Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oscar Taveras vs Matt Davidson

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greg Lewis

May 6, 2012
Look at their stats, they are almost identical.

Count down until Matt Davidson gets some hobby love...........3.................2...............!

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
Except one is 21 at AA; which isn't bad, and the other is 19. One plays for a young expansion team and one plays for a franchise with a huge fan base. One is a corner infielder, the other a center fielder. Numbers are close, the variables aren't.

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
Except one is 21 at AA; which isn't bad, and the other is 19. One plays for a young expansion team and one plays for a franchise with a huge fan base. One is a corner infielder, the other a center fielder. Numbers are close, the variables aren't.
Yup can't under estimate the age difference and position scarcity.

Greg Lewis

May 6, 2012
Fair enough. I was purely looking at the numbers. Thank you for bringing something to the table.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
Maybe look at their LHP/RHP splits? Taveras is in Pedro Alvarez territory with how he is against lefties. The main reason I've not bought in to him is that he hits lefties at a far worse clip (still good, but not exceptional), and that he doesn't take walks and is a high BABIP guy (.444 in 2011). I got burned with a high BABIP guy (Ronald Torreyes), and am very skeptical about guys that mash from one side of the plate and rely on a lot of contact with a very low walk rate. High BABIP guys are prone to far more fluctuation in production, so for me, he is worrisome.

Davidson's splits are far less disparate, and he seems to take far more walks. I haven't bought into him, but if I were to pick one, it'd be him.

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
Maybe look at their LHP/RHP splits? Taveras is in Pedro Alvarez territory with how he is against lefties. The main reason I've not bought in to him is that he hits lefties at a far worse clip (still good, but not exceptional), and that he doesn't take walks and is a high BABIP guy (.444 in 2011). I got burned with a high BABIP guy (Ronald Torreyes), and am very skeptical about guys that mash from one side of the plate and rely on a lot of contact with a very low walk rate. High BABIP guys are prone to far more fluctuation in production, so for me, he is worrisome.

Davidson's splits are far less disparate, and he seems to take far more walks. I haven't bought into him, but if I were to pick one, it'd be him.
Taveras has an .853 OPS against lefties...He doesn't walk a ton, but he also doesn't strike out a lot either. Right now, his BABIP is fairly sustainable and it will be interesting to see if this is his normal range or if he will regress any more. It would be nice to see more walks, but he makes contact, which is obviously better than K'ing.

Last edited:

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
You are certainly right that making contact is better than K'ing, but look at Ronald Torreyes' year-to-year stats. While Torreyes may be a guy that doesn't make as strong a contact as Taveras (a guy that smacks the ball harder might be less prone to BABIP regression), he is a good example of what can happen to guys that do not strike out or walk much. Pretty striking in Torreyes' case, I think.

I think he'll certainly make the bigs and be a good player, but I really don't see how I can justify the buy-in to myself at this point. As you get to higher levels, pitchers know how to pitch to guys that don't take pitches, plus you get more advanced fielders and shifts and such. Coupled with his incredibly violent Guerrero-esque swing, I'm a little skeptical. I think as he progresses levels, he'll regress a bit. My guess would be a .850 OPS ML player, with .700 against lefties and 1.000 against RHP. But, then, my guesses are notoriously worthless.

He'll be a fun player to watch, but one that I won't buy at 45ish for a Chrome Auto.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
Has anyone confirmed that Tavares is actually 19? Just sayin' (with all the issues with forged birth certificates etc.)....

Members online

Latest posts