Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Robert Edward Auctions - Did anybody get anything??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
Robert Edward Auctions - Did anybody get anything?? (Scans added)

The big Robert Edward Auction ended on Saturday. Here is part of an email I received from them. It looks like it was very successful. They had some really incredible stuff!!

"Robert Edward Auctions would like to thank the entire collecting community, and especially all of the consignors and bidders, for your tremendous support! It is greatly appreciated! While there is a lot more to measuring the success of an auction than just total sales, by any measure this was one of the most successful auctions in the history of collecting: Total auction proceeds were $9.56 million. A remarkable 23,781 bids were placed. 1631 out of the 1639 lots sold (99.51%). An incredible 665 different winners took home at least one lot. This last statistic all alone is particularly significant in our eyes as the number of different winners per lot illustrates the extraordinary depth of the market and breadth of participation in the auction. It is also a very positive reflection of the strength of the hobby in general."

I added a bunch of HOFer autos that I will show off later when I get them. I only spent half of my budget too. :)

I would love to know if anyone else got anything cool!!

Last edited:

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
Here is what I got from the auction...

1960 Fleer Auto Lot (25 Autos)

Juanf-6.jpg

Juanb-1.jpg

1960Fleer3.jpg

Ty Cobb Signed check (PSA 8)

Juanf-5.jpg

For my HOFer Auto collection I added 8 new ones that I consider tough and upgrades for several others.

New ones for me:

Cobb, Grove, Rice, Giles, Wheat, Manush, Sisler, Schalk.

Last edited:

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
$800 and I was very happy with that. On the low end the signed checks go for $750 up to $1200. This one was also already slabbed by PSA with an auto grade of 8.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Wow, what a haul! I love those old Fleer card, and that is a great lot.

Unfortunately, every HOF auto that I needed in the auction went over 3 grand, which I don't have.

The Josh Gibson/Ray Brown auto notebook went for 25K!

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
Wow, what a haul! I love those old Fleer card, and that is a great lot.

Unfortunately, every HOF auto that I needed in the auction went over 3 grand, which I don't have.

The Josh Gibson/Ray Brown auto notebook went for 25K!

Thanks MB. I don't know why, but I really love the old Fleer cards too!!

I couldn't believe how high some of the autos went. I was really eyeballing a Ruth signed golf item. I really wish I would have pulled the trigger on it since it went for only $2,000. Oh well...

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
They don't have Chrome in their auctions:D.Great pick ups.I would spend $800 all day on a Cobb check over a case of any new product.

I know...why would anybody want to buy anything historic with players who actually had outstanding careers instead of spending a small fortune speculating on a bunch of players who will end up amounting to somewhere between jack and squat.

coltsnsox07

Aug 19, 2008
I bid on a bunch of stuff and lost everyone(from bids placed like 6 hours after it ended!) The Dickens check, Hancock document, a Lincoln document, 1915 photos of Babe Ruth, the same thing happened to me last auction, I just don't like that rule!

coltsnsox07

Aug 19, 2008
This was one of the 13 photos in the lot I lost, spring training 1915.

Attachments

• Item_22655_1.jpg
    Item_22655_1.jpg
    407.7 KB · Views: 35

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
Nice Grove! I have both '60 Fleer versions auto'd by him. He's kinda my guy as I grew up in Norwalk, OH. The '60 Fleers are great cards to have auto's on. Nice Williams too.

And that Cobb check is Great!!

Congrats on the win!

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Congrats on the Cobb! I'd make some comment about his "signature green ink" but alas I don't remember what was so ridiculous about it

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I know...why would anybody want to buy anything historic with players who actually had outstanding careers instead of spending a small fortune speculating on a bunch of players who will end up amounting to somewhere between jack and squat.

They like to gamble? If you spent $800 on Strasburg at the right time, and sold them at the right time, your $800 could turn into $4000 in a couple years. It's probably going to be a long time before the Cobb check is worth that much. With the case, you could pull a Superfractor worth $15K and instantly turn your $800 into $15K. Will the Cobb ever be worth that much?

Also, spending $800 on prospects takes a long time, involves lots of searching and researching (and re-searching), and some people enjoy that. Opening a case has got to be a blast for anybody I'd imagine, and there's a lot of work involved to keep you busy. There is a gambling aspect to both of those. The Cobb was really a boring purchase, and it will spend most of its time just sitting there.

Personally, I would buy the Cobb every time if given the choice between the three options, but... I do understand why other people wouldn't.

Great haul from the auction, you did well!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts