Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1975 Topps #133 Dan Driessen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Perhaps surprising to most, this card regularly sells in the $150-200 range in a PSA 9 slab, and in the $50 range in a PSA 8 slab. So why so much?

Is it his rookie card? Nope, his RC was in 1974 and often goes unsold in a PSA 9 (or SGC 96) slab when it is listed with BINs over $20. The last 9 that closed at auction sold for less than $10.

There are a few reasons why this card is so valuable. First, the 1975 Topps set is becoming more collectible. The Gary Carter RC used to sell in the $40-50 range as a PSA 8, but it has surged in the past few months to the $100-120 range. With HOFers George Brett, Robin Yount, Jim Rice, and Carter with RCs, as well as the RC of popular Keith Hernandez, this set will remain in demand indefinitely. PSA 8s of many star cards have seen increases of 25-50% over the last few years. Many PSA 9s of star cards rival the PSA 9 price of the Brett RC (which usually sells in the $600 range), such as the Mike Schmidt which recently sold for $900, and Reggie Jackson which recently sold for $400.

Secondly, Driessen was a member of the Big Red Machine which won the 1975 World Series. Team sets of WS winning teams are becoming increasingly popular for PSA Registry collectors, as putting together 25-30 cards is much easier than completing a 660 card set.

Thirdly, and probably the biggest reason, the Driessen card was located on the top row of one of the five 132 card sheets Topps printed that year (it was the 6th of 11 cards in the row). Because the top row was printed flush to the sheet's border, this card is almost always off center, and is subject to the "snow" printing defect which occurred as the ink was just getting started on the sheet. This snow is more visible on the Driessen than most cards because of its dark background.

All of these factors add up to a rather expensive common card for those that are trying to complete a high grade 1975 Topps set.

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
Awe man, now I feel like an idiot. I specifically remember getting one of these from the million card giveaway and giving it away for a random card from 1962.

/10

Aug 1, 2011
SydBarrett said:
Awe man, now I feel like an idiot. I specifically remember getting one of these from the million card giveaway and giving it away for a random card from 1962.

Don't worry, that one was probably chewed up by a dog at some point.

Bigfan5

Aug 7, 2008
Nice write-up. I think your second reason might be the largest factor in the high price as the PSA 9 is rather obtainable with a population of 30. There are quite a few lower pop 75's that I paid less for than the Driessen and all I can point to are the team collectors. It also doesn't hurt that there are no PSA 10's of the card available.

On a totally separate note, I just hit #1 on the 75 Topps Dodgers set! Very happy about that.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Bigfan5 said:
Nice write-up. I think your second reason might be the largest factor in the high price as the PSA 9 is rather obtainable with a population of 30. There are quite a few lower pop 75's that I paid less for than the Driessen and all I can point to are the team collectors. It also doesn't hurt that there are no PSA 10's of the card available.

On a totally separate note, I just hit #1 on the 75 Topps Dodgers set! Very happy about that.

I just checked out all your 75 sets and noticed your Tanana is a PSA 8. That card was the upper right corner card on the Driessen sheet, and is another tough one. That sheet also has the Brett and Yount RCs, but they are in the middle of the sheet.

Bigfan5

Aug 7, 2008
leatherman said:
Bigfan5 said:

I just checked out all your 75 sets and noticed your Tanana is a PSA 8. That card was the upper right corner card on the Driessen sheet, and is another tough one. That sheet also has the Brett and Yount RCs, but they are in the middle of the sheet.

I have to scan a lot more of the set but yes, the Tanana is an 8 because there are only 9 9's in existence. I have a feeling that'll be the toughest 9 to find and if I ever get so lucky it'll be about 1500.00 or more for it.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
You might be a [strike:by86yi2c]redneck[/strike:by86yi2c] person with way too much money when u spend $200 for a dime common

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
BBCgalaxee said:
You might be a [strike:35pc9xec]redneck[/strike:35pc9xec] person with way too much money when u spend $200 for a dime common

You could say the same about people who spend $100s to $1,000s on cards of players who have yet to swing a bat or throw a pitch in a ML game. :mrgreen:

Bigfan5

Aug 7, 2008
BBCgalaxee said:
You might be a [strike:1cgjc9e6]redneck[/strike:1cgjc9e6] person with way too much money when u spend $200 for a dime common

I guess the 700 on the Boog Powell PSA 9 was too much then? Never knew that made me a redneck....Maybe I'll start the Los Angeles chapter.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Prices of PSA cards are largely driven by registry participants, and the registry is driven by populations. All the factors mentioned contribute to low populations so even 8s can be stunningly pricey. I didn't know Driessen was still so high, but I completed my PSA 8 set almost 6 years ago. Back when I was building the set 2002-2006, the Tanana was one of the tough ones, as were Jack Heidemann, Will McEnaney (another Red), Marty Perez, the Cubs team card, and about 15-20 others. I haven't looked at the pop reports in years, but I wouldn't be surprised if those cards still lagged significantly behind others for 8-9s. However, as even more money has flowed into that area of the hobby, 9s are becoming the target of more collectors, and 8s reduced to placeholder status. Also, they introduced the .5 grades long after I finished with it, so it dilutes the value of 8s that much more. That makes me and my 8.03 GPA set sad.

I remember when the first McEnaney 8 hit. As the nexus between Reds collectors and complete set builders, it sold for $255. It was the last card in the entire set to have an example to grade 8 (no 9-10 were yet found, either), so it was heavily coveted. I don't know if any 1975T 8s have gone that high since, I doubt it. I can't recall what I got mine for, probably about $50 or so.

Wow, I just looked and a complete PSA 8 set sold for $7000. I spent less than $6000 on mine altogether. I've been toying with the idea of selling but was sure I'd take a loss. This is heartening.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
smapdi said:
I remember when the first McEnaney 8 hit. As the nexus between Reds collectors and complete set builders, it sold for $255. It was the last card in the entire set to have an example to grade 8 (no 9-10 were yet found, either), so it was heavily coveted. I don't know if any 1975T 8s have gone that high since, I doubt it. I can't recall what I got mine for, probably about $50 or so.

The McEnaney was the upper right corner card (just like the Tanana) on a different sheet. PSA 8s still typically go for $35-40.

The Claudell Washington card deserves at least a mention in this thread as well. 8s sell for around $20, but 9s go for about $400.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I love 75 topps and have about half the set completed. But as soon as I started putting it together, and realized just how hard it was and costly it was to put a high grade set together, I just gave up on trying and am content with just putting one together. I do like to get the best condition card I can, especially for the stars and the key rookies. But I'm not shelling out $50 for a common let alone several hundred. I will say this though...most of my cards between 1968-1978 are in pretty decent condition(meaning I'd say most would grade at the very worst a 4, but mostly in the 5-7 range) save for a few of the stars. I don't like creased cards or bent cards or severely miscut cards. I'm pretty picky. If it's prior to 68, a crease here or there doesn't bother me a whole lot and in some cases, I have some that aren't in the greatest condition. But I don't mind having them in my collection and they don't cost me a premium.

Putting together high grade sets pre 1978 is a rich man's game. I'm not rich.

Bigfan5

Aug 7, 2008
Bumping this old thread, because this PSA 9 McEnaney just went for $1136: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-TOPPS-481-WILL-MCENANEY-PSA-9-REDS-SET-BREAK-C2389-/261039636898?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item3cc72cc1a2#ht_500wt_942

Damn 1975 Reds set collectors.

Sorry, that was me. Not a Reds collector but a full set collector. There are a few of us putting the set together that need that one at a 9 which is why the price went so high. And unfortunately, that wasn't the highest I've spend on a common in this set.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Sorry, that was me. Not a Reds collector but a full set collector. There are a few of us putting the set together that need that one at a 9 which is why the price went so high. And unfortunately, that wasn't the highest I've spend on a common in this set.

Nice job. I gotta ask...what was the common? Was it a 9 or a 10? I'm guessing Giusti.

Latest posts