Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Fun Customs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I am a select fan of custom cards. I admit when it was new, seeing some cool card images thrilled the collector in me. A few of us grew up with just Topps, then later Fleer and Donruss. You got what they gave you. There were some excellent cards made, but from the customs I have seen, a lot of lost potential on what could have been. That subject has even been subset and insert sets, but still there are some big misses. Custom cards give creative people a chance to show the world what could have been.

That said, the market is becoming overrun with them. Obvious customs are great, but sometimes people walk a very thin line between custom and "reprint". I can't comment on the legality of making these cards with images or players, teams, logos, etc. I'm sure there are issues there in some cases. If Panini can't show a Dodgers logo, why can a custom card show it (if they are boing sold)? I guess the obvious answer is you can't chase down ever single little guy selling his own customs for a few bucks each, where as Panini is pumping out millions of cards.

Still, I enjoy a well made custom and there seems to be a few makers out there that have taken it to the next level. I am not talking Mouschi level here and guessing he could probably master this style if he chose to do so, but great images that have the real look and feel of vintage pieces. A few come to my mind instantly, Banty Red and Helmar. I am sure there are a few others I have yet to discover, because if you are not making the players I look for, I am probably going to miss you unless someone does something like this and points me in the right direction.

I just bought this card on ebay and the seller appears to go by the "brand name", Sporting Life, with these cards. This is modeled after the T2020 Hassan Triple Folder cards issued in the early 1900s. They are made distressed, to give them an old card look and feel. I was quite happy with this item and it was purchased knowing exactly what it was, a small piece of art. I paid about $20 plus s/h. I bought it because of Al Oliver, but perhaps if it did not have Clemente, I might have gotten it for under $10. The seller claims these are each unique pieces, but who knows..only time will tell. Maybe he'll issue more of the same card at a later date. Although they are not cookie cutter, it would make mine no longer unique. I don't really care a whole lot about that aspect.

If you like this kind of thing and he has someone you collect, I suggest you give him a try. The card was sent quickly, well packaged and is a fine piece of work. I would buy from him again, and actually, just asked if he does requests. He did provide a "contact card" with my order for direct inquiries. I am not sure if it is OK to share his direct email here though. I'm guessing he would not mind, but you can definitely reach him through ebay or I can share via PM on request.

s-l1600.jpgScreen Shot 2020-10-15 at 4.37.10 PM.png

And as I wrote this up, I won another card to add to the collection, Rod Carew, for a much nicer $7.50! s-l1600.jpg

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
I dig some of the customs being produced, but don’t chase them all by any means. There’s some out there that just don’t look very good and I avoid them. I haven’t added any from the creators you mentioned above but will keep an eye out for a potential Puckett from them.

I have a handful of creators that I look forward to seeing what they come up with and actively buy from them. I consider these new ACEO customs to be modern day Broder type cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I consider these new ACEO customs to be modern day Broder type cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

They are definitely unlicensed and unauthorized. I am not sure where intellectual rights end and creative freedoms begin, but I think because the broder name developed a negative image with all the plain jane junk that was shoved down everyone's throats in the late 80s/early 90s, it is not fair to compare the two. I could see the thin paper cards that took an online image and mashed it together with an existing Topps design, for example, are definitely broder worthy. When someone is drawing, digitizing or otherwise modifying something to create a new design, I think the ACEO name is more appropriate.

At least the three outfits I named (and I'm sure more) make beautiful renditions that are clearly not simply run a bunch of low quality cheap sheets, cut them with your paper cutter, slap a $3 price on it and let them rip. These take time and are creations of love.

I am not sure they will grab hold of a niche in the collecting world that will see them recognized down the line, but time will tell. I still see people posting broder-type cards from the 80s/90s, having just discovered them and enjoying them for what they are. I see these creations as 100X the joy and quality. I will also offer this disclaimer: I am not affiliated with any of these custom card makers, I was asked to nor am I compensated for spreading the word, I am just a fan of the work.

Members online

Latest posts