Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

International buyer wants me to pay his customs duties?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
Sold a card for $135 to Canada a week ago. I normally send all of my international packages via registered mail to have tracking and insurance. In order to get the insurance you have to declare the value of the merchandise in the package. Well, I get a message today from the buyer stating that he had to pay $48 in duties on the package and he wants me to split the cost with him. Has this happened to anyone else and if so, what did you do?

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Haven't had this happen myself, but I just don't ship internationally anymore. There are enough collectors in the US to make the sales you want to make without the headaches of shipping out of the country.

cstmleather

Jan 14, 2009
He should know this can happen. Save the email incase he decides to leave a negative cause of it. Only way around this is to send as "gift" but I wouldn't recommend it.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
the customs fees are fierce. I had a guy bitch about it but i told him it was insured and had a declared value they should know better. In short its not the sellers responsibility to pay the buyers customs fees. this is like a buyers premium at auction.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Sold a card for $135 to Canada a week ago. I normally send all of my international packages via registered mail to have tracking and insurance. In order to get the insurance you have to declare the value of the merchandise in the package. Well, I get a message today from the buyer stating that he had to pay $48 in duties on the package and he wants me to split the cost with him. Has this happened to anyone else and if so, what did you do?

Tell him to take it out of your taxes that he will be paying half of this year since you guys are going halfsies.

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
sigh~ jeff, honestly, that sucks...

as a buyer in canada, number one, he should've known about the possibility of the customs fee. i guess he thought US buyers would mark it as $1 value or something. however, with the fact that this wasn't even discussed before your transaction was placed, you are not liable for even a cent, man..

if you do not meet that half, he can neg you for it. as for him opening a dispute, i guess it's harder since he's already "paid" for customs fee so sending it back to you for the money back doesn't make sense...

as long as the delivery shows as delivered, as well as saving all incoming emails about him receiving the card and "extorting" for half the customs fee, the worst case would be a neg if you stand your ground..

i wouldn't go halfsies no matter what...but that's just me

keep us posted and a id would be swell

hope it just blows over, bro

dave

gonzagacubs

Aug 7, 2008
Glenpool, OK
I had this happen to me a few months back. Basically the guy got mad because I wouldn't lie about the value of the package. As a seller, it is not our responsibility to pay the tariffs and or customs taxes. If he has a problem with it, he needs to take it up with the Canadian Postal and his government.

Now, if you really want to get technical, by putting a value of $1 or somethin of the sort on a package that clearly has more value than what you declared, that's mail fraud.

Members online

Latest posts