IIRC, each redemption card has a player on it, and if that player won the derby, you could redeem your card for the complete blue parallel set of 2006 Topps. These cards were really rare, 1:1000s of packs. As far as is known, only one person actually found one of these winning cards and redeemed it. He posted it on the Beckett boards a few years back, took some offers on singles, wanting a pretty stiff price for what was then thought to be a #/10 set, but then generally disappeared. Cards like this surface from time to time, but they're very tough, probably a mostly complete set is still sitting in someone's closet. If it was to be broken up, it'd make for a very interesting study, essentially a complete set of 1/1s.

It was like 1:25000 retail packs, I know... because I pulled one out of a blaster. Each Contest card featured a player that was POSSIBLY in the HR Derby. Each card was also #'d to 10 (one for each possible set to be won). I pulled a horribly package krimped Hank Blalock (who ended up not even participating).

#7 of 10 was the only set to be redeemed... so yeah, it SHOULD be a 1/1 (until the rest gets backdoored)

A_Pharis

spikes

Jan 2, 2009
The price of the Griffey was something like 150-200 range but I can be wrong. I just remember topps blue #ed to 10. Actually $9.99; with the economy these days a penny saved is a penny earned :D

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
spikes said:
The price of the Griffey was something like 150-200 range but I can be wrong. I just remember topps blue #ed to 10. Actually $9.99; with the economy these days a penny saved is a penny earned :D
I wonder who ended up with the Griffey?

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
The guy who won the contest was on here I believe. I remember him selling the cards both here and on ebay, mostly using BINs.

Jack Straw

May 10, 2009
@ a Baseball Card Show
I know Lance has the Frank Thomas. The Granderson was posted here awile back.
As far as the 2 griffeys they were auctioned off by buttercontrol a couple months
back. The regular went for pretty good money I want to say 260 and the big reds went
for a little over a 100. I belive Kurdelski won them both?

Members online

Latest posts